Not connected, Your IP: 3.81.139.99
Terry Stanford

Eddie conflicting with other VPNs?

I have Eddie installed but not running and not set to autorun.
I also have another VPN service installed and I am using that at the moment. It is VPN.ac. They have a usually reliable kill switch and it's permanently activated in my machine. However I just found my browser tabs were loading and emails coming into mail program while disconnected from VPN.ac's servers, and Kill switch IS active. This shouldn't happen and I am wondering if Eddie could be conflicting with it even if it isn't running, is that possible? For example some of the rules Eddie may set in my system, could they interfere with another VPN app?
PS I did notice when I had both running (when I installed the other one) that NEITHER VPN's kill switch worked when both apps were running so it does look like two VPN's can conflict and "kill" the kill switch!

Depends on the nature of this "kill switch" and how it works. Eddie forces WFP or firewall rules. If any other app is doing the same, I see potential for a conflict. But Eddie does not force those rules without you actively enabling it or you actively enabling the setting to force them at launch. If you let Eddie run without connecting, nothing should happen. But again, I don't know VPN.ac's approach.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

The Windows Filtering Platform, which is exactly what the name suggests, a platform/interface allowing filtering of many sorts.

Same thing applies. It could use the application filtering interface or the firewall (which is called pf on macOS). But since the former was limited in some crucial ways in latest versions of macOS, I'd assume VPN.ac is using the firewall, and Eddie does the same, so there is potential for conflict. But as I wrote, Eddie forces its rules only if explicitly requested or the option to add the firewall rules on launch is enabled.

Thanks. But I don't really understand much of what you said. To simplify, is there something you can suggest I do, to avoid any conflict? Or should I just completely uninstall Eddie?
thanks

8 hours ago, Terry Stanford said:

To simplify, is there something you can suggest I do, to avoid any conflict? Or should I just completely uninstall Eddie?

You're on the AirVPN forums, by the way. The obvious recommendation would be to uninstall VPN.ac. :D

haha, yes, of course!!
I need at least one more VPN for machine limits and to mix up my IP profile a bit plus a few other benefits.
I think there must be something a bit odd with my machine, no idea what, but Eddie also disconnects randomly when my machine is in standby which i dont think happens to others. I switch between this machine and another on my desk, for 20-30 minutes on average. Both machines are running Eddie (both macs) When i come back to this machine as i did about 5 times today, 4 out of 5 times its still connected, the other time it disconnected when I unlocked it (or it was already disconnected) and i had the usual nightmare getting Eddie to connect again (stuck on Checking IPV4 route). After 3 restarts of Eddie it finally made a connection. Hence I think there must be something a bit messed up with my local system. The other mac never does this, it's always connected when I unlock it, even after days of sitting idle.
Thanks