Not connected, Your IP: 100.26.135.252
dwulf69

ANSWERED Unable to obtain elevated privileges (required): Unable to start (Connection reset by peer)

I have the same problem, latest version of eddie gives this notification but earlier eddie's worked out of the box. But what i see now is that it still gives me a vpn connection...but without starting the eddiegui/client?

On 2/2/2021 at 7:58 AM, OpenSourcerer said:

Firewall running?

If the problem is a firewall running, what rule would need to be added to the Ubuntu firewall to allow elevated privileges?

4 hours ago, cfinley said:

If the problem is a firewall running, what rule would need to be added to the Ubuntu firewall to allow elevated privileges?

Disabling it would show if it's really a firewall. :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

3 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Disabling it would show if it's really a firewall. :)

The firewall is disabled and still “Unable to obtain elevated privileges”, so we can safely assume it's not the firewall.

Posted ... (edited)

v2.18.9 was working fine. But I wanted to try the latest stable build, v2.19.7, and now I’m getting a whole bunch of

Unable to obtain elevated privileges (required): Unable to start (unable to initialize service)

messages no matter what I try.

579391072_Eddiev2_19.7-Unabletoobtainelevatedprivileges.png.7efe61db52ce5ae12c46f180bedb4c47.png

Reboot didn’t help, I had to revert to an earlier version. I had 2.19.4 beta stored in a hard drive so I used that just because it’s newer.
Any ideas?

Edit:
I should probably mention that I’m only experiencing this problem on Windows 10, Eddie v2.19.7 runs smoothly on an Arch-based distro I’m also using. Edited ... by ccp4vpn

4 hours ago, ccp4vpn said:

Any ideas?

As you can probably see, the error message is different. Ergo, open your own thread or simply search before you post. If you'd done the latter, you would probably find a post like this:

I see the same issue on a raspberrypi:

pi@raspi:~ $ uname -srm
Linux 5.10.17-v7l+ armv7l

pi@raspi:~ $ sudo eddie-cli
. 2021.07.31 10:09:25 - Eddie version: 2.20.0 / linux_armv7l, System: Linux, Name: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 \n \l, Version: Linux raspi 5.10.17-v7l+ #1421 SMP Thu May 27 14:00:13 BST 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux, Mono/.Net: 5.18.0.240 (Debian 5.18.0.240+dfsg-3 Sat Apr 20 05:16:08 UTC 2019); Framework: v4.0.30319
. 2021.07.31 10:09:25 - Command line arguments (2): path.resources="/usr/share/eddie-cli" path.exec="/usr/bin/eddie-cli"
. 2021.07.31 10:09:25 - Raise system privileges
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
terminate called recursively
F 2021.07.31 10:09:29 - Unable to obtain elevated privileges (required): Unable to start (Connection reset by peer)
. 2021.07.31 10:09:29 - Shutdown in progress
. 2021.07.31 10:09:29 - Shutdown complete

23 hours ago, regulator said:

I see the same issue on a raspberrypi:

pi@raspi:~ $ uname -srm
Linux 5.10.17-v7l+ armv7l

. 2021.07.31 10:09:25 - Eddie version: 2.20.0 / linux_armv7l, System: Linux, Name: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 \n \l, Version: Linux raspi 5.10.17-v7l+ #1421 SMP Thu May 27 14:00:13 BST 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux, Mono/.Net: 5.18.0.240 (Debian 5.18.0.240+dfsg-3 Sat Apr 20 05:16:08 UTC 2019); Framework: v4.0.30319
. 2021.07.31 10:09:25 - Command line arguments (2): path.resources="/usr/share/eddie-cli" path.exec="/usr/bin/eddie-cli"
. 2021.07.31 10:09:25 - Raise system privileges
F 2021.07.31 10:09:29 - Unable to obtain elevated privileges (required): Unable to start (Connection reset by peer)
. 2021.07.31 10:09:29 - Shutdown in progress
. 2021.07.31 10:09:29 - Shutdown complete
disabling firewall didn't help as it wasn't active in the first place:
pi@raspi:~ $ sudo service iptables stop
Failed to stop iptables.service: Unit iptables.service not loaded.
. 2021.08.01 09:56:37 - Eddie version: 2.20.0 / linux_armv7l, System: Linux, Name: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 \n \l, Version: Linux raspi 5.10.17-v7l+ #1421 SMP Thu May 27 14:00:13 BST 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux, Mono/.Net: 5.18.0.240 (Debian 5.18.0.240+dfsg-3 Sat Apr 20 05:16:08 UTC 2019); Framework: v4.0.30319
. 2021.08.01 09:56:37 - Command line arguments (2): path.resources="/usr/share/eddie-cli" path.exec="/usr/bin/eddie-cli"
. 2021.08.01 09:56:37 - Raise system privileges
F 2021.08.01 09:56:38 - Unable to obtain elevated privileges (required): Unable to start (Connection reset by peer)
. 2021.08.01 09:56:38 - Shutdown in progress
. 2021.08.01 09:56:38 - Shutdown complete

I have a similar problems with Eddie since a long time and it's not been fixed byt the last 2-3 updates. Basically Eddie cannot tart with OS since it can't raise privilege to start as a deamon. I'm running windows 10 and this problem has occurred on at least two different computers. I've tried starting Eddie manually with administrator rights but it doesn't change a thing. The only way to fix this, is to restart Windows. Then, the client will start as it should. So that means i have to boot my computer, wait for Eddie to fail starting, thn restart computer and voila...

I've been looking for solutions without ever finding one...

eddie.png

1 hour ago, oeildenuit said:

I've been looking for solutions without ever finding one...

No solutions but plenty of workarounds. I hope you practiced the noble art of search-fu regardless.

