Not connected, Your IP: 3.235.246.51
cdysthe

Any issues using your own preferred DNS servers with AirVPN/Eddie?

Hi,

I'd like to use my preferred DNS servers with AiRVPN in Eddie (on Linux). Are there any security/safety/privacy issues doing so assuming there's none with regards to the set DNS servers themselves? Can I do the same on Android without issues?

Also, can I add IPv6 DNS servers in Preferences > DNS on Android. just by adding them after the IPv4 ones comma separated? Can I use both short and long form on Linux and Android?

3 hours ago, cdysthe said:

Are there any security/safety/privacy issues doing so assuming there's none with regards to the set DNS servers themselves?

DNS is unencrypted. Setting your own DNS servers means it's travelling unencrypted through the internet. This also makes DNS susceptible to DNS poisoning, but that is an unlikely thing to occur in, say, Europe.

Can I do the same on Android without issues?

Yes. Be advised about one thing, though: I've seen some recent devices on Android 10 with DNS-over-HTTPS set to Automatic by default. Not sure when it's used and when not. You might want to disable this instead, it's usually found in the Connections/Wireless/Network submenu in Settings called "Encrypted DNS" and similar.

Also, can I add IPv6 DNS servers in Preferences > DNS on Android. just by adding them after the IPv4 ones comma separated?

Yes, and you could've tested it yourself just like that. :D Note that you don't need to specify both the v4 and v6 address of the same DNS server. The protocol to connect to the server is completely independent from what a DNS server sends back. :)

Can I use both short and long form on Linux and Android?

I'm more interested in how exactly this question came to be in your mind. In 2020 all operating systems fully support IPv6, and this includes all the ways to write a v6 address (as this is part of its RFC). This includes Linux and all its derivatives dating back as far as 2001.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

1 hour ago, giganerd said:
I'm more interested in how exactly this question came to be in your mind. In 2020 all operating systems fully support IPv6, and this includes all the ways to write a v6 address (as this is part of its RFC). This includes Linux and all its derivatives dating back as far as 2001.

Thank you for all your answers. My ignorance is hereby exposed in all it's ugliness. :) Anyway, The reason I asked the last question is that on my router I can only use long form IPv6 so I assumed that could be the case elsewhere also. I did try to enter IPv6 on both Linux and Android and I did not get any errors. However, I do not know whether the IPv6 servers are used. Back to my ignorance again :)

13 minutes ago, cdysthe said:

Anyway, The reason I asked the last question is that on my router I can only use long form IPv6 so I assumed that could be the case elsewhere also.

This must be a limitation in the UI of said router, or rather a measure to simplify the life of either the programmers, the end users or both. Because routers today usually run something based on the Linux kernel, and any capability of the kernel translates more or less directly to those routers. Whatever it is, it's not the norm. :)

18 minutes ago, cdysthe said:

However, I do not know whether the IPv6 servers are used.

If you want to check, enter only v6 servers.
Generally, if you set more than one DNS server, the queries go out to all of them. The quickest reply is the one that gets to be used, and this can be from a v4 or a v6 DNS server. If you enter a v4 server in your local network and a v6 server from, say, OpenNIC, in 90% of cases you will be using whatever the local v4 server returns because it's much quicker.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.