Not connected, Your IP: 18.188.61.223
iwih2gk

Eddie "freezing/stuck" on Debian Buster machines

I am using two machines running Buster (completely updated) and Eddie 2.19.6 (latest beta).  For reference a ThinkPad laptop and ThinkCentre desktop.  Been running smoothly for years on Debian.  For the last couple of weeks Eddie has been freezing/locking up.  The connection stays fully intact and if I view the nft ruleset that Eddie installs its all perfect during connection.  I am unable to switch servers and in fact when it freezes I cannot even Exit/close Eddie at all.

If I manually shut down Debian and then reboot I am able to use Eddie again to connect to any server I want to select, but once I am connected for a few minutes the client is "frozen/stuck" in place.

I have been patiently waiting to see others chime in here with the same problem.  I saw a post awhile ago but again if this is NOT prevalent enough to generate a thread from others I must be tending to be the "lone ranger".  Hmmmmmmmmmm.  I was going to grab logs but with the client frozen I can't see them except for when I immediately first connect.  Any other members here experiencing this?

I may delete Eddie beta and try stable to see if that solves my issues.

Which desktop environment are you on? And version?

If you launch Eddie from terminal, log output will be posted to STDOUT, too, easy for you to copy-paste it. You could try that and see what causes it to zombify. Maybe a Mono error will reveal itself. :)

15 hours ago, iwih2gk said:

I may delete Eddie beta and try stable to see if that solves my issues.

Good, that's the next step you can do if the above didn't work. Maybe rename the default.profile before that (you are downgrading, after all, and 2.18.9 could not be able to read a 2.19.6 profile).

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I completely removed Eddie from this computer and rebooted Debian a few times.  Next I installed 2.19.2 and then updated to 2.19.6 via apt get.  So far, its been about 45 minutes and we are going strong!  I'll come back here if this doesn't get it done!  Thanks for the suggestions.

I also tried the stable version BUT it wouldn't boot because I have switched over to NFT and Eddie's lock won't go with stable and NFT.  I don't plan on ever going back to iptables, too old school.

ps I did not remove the config/xml files at all.

23 minutes ago, iwih2gk said:

I also tried the stable version BUT it wouldn't boot because I have switched over to NFT and Eddie's lock won't go with stable and NFT.  I don't plan on ever going back to iptables, too old school.

Check if the package nftables is installed.
And that is a noble thing, but Debian is already by default using nf_tables through iptables-nft (iptables points to iptables-nft, can be seen with sudo update-alternatives --display iptables if iptables package is installed). By removing iptables completely you removed the helper tools to use nf_tables with iptables syntax as well.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.