Not connected, Your IP: 44.197.238.222

Posted ... (edited)

I discovered a simple quirk of setting up eMule (P2P) on Windows 10 that causes port forwarding to fail with AirVPN. This tip that may save others a lot of time.

During setup eMule creates an inbound rule in Windows firewall that applies to private networks in scope. This makes sense if using eMule without a VPN. However, Windows treats the AirVPN as a public network. Consequently port forwarding with eMule and AirVPN will not work using the default inbound rule created during eMule setup.  

The solution is to edit the scope of the eMule inbound rule in Windows firewall to apply to both private and public profiles. The latter is the important one. This is simple to do: In Windows Firewall, right click on the inbound rule for eMule, select Properties, Advanced. Under Profiles check both Private and Public.

I am not a security expert so feel free to chime in if this setting raises any concerns. This may also apply to earlier versions of Windows.

Edited ... by snelephant

On 1/1/2021 at 7:59 AM, snelephant said:

I discovered a simple quirk of setting up eMule (P2P) on Windows 10 that causes port forwarding to fail with AirVPN. This tip that may save others a lot of time.

During setup eMule creates an inbound rule in Windows firewall that applies to private networks in scope. This makes sense if using eMule without a VPN. However, Windows treats the AirVPN as a public network. Consequently port forwarding with eMule and AirVPN will not work using the default inbound rule created during eMule setup.  

The solution is to edit the scope of the eMule inbound rule in Windows firewall to apply to both private and public profiles. The latter is the important one. This is simple to do: In Windows Firewall, right click on the inbound rule for eMule, select Properties, Advanced. Under Profiles check both Private and Public.

I am not a security expert so feel free to chime in if this setting raises any concerns. This may also apply to earlier versions of Windows.

You saved my day.
I lost one hour trying everything i could find to make it work and then i found your post, a big thank to you, it solved my low id troubles :)