Not connected, Your IP: 54.196.27.171
cfinley

Eddie Version for Ubuntu ARM64 Raspberry Pi

I am running Ubuntu 20.10 Desktop for ARM64 Raspberry Pi 400. Is there a version of Eddie (I prefer to have GUI) that works in this environment? CF

I thought that was for Raspberry Pi OS (Raspian) and I’m running Ubuntu, so I did not try it.

As far as I see it, it's armv7l, so it can be used on all processors with this architecture, regardless of OS. I think it would even work on Wine for Android. :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

No luck.

sudo apt-get install eddie-ui
E: Unable to locate package eddie-ui.

Also tried downloading the deb package and installing it that way but got:
Unable to install eddie-ui:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:

Not sure what to try next.

Am I missing something, or is there no way to run Eddie on Ubuntu 20.10 Desktop for ARM64 Raspberry Pi 400?

On 1/8/2021 at 1:39 AM, cfinley said:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

# dpkg -i eddie-ui.deb && apt-get --fix-broken install

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Alright, I used the new “eddie-ui_2.19.7_linux_aarch64_debian” deb file, and the good news is - it seemed to install without an issue.
The bad news is that when I fired it up and entered my system password for “Authentication to run elevated commands of Eddie”, I got the error message: “Unable to obtain elevated privileges (required): Unable to start (timeout)”.
Any ideas?

@cfinley -- eddie-cli is run as a normal user and when prompted just provide that user's password as you would for a sudo command.

I have the 32bit arm version installed from the gz file not using apt and it is running great.  Are you running a RPi 4?  How do you like it?  I am holding out for a RPi with a usb3 port.

As I described elsewhere, I even managed to get it up in an allways-on configuration that is so rock-solid, I can't figure out how to stop it without editing my rc.local file an rebooting :-). 

I put a howto of sorts under the thread about the new eddie-cli interactive script (my bad re: placement).

Thanks @airvpnclient but I’m trying to run Eddie GUI, not CLI, and it won’t run without authentication to run elevated commands, which it is unable to obtain. If you have a way to fix that, I’d be happy to hear it.
I have the Pi 400, which I’m very happy with. The only issue is getting AirVPN to work.
By the way, it has two USB 3.0 ports.

I have no gui on my rpi and only access via ssh.  Do you have a desktop?

The only clue I have about getting around the elevated permissions issue is kludgy and a security No-No involving giving your user account extraordinary passwordless sudo permission for all commands.  I think only one command is likely the issue (openvpn maybe), but I can't tell because I don't know what command eddie is trying to run with escalated privileges, but guessing it might be openvpn (so you try a more limited passwordless sudo just for that command.

See: https://linuxhandbook.com/sudo-without-password/

Good Luck!

Also, yes -- I was confusing the RPi 4 with the OSMC Vero4K that doesn't have usb3.  Still waiting for Kodi4K release for ARM64 that would make an upgrade to the RPi 4 worthwhile for me.