Not connected, Your IP: 52.55.214.236
John2319ax

pfSense OpenVPN Client Cascade

Hello.

This is about an OpenVPN cascade on pfSense.

I would like to see some pfSense users join this thread. If there was enough money for a programmer as an incentive, such a script would be finished faster. You are also welcome to provide ideas what such a script should be able to do.

Greetings

John

I already know the link from https://nguvu.org/pfsense/pfsense-multi-vpn-wan/. pfSense only allows a failover when the client is down or "packet loss or high latency".

The script I asked for in the pfSense forum should automatically restart the chain if, for example, the second server of three fails. This should ensure the order.

I think it would be more complicated if you restart the failed server and restart the route order.

For this purpose a KillSwitch would be helpful, which makes sure that pfSense does not leave anything if for example the second server fails.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Greetings

John

I agree with Stephen use the remote command :
put the servers to reconnect to in the order you want them to reconnect too.

today was literally a perfect example. My isp dropped at least 5 times today

i had ; 
remote us3.vpn.airdns.org 443;
under client / custom options. It reconnected once my isp got its issue fixed.  You could use the static ip instead followed by the port to use 

On 10/11/2020 at 6:52 PM, John2319ax said:

I already know the link from https://nguvu.org/pfsense/pfsense-multi-vpn-wan/. pfSense only allows a failover when the client is down or "packet loss or high latency".

Hello!

Yes, that's the failover, by definition, but the setup in the linked article supports load balancing too. On a second thought, it seems fine even for your failover needs, unless you need to get out on the Internet only with one specific IP address from time to time.

Kind regards