Not connected, Your IP: 54.87.17.177
JVincent

ANSWERED Windows 10 doesn't separate local and VPN connection anymore

I used to use a firewall rule list that could block all non-VPN traffic in and out of my torrent client by applying the rule to private networks. At some point in the last weeks, it stopped working and my head was really spinning around as to why it happened. Today I noticed that I now have only one connection in Network and Sharing Center. There used to be both my local network and the VPN network if VPN was connected, and I could separate the local network to be private and VPN as public. I have not changed any settings related to the network part so I don't know what could have caused this. I tried network reset in Windows, but it re-detected only that one network.

Does anyone have any ideas what to try? Thanks.

Does OpenVPN still connect? Paste or upload OpenVPN logs, please. If you use Eddie, in Logs tab click the lifebelt icon and paste/upload that output instead.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Yes, my VPN connection has been working fine all the time. I've attached the log here.

By searching around for a solution, I've noticed that this Local Area Connection being missing is not rare. Still I have no clue how to restore it as I never removed it in the first place.. it's not even a hidden item in Device Manager.

airvpn.txt

It's there. The curious thing, though, is that there apparently are routes for what appears to be old connections. You could try a reboot to see if that resets the adapter.
If that doesn't work, remove it via device manager, and if it's not there, use the tapctl.exe program in Eddie install directory. Open a command prompt or PowerShell (as admin) and type:

> ./tapctl.exe delete E1BD0300-221A-49CC-990F-06DA85B362C8

If it errors out like "interface not found" or something, try engulfing the ID in {}. Then reboot and let Eddie reinstall a new TAP adapter upon connection.

Cheers, that fixed the issue and returned the two connections to Network and sharing center so I can mark the other one as private to block non-VPN traffic.
To be sure, I deleted all the items from network adapters in Device manager and rebooted.

I had a strange issue with the latest Eddie beta - I wasn't able to replicate it - when disconnecting the VPN, it looked like it still kept the AirVPN DNS setting there so I couldn't connect anywhere. A ipconfig /release + ipconfig /renew fixed it.

1 hour ago, JVincent said:

I had a strange issue with the latest Eddie beta - I wasn't able to replicate it - when disconnecting the VPN, it looked like it still kept the AirVPN DNS setting there so I couldn't connect anywhere. A ipconfig /release + ipconfig /renew fixed it.

Report back if it resurfaces, but it sounds like a one-time thing.

On 10/21/2020 at 6:54 PM, OpenSourcerer said:

Report back if it resurfaces, but it sounds like a one-time thing.

It just happened again. I disconnected from the VPN normally and closed the client. I then tried to open a webpage (which won't work with a VPN) but I didn't have an internet connection. I went to see my adapter settings and AirVPN DNS address was still there. I set DNS address to automatic and my connection started working again.

I don't disconnect very often, maybe once in 1-2 weeks or so, so it's not easy to check how often it happens.

From the log you can see that Eddie has an incorrect original DNS setting there. I wonder if it is because I have to reboot my cable modem nightly and the VPN tunnel disconnects and reconnects. It then forgets the very original DNS?

Eddie_20201125_183016.txt

3 hours ago, JVincent said:

From the log you can see that Eddie has an incorrect original DNS setting there. I wonder if it is because I have to reboot my cable modem nightly and the VPN tunnel disconnects and reconnects. It then forgets the very original DNS?

Did you set OpenDNS as your "DNS trusted provider"? Switch to Quad9 DNS.
Who is your ISP?

Eddie support file (Logs > lifebelt icon)!! The logs alone don't always help. Thank you.
Also, before you do that, probably upgrade to 2.19.6 to see if that makes any difference.

@Flx 10.17.98.1 is the DNS server which is the router, and YLE is the ISP. Two really unrelated questions here.

14 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

10.17.98.1 is the DNS server

That's the one for Gemini server. Last .txt posted file is for Camelopardalis server.
20 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Two really unrelated questions here.

Well then I'll let you help the OP here.