Not connected, Your IP: 54.224.124.217
Mad_Max

Bitcoin ATMs that don't require ID?

Hello guys
I m a newbie to the bitcoin world, and I found couple of weeks ago in Europe (Germany) couple of ATMs that you just put cash in it and wallet number and they will transfer bitcoin to the wallet using just cash without any IDs or fingerprints...

My question is,
are those machines trustable? and how can I find these ones that don't require ID near me?
for instance, what keyword do I have to write in Google maps to find these ATMs? (privacy irony I know xD)

thanks

We've got such Bitcoin ATMs in Germany? Tell me more.
But I'd probably say "steer clear", because all ATMs have got cameras.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

5 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

We've got such Bitcoin ATMs in Germany? Tell me more.
But I'd probably say "steer clear", because all ATMs have got cameras.

Haha yea we got some here.
I found a couple but they are way far away from where I live. And yes there are cameras. but as I mentioned above, they require no ID or any other kind of identification, just put the wallet number you want to transfer to, put the money and thats it.

I wonder if someone else have any idea about this and can help us out :D

11 hours ago, Mad_Max said:

And yes there are cameras. but as I mentioned above, they require no ID or any other kind of identification

Of course they don't, because the ID is done through the camera. If there were an ATM without ID, it'd probably be shut down within three days. Germans are quite thorough when it comes to money and the faintest possibility of laundering it, unless you're friends with the finance agency. :)

On 2/7/2021 at 10:47 AM, OpenSourcerer said:

Of course they don't, because the ID is done through the camera. If there were an ATM without ID, it'd probably be shut down within three days. Germans are quite thorough when it comes to money and the faintest possibility of laundering it, unless you're friends with the finance agency. :)
hahaha yea thats true xD

On 2/7/2021 at 11:47 AM, OpenSourcerer said:

Of course they don't, because the ID is done through the camera.

Hi,

since when in Germany ATMs perform identification via facial recognition without informing the citizen? What facial database are they authorized to access to have a match?

Kind regards

On 2/26/2021 at 10:32 AM, Staff said:

since when in Germany ATMs perform identification via facial recognition without informing the citizen? What facial database are they authorized to access to have a match?

They… don't…? I never wrote this process is automatic.

@OpenSourcerer

So, how is it possible that the ATMs described by @Mad_Max (which actually exist for sure) can be used in Germany to aggregate ex-post all the anonymous transactions of each person performing them, and provided that this is possible, how is it possible to link that video footage to an identity (for example if the aggregated withdrawals total exceeds some anti-laundering limit by law). This is technically very interesting and raises questions on the fundamental right to privacy. If confirmed, it may be advisable to use ATM with facial masks, glasses and adequate hats, which make facial recognition impossible (currently).

Kind regards

5 minutes ago, Staff said:

So, how is it possible that the ATMs described by @Mad_Max (which actually exist for sure) can be used in Germany to aggregate ex-post all the anonymous transactions of each person performing them, and provided that this is possible, how is it possible to link that video footage to an identity (for example if the aggregated withdrawals total exceeds some anti-laundering limit by law).

You are interpreting way too much into my words. I never wrote anything about any aggregation.
What I can write for sure is that if someone stole a credit card for example and attempted to withdraw money with that card, the police publically showed in the past that they have camera feeds from when it happened. They are matching this and other suspected faces with pan-European criminal databases (I wouldn't know which ones, I do not work in this field) and if unsuccessful, they ask the public if someone knows this and that face.

I deduce that from every transaction WHEN, TO and HOW MUCH is known. Say, you repeat those transactions and someone finds that usage abnormal, there might be something off, like you transfer 1000€ daily to BTC, for 14 days in a row; in come the camera feeds: You can see if it was the same person for example. From there it's just a leap into checking such databases. Maybe it's someone wanted for laundering? Maybe that person is the case of a lawsuit involving a bank robbery? You never know.

5 minutes ago, Staff said:

This is technically very interesting and raises questions on the fundamental right to privacy. If confirmed, it may be advisable to use ATM with facial masks, glasses and adequate hats, which make facial recognition impossible (currently).

I wouldn't recommend it. Privacy should be about blending in, not standing out as the only one making a BTC transaction wearing a mask that day.

@OpenSourcerer

Oh, OK, so it is impossible to identify someone in practice in the ATM described by @Mad_Max. We had the impression that you wanted to imply otherwise.

About masks and other protections which make facial recognition fail, they are mandatory (in many countries in the EU you can be severely fined if you don't wear them outdoors and you don't have a medically motivated exemption, or even criminally prosecuted) or strongly recommended nowadays, so it's not a big deal, even if they were necessary.

Kind regards

Depends where you are. There used to be a bitcoin machine in Kuta, Bali that didn't ID you in any way, but had a limit of amount per transaction (you could make repeated transactions). I don't know if that still holds true.