Not connected, Your IP: 44.204.217.37
madrat

ANSWERED Password will not work after changing

3 minutes ago, eburom said:

mmmm, I'm not familiar with that window. It reminds me of androids version where you can lock eddie with a master password.
I find it strange that it doesn't ask for the username and the word unlock instead of log in..

Still trying to locate my "profile" file but can't locate it as of yet, even with a search!

in that case, the name of the file should be default.profile.

from another post I could get some lines (the ones I spected you to read in the console) this example is from a windows install:

SSL: stunnel 5.56 (C:\Program Files\AirVPN\stunnel.exe)
Profile path: C:\Program Files\AirVPN\default.profile
Data path: C:\Program Files\AirVPN

Profile path is the line telling you the file to delete.

Worst case scenario, the file was deleted when you reinstalled eddie ant it is created the first time you run it (what you aren't able to do), so you wouldn't find it.

anyway don't know if this works in mac but in the console:
sudo find / -name default.profile
will find the file in linux.

other than that, try your mac's pass again (user's, root's? don't know if this makes sense on a mac XD)

1 hour ago, eburom said:

in that case, the name of the file should be default.profile.

from another post I could get some lines (the ones I spected you to read in the console) this example is from a windows install:

SSL: stunnel 5.56 (C:\Program Files\AirVPN\stunnel.exe)
Profile path: C:\Program Files\AirVPN\default.profile
Data path: C:\Program Files\AirVPN

Profile path is the line telling you the file to delete.

Worst case scenario, the file