Not connected, Your IP: 44.197.191.240

I urge everyone who can to change or add an open WiFi SSID (2.4GHz preferably for longer range) called openwireless.org.
It seems everywhere I go there are so many WiFi networks but none of them are open except for the occasional ISP advertised one that requires a login. I disabled mine. Hey, if I'm advertising them then I want some kickbacks for people connecting to that network and maybe since they're probably tracking or able to track MAC addresses then if someone opens an account after using my network then I should get a tiny bit of referral money, no? lol. I'll keep dreaming.

Here's a copy+paste from the site.

What is the Open Wireless Movement?

Imagine a future with ubiquitous open Internet.

We envision a world where, in any urban environment:

• Dozens of open networks are available at your fingertips.
  • Tablets, watches, and other new devices can automatically join these networks to do nifty things.
  • The societal expectation is one of sharing, and, as a result, wireless Internet is more efficient.
  • The false notion that an IP address could be used as a sole identifier is finally a thing of the past, creating a privacy-enhancing norm of shared networks.

Has anyone else done this? Will you? Why or why not?

Also, you could bridge another router to handle this. Maybe even set it up so that everyone's using Tor and/or a VPN this way your ISP doesn't bug you if someone does something they don't like. You could also set bandwidth throttling etc. Using Open-WRT, Tomato, pfSense, etc is for another thread but would be interesting to discuss.

openwirelessorg badge.png

Specifically for Germany because it's much wider adopted here: https://freifunk.net, but the principle is very much the same.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.