Not connected, Your IP: 3.142.200.226

46 minutes ago, UnBurrito said:

Impressive speeds from AirVPN 🔥

OpenVPN or Wireguard?
Latency to this server from your position?
Your ISP, if you're confortable sharing it, subscribed throughput and what kind of access technology (Fiber, Cable)?

I'm asking because I'll have a Gbit line by the end of the year, and the right way to achieve this is inconclusive, taking threads of the past into account.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

9 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

OpenVPN or Wireguard?
Your ISP, if you're confortable sharing it, subscribed throughput and what kind of access technology (Fiber, Cable)?

I'm asking because I'll have a Gbit line by the end of the year, and the right way to achieve this is inconclusive, taking threads of the past into account.

gigabit fiber with latency to server at around 7ms, low server use, ISP and other transit cooperates, I can achieve 800+ Mbit/s with wireguard on pfsense.  I've seen openvpn manage about 600mbit/s but it's much more rare in my experience. 

Meaning no offense, but I wasn't asking you. You posted your record earlier, with all of this info. ;)

On 4/14/2022 at 8:45 AM, OpenSourcerer said:

OpenVPN or Wireguard?

Wireguard. Virgin Media (UK). 1Gbit line and Fiber. Latency shows around 20ms 

Posted ... (edited)
8 hours ago, benfitita said:

What hardware are you using? Who's your ISP and your type of connection? I guess Wireguard?

In terms of client hardware, I got those speeds using my Windows desktop setup. The desktop has an i5 12400 processor, 16GB RAM, multiple m.2 drives/HDDs, and a 10G NIC. I'm also using Wireguard. What's funny is that when I used Mullvad previously, I achieved gigabit upload speeds with an old laptop with Linux that only had an i5-43100U and a decent SATA SSD.

As for my network setup, everything is on a 10G connection – my ONT, router/firewall, and switch. I've set up a DIY Opnsense firewall/router with a 10G NIC. However, I'm currently limited to just a bit over gigabit speeds (1250 Download, 1050 Upload) since my ISP's plans go up to symmetrical gigabit speeds. Despite having the capability for symmetrical 10 Gigabit speeds using 10G EPON, they offer plans only up to gigabit speeds.

My internet is residential fiber from Spectrum, which is unusual as they typically provide service via Docsis over coax. Interestingly, I used over half a petabyte of data over a few months with their service and didn't hear anything from them. It's quite funny considering I was expecting some sort of notice for excessive data usage, even though they don't enforce data caps.
  Edited ... by ScanFarer

On 8/6/2023 at 8:02 PM, ScanFarer said:

Lol, I totally didn't expect that I would break a record. To be honest, I anticipated a higher number of users leveraging gigabit speeds over a VPN

If only users had a gigabit line to leverage… *cries in DSL*

Hello, first of all, I noticed that the speed decreases when using VPN protocol Wireguard. I changed the protocol to openvpn, still the same speed got worse. I contacted Airvpn via email. The representative sent an email there. openvpn told me to do tcp 443. I did what you said and measured the speed, it shows 3 megabit speed in speedtest. While watching Hulu platform Amc Channel; The broadcast was freezing and I watched it frozen.

2.jpg

same for me using open vpn protocol...
ridicolous speeds...
download max 100 Mbps and upload max 50 Mbps...
just have a have a 2.5 Gbit in download and 500 in upload !!!
on wireguard just get ramdom disconects so i avoid it using airvpn.

any suggestions settings , about the low speeds on openvpn and disconects with wireguard ?

Make sure you've tried using low MTU settings.  Set MTU too high for your particular ISP network and you'll get horrible speeds, random freezes, or even total lockup.  I'm rusty, but I believe you can go as low as 1280.  The only downside of going "too low" is a small decrease in speed/throughput relative to using your personal optimum MTU.  So start low and work your way up if you really want to optimize.

On 8/9/2023 at 1:48 PM, OpenSourcerer said:

If only users had a gigabit line to leverage… *cries in DSL*

Now that I'm seeing this thread again… I was able to reach around 120 MB/s download using Wireguard, but I'm faced with a very different challenge now: Finding content with a size big enough to reach those average speed readings for the status page, and stable enough to get this throughput over a longer period of time.
BitTorrent is the best option so far, and I was experimenting with tens of Linux torrents for that matter, but they're done so quickly, it's impossible show up with those MB/s. I managed to appear with around 750 by a download-delete-check-redownload routine, but that's not giving me continuous readings. -.-
What a problem to have…

3 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Now that I'm seeing this thread again… I was able to reach around 120 MB/s download using Wireguard, but I'm faced with a very different challenge now: Finding content with a size big enough to reach those average speed readings for the status page, and stable enough to get this throughput over a longer period of time.
BitTorrent is the best option so far, and I was experimenting with tens of Linux torrents for that matter, but they're done so quickly, it's impossible show up with those MB/s. I managed to appear with around 750 by a download-delete-check-redownload routine, but that's not giving me continuous readings. -.-
What a problem to have…

one trick I learned when testing max speed with torrents is to start the torrent throttling download speed to something very low, give it time to gather up a lot of peers, then unlimit the download speed.

36 minutes ago, go558a83nk said:

one trick I learned when testing max speed with torrents is to start the torrent throttling download speed to something very low, give it time to gather up a lot of peers, then unlimit the download speed.

Not sure if it was my wording, but that is not the problem. The problem is: Torrents ramp up to max after 10-20 seconds – and then end way too quickly.

Hello @Staff can you please tell me how the speed is calculated and what is the delay between each update. Im currently breaking the record but my downloads are always finished when it update.