Not connected, Your IP: 3.81.57.77
Hiroo Onoda

[Android 11] Eddie not starting at (re)boot

This issue is also present on Android 10.

The Android app does not reconnect to the latest profile after boot or reboot, even though the respective option is enabled in settings. I have to manually open the app and connect.

Log is attached. Any advice is highly appreciated.

bluetooth_content_share.html

Eh, sorry, your log is pretty much unreadable. How did you export that?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Now this looks much better :)

Can you try this again but with disabled WLAN?

27 Nov 2020 22:56:55 UTC [Debug] VPNService.networkStatusChanged() action: 'SYSTEM_PAUSE'
27 Nov 2020 22:57:00 UTC [Debug] EddieBroadcastReceiver.onReceive(): Received 'ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED'
27 Nov 2020 22:57:00 UTC [Debug] EddieBroadcastReceiver.onReceive(): Trying to launch BootVPNActivity
27 Nov 2020 22:57:06 UTC [Info] Network type has changed to MOBILE internet.v6.telekom (LTE)
27 Nov 2020 22:57:06 UTC [Debug] VPNService.networkStatusChanged() action: 'NETWORK_TYPE_CHANGED'
27 Nov 2020 22:57:06 UTC [Info] Network is connected to MOBILE internet.v6.telekom (LTE)
27 Nov 2020 22:57:06 UTC [Debug] VPNService.networkStatusChanged() action: 'SYSTEM_RESUME'
27 Nov 2020 22:57:10 UTC [Info] Network type has changed to WIFI
27 Nov 2020 22:57:10 UTC [Debug] VPNService.networkStatusChanged() action: 'NETWORK_TYPE_CHANGED'
27 Nov 2020 22:57:10 UTC [Info] Network is connected to WIFI
27 Nov 2020 22:57:10 UTC [Debug] VPNService.networkStatusChanged() action: 'SYSTEM_RESUME'
27 Nov 2020 22:57:11 UTC [Info] Requesting user IP and country to AirVPN ipleak.net via secure connection

This whole part indicates that Eddie tries to connect before a (stable) network connection is there, and even shifts to WLAN in the middle of that process. Maybe that's what makes it fail.

Didn't work, I just tried. Please see the attached log. Also please note that this time around, I hadn't entered my user details into the client (had reinstalled the app just before).

log.txt

Posted ... (edited)

Hm. It resolved ipleak.net just fine this time, did you notice? But if it still doesn't connect on boot, clearly the problem is somewhere else.
I'm going to try the connect at boot feature myself now. I've got two Android 10/LOS 17.1 devices myself which are rooted, too; maybe I can reproduce what you're experiencing. Stay tuned.

.. if only I could bring Eddie to actually start at boot. Doesn't work for me. Is there something you explicity did to make that work?

Edited ... by OpenSourcerer

Eddie by itself neither starts nor autoconnects at boot for me. I created a task with Tasker to launch Eddie at startup, which saves me the trouble of opening the app myself, but I still need to connect manually.

Thanks for giving it a try, I think I will open a support ticket.

Posted ... (edited)
9 hours ago, Hiroo Onoda said:

I created a task with Tasker to launch Eddie at startup, which saves me the trouble of opening the app myself, but I still need to connect manually.

Really? Quite interesting. Because I'm seeing Eddie catching the BOOT_COMPLETED broadcast from Android in your log and consequently starting the connection. In my tests this line and the whole connection attempt doesn't even exist. The option to reconnect to the last active profile after boot is ticked by default. Maybe Tasker does this registration itself, which would mean that Eddie doesn't register it itself and this could indicate a bug.
I happen to have another device here with stock Android 5. I will see if it works there.

… okay, I can't test it because MinSDK is 22 (Android 5.1) and I've got 21 (5.0.1) there. Soooo, I can't test more than that for the moment. Edited ... by OpenSourcerer

Hello!

