Not connected, Your IP: 18.209.209.28

Sorry if this is a dumb question but being new to Linux, I have to ask it...

I am running an Ubuntu VPS. I am happy to start Eddie via CLI only as I won't need access to GUI desktop environment much. If I install Eddie via CLI, will that install the Eddie GUI as well or are they two separate things? thanks

I have managed to install Eddie CLI, eventually! I used the .deb package.
I don't know how to set it up with a preferred server, my login details etc. Am I right in thinking I can download a file from the config generator (as I would for vanilla openvpn) and my Eddie installation will use whatever settings are in that file?
If so, please could someone tell me which folder the config file should be put in after I download it.
Thanks

5 hours ago, Terry Stanford said:

If I install Eddie via CLI, will that install the Eddie GUI as well or are they two separate things?

eddie-ui is the package, it installs an eddie-ui binary and you can call the cli version with the --cli option to eddie-ui, as demonstrated in one of your other threads:

$ eddie-ui --cli

4 hours ago, Terry Stanford said:

I don't know how to set it up with a preferred server, my login details etc. Am I right in thinking I can download a file from the config generator (as I would for vanilla openvpn) and my Eddie installation will use whatever settings are in that file?

While Eddie supports parsing .ovpn config files, it's first and foremost a convenient way to access AirVPN services directly, so no ovpn file is needed. Eddie uses the settings in its own config file ~/.config/Eddie/default.profile. They're primarily set from the GUI Preferences, not sure if setting the CLI options change them in that file as well. The CLI options are detailed in the manual, man eddie-ui for more info.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I read "man eddie-ui" and it's a bit beyond me due to lack of linux understanding. Can you please tell me something.... if I download linux GUI version of Eddie, am I right in thinking I will then able to issue commands from CLI if needed, so i have the choice of GUI or CLI? If so, that's way easier for me and I can use the GUI to set up my preferred servers etc, then just use the CLI command to connect when needed.
Thanks

13 hours ago, Terry Stanford said:

Can you please tell me something.... if I download linux GUI version of Eddie, am I right in thinking I will then able to issue commands from CLI if needed, so i have the choice of GUI or CLI? If so, that's way easier for me and I can use the GUI to set up my preferred servers etc, then just use the CLI command to connect when needed.

This statement is correct.

The CLI is included in the Eddie-UI executable, so no.

@Terry Stanford

Hello!

You may consider AirVPN Suite, so you can even uninstall Mono (which is needed even if you run Eddie in CLI mode only). https://airvpn.org/suite/readme/

Evaluate which solution between Hummingbird and Bluetit+Goldcrest couple suits your needs.. In both cases you will save about 200 MB of RAM, and in some cases up to 1 GB RAM, which can be very precious in general and especially in a VPS.

Kind regards

Hello.

I have placed sites I want outside of the VPN in Routes in the Eddie GUI version. If I run eddie-cli, would eddie-cli honour my settings in the GUI? I am using both versions on Debian 12 Linux.

Thank you.

4 hours ago, fudgelfreck said:

I have placed sites I want outside of the VPN in Routes in the Eddie GUI version. If I run eddie-cli, would eddie-cli honour my settings in the GUI? I am using both versions on Debian 12 Linux.

Sure.