Like i said i found at least one workaround but this isn't a solution. Seeing that Airvpn is a company selling me a service,  I believe I can expect some support so the software it distributes.

4 hours ago, oeildenuit said:

Seeing that Airvpn is a company selling me a service,  I believe I can expect some support so the software it distributes.

You can, but not on the forums where mostly your fellow users reply. If you need professional support, please create tickets. Thanks.

9 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

You can, but not on the forums where mostly your fellow users reply. If you need professional support, please create tickets. Thanks.

Good point, I haven't been following enough the forum to know that. I'll create a ticket, thanks for your help 🙂

I am not very knowledgeable but the last time i posted here, it was because of a similar issue. My VPN wouldn't start. Turns out that you have to shut off the computer but first exit the VPN. If you do not, next boot it doesn't start. I mean, it starts with windows but doesn't fully load the app and you have to restart. Then it works ok.

I remember trying to kill Eddie, and upon trying to restart it that error message came up. But it would work fine if i did said things above.

this worked for me, go to airvpn folder location, right click eddie-service-elevated, click properties then click the security tab and then click the edit button, then change to allow full control under the permissions. 

image.thumb.png.2dc586a394ef4ad1b36dbae1c1bacbc9.png

image.png

Posted ... (edited)

For weeks now, I have (in vain) tried all the above suggestions and thus spent quite some time, trying to fix this problem. Meanwhile doing the work the AirVPN staff should be doing, by properly testing their software or quickly releasing a new version when a grave error like this occurs. I unfortunately see no other option than switching to another provider if this problem isn't taken care of soon.

Untitled-2.jpg

Edited ... by konijntjes
errors

4 hours ago, konijntjes said:

For weeks now, I have (in vain) tried all the above suggestions and thus spent quite some time, trying to fix this problem. Meanwhile doing the work the AirVPN staff should be doing, by properly testing their software or quickly releasing a new version when a grave error like this occurs. I unfortunately see no other option than switching to another provider if this problem isn't taken care of soon.

Hello,

you didn't open any ticket about this problem, so.... please open a ticket, as the support team is here to assist, just use the customer service!

Kind regards

16 hours ago, Staff said:

Hello,

you didn't open any ticket about this problem, so.... please open a ticket, as the support team is here to assist, just use the customer service!

Kind regards

The support team let me test the experimental version v2.22.2. This worked a few times, after which it  started producing errors again and hanging again on the "Connect with daemon for system privileges" or "Unable to obtain elevated privileges" window.

Basically v2.22.2 works after a Windows reboot, it doesn't after a shut down.

I would strongly recommend the AirVPN staff to come up with a working solution, because I, as a paying customer, have spent quite some time on this already.

@konijntjes

Hello!

Thank you for having contacted the support team.

We have reviewed your ticket and we re-publish the relevant part here just in case some other user has experienced the same Windows malfunction and for general knowledge which might be relevant to this thread. It seems that the problem is related to Windows (and specifically to ipconfig.exe utility) and not to Eddie. If anyone has relevant information about this, please feel free to write here, as we have never seen something like this on any of our Windows testing systems.

---- TICKET REPLY BY CUSTOMER SUPPORT ---

ipconfig.exe - Application Error
The application was unable to start correctly (0x0000142). Click OK to close application.

When I start Windows after a shut down it doesn't work, when I restart Windows it does.

The quoted error is a system error. ipconfig.exe is a system application. You have an anomaly of a system application used by Eddie and by OpenVPN, but only at the first boot. This might be a Windows bug related to "fast startup". Can you please check whether fast boot is enabled or disabled? If it's enabled, please disable it and test again. See also here:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

What's more, if you run third-party antimalware or packet filtering tool, try to disable them as well and test again. It's possible that such tools prevent the system utility (ipconfig) to start under some peculiar situation. We can't reproduce this problem at the moment and we have no other reports related to ipconfig unable to start, but now everything suggests that the problem is related to Windows and networking, or some antimalware tool interfering with network configuration, and not to Eddie itself.

We're looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

AirVPN Support Team

--- CUT ---

Kind regards

Hello!

For the readers: the problem affecting @konijntjes has been resolved by disabling Windows "Fast startup" option. We are still investigating to understand more closely the source of the issue. Thanks to @konijntjes precious reports flowed in during the last hours, it might be something related to network interface handling before and after a system suspension or hibernation, but it's premature to say anything more detailed. In the meantime, anybody suffering similar problems may try to disable "Fast startup" to resolve the issue, which is anyway an option infamously known to pose a lot of different problems even on latest Windows versions and even to system commands.

Kind regards

On 5/3/2023 at 8:05 AM, Staff said:

Hello!

For the readers: the problem affecting @konijntjes has been resolved by disabling Windows "Fast startup" option. We are still investigating to understand more closely the source of the issue. Thanks to @konijntjes precious reports flowed in during the last hours, it might be something related to network interface handling before and after a system suspension or hibernation, but it's premature to say anything more detailed. In the meantime, anybody suffering similar problems may try to disable "Fast startup" to resolve the issue, which is anyway an option infamously known to pose a lot of different problems even on latest Windows versions and even to system commands.

Kind regards
After performing dstancato's above-mentioned fix, (changing security properties in the AirVPN security tab permissions) which didn't work, I did this step, (disabling Fast Startup) which also did not work.

Should I undo the first one? Am I supposed to restart the computer after trying each method before trying another method?

Keep in mind I have to do everything by voice due to a physical disability; I have to rely on others or restarts which aren't always readily available.   

On 5/3/2023 at 1:05 PM, Staff said:

Hello!

Kind regards

That worked for me, thanks. To me the problem started appearing right after or at the same time of a random Firefox crash.