Not connected, Your IP: 34.204.177.148
Jason1997

Arch Linux missing elevated privileges

Hello,
I've been using Air VPN for quite some time now, on Linux Operating systems, in particular Debian and Arch distributions. This hasn't been a problem, but since a couple of months I am unable to launch the eddie-ui executable. I am using the Arch Community repository's package eddie-ui  and haven't had any problems with it till now. I purged it from my computer multiple times over the last few months. I also just attempted to start eddie-ui on a different device on which I know that eddie-ui used to work, and it won't launch any longer. When I launch eddie-ui over the console under root and/or with gksu, I get the following output from eddie-ui:

. 2020.11.26 00:00:00 - Eddie version: 2.18.9 / linux_x64, System: Linux, Name: Arch Linux, Version: 5.9.8-arch1-1, x86_64 GNU/Linux,
Mono/.Net: 6.10.0 (makepkg/5d03a6fe116 Wed 15 Jul 2020 03:00:00 PM -00); Framework: v4.0.30319
. 2020.11.26 00:00:00 - Command line arguments (2): path.resources="/usr/share/eddie-ui" path.exec="/usr/bin/eddie-ui"
. 2020.11.26 00:00:00 - Raise system privileges
The value for the SHELL variable was not found the /etc/shells file

This incident has been reported.
F 2020.11.26 00:00:00 - Unable to obtain elevated privileges (required): Unable to start (2)
. 2020.11.26 00:00:00 - Shutdown in progress
. 2020.11.26 00:00:00 - Shutdown complete

I also tried »sudo gksu -u my_user_name eddie-ui«, and »sudo eddie-ui« and »su; eddie-ui«, and I get the same output...

I've installed stunnel with »pacman -S stunnel«, which didn't help, neither do I know which stunnel isn't a dependency of eddie-ui in the Arch repositories, if it is at all necessary.
I was thinking of doing a clean install of arch with a single root user (hence no sudo users), but I don't think that will solve the problem. I have the hunch that eddie-ui is accessing a service which is running non-root privileges or that reddie-ui is having a problem with keyrings or something...

pls help, thanks

Did you change shells recently? What are the contents of /etc/shells? What is the output of cat $SHELL?

10 hours ago, Jason1997 said:

I've installed stunnel with »pacman -S stunnel«, which didn't help, neither do I know which stunnel isn't a dependency of eddie-ui in the Arch repositories, if it is at all necessary.

It's optional. See PKGBUILD:

[…]
optdepends=('stunnel: VPN over SSL' 'openssh: VPN over SSH')
[…]

10 hours ago, Jason1997 said:

I was thinking of doing a clean install of arch with a single root user (hence no sudo users), but I don't think that will solve the problem. I have the hunch that eddie-ui is accessing a service which is running non-root privileges or that reddie-ui is having a problem with keyrings or something...

I don't think your hunch is correct. The error message clearly states that the contents of $SHELL are not listed in the permitted login shells config found in /etc/shells. This can happen if you change the default login shell or remove a previously used one, or something like that, without editing /etc/shells. There's actually a manual for all this, see man shells.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.