Just in case: if the proper option is enabled, Eddie will start and connect at (re)boot only if it was running and was connected exclusively through a profile (and not with any other method) when the device was shut down previously. Also, some Android devices (for example all the Asus ones we know) include a boot application manager which by default will not authorize any app (apart from those by the manufacturer) to start at boot. Such boot managers must be configured additionally, for Android app clearance to start at boot is not sufficient.

Kind regards

On 11/29/2020 at 10:48 AM, OpenSourcerer said:

Really? Quite interesting. Because I'm seeing Eddie catching the BOOT_COMPLETED broadcast from Android in your log and consequently starting the connection. In my tests this line and the whole connection attempt doesn't even exist. The option to reconnect to the last active profile after boot is ticked by default. Maybe Tasker does this registration itself, which would mean that Eddie doesn't register it itself and this could indicate a bug.
I happen to have another device here with stock Android 5. I will see if it works there.

… okay, I can't test it because MinSDK is 22 (Android 5.1) and I've got 21 (5.0.1) there. Soooo, I can't test more than that for the moment.

The problem of Eddie not connecting has nothing to do with Tasker, since I created the Tasker task after noticing the Eddie problem. Anyway, thanks for testing, much appreciated.

On 11/29/2020 at 11:06 AM, Staff said:

Hello!

Just in case: if the proper option is enabled, Eddie will start and connect at (re)boot only if it was running and was connected exclusively through a profile (and not with any other method) when the device was shut down previously. Also, some Android devices (for example all the Asus ones we know) include a boot application manager which by default will not authorize any app (apart from those by the manufacturer) to start at boot. Such boot managers must be configured additionally, for Android app clearance to start at boot is not sufficient.

Kind regards

Hi Staff,

I always run Eddie exclusively with a profile generated on this very site. At shutdown, Eddie is connected via said profile. I just got a Pixel 5, which doesn't have a boot app manager AFAIK. Previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy S10e, and the problem occurred there, too. I also just disabled my Firewall (AFWall+), including its 'Startup leak prevention' script, to see if that somehow interferes, but no, Eddie just won't connect (nor launch).

log.txt

Hello!

Android 10 and 11 change slightly the apps permission scheme. Now you need to explicitly authorize, from Android settings, an app to start at boot. It's no more sufficient that an app registers itself to start. Additionally, an explicit authorization to read the storage must be given, to allow Eddie to read profiles, nothing else.

Can you please check?

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Dear AirVPN Support,

thanks for your message. I'm a bit confused. There is no way to set an app to autostart from within Android 10/11 settings, including Developer Options. An extensive Google search does not reveal anything either, except from dedicated (third party) boot manager apps. I'm sure you don't mean those. If you (or anyone else) were able to point me to the correct setting, this would be very much appreciated.

@Hiroo Onoda

Hello!

Please discard our previous message. There is no such permission on stock Android 10 versions The wrong answer was based on a customized Android version we use. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Currently Eddie can not boot automatically in Android 10 and 11 unless you start it with third party boot managers etc. The issue will be addressed in the next Eddie release, stay tuned.

Kind regards

@ Staff
Is that still the case?
Because i expected that it will auto login on startup but it doesn't
Is that how it is supposed to be?
I use android 10

Hello!

4 hours ago, lichtknight said:

@ Staff
Is that still the case?
Because i expected that it will auto login on startup but it doesn't
Is that how it is supposed to be?
I use android 10

Hello!

Eddie 2.5 Android edition can start and connect during the device bootstrap even in Android 10, 11 and 12. "Always on VPN" Android settings must be enabled (therefore you can't connect at boot on Android TV) 10,. 11 and 12) and Eddie's option "Settings" > "System" > "Start VPN connection at device boot" must be on. Once it's on, you can define the "VPN Boot Priority Order", again in "Settings" > "System".

Kind regards

14 hours ago, lichtknight said:

I tested it today again and it doesn't work with me .
What should i do?

Hello!

When you have time you should open a ticket including Eddie log and Android logcat if possible. The log will show to the support team all the relevant system data but anyway please specify your device brand and model, and your Android exact version. The logcat will show much more information which might be needed by the developers.

Kind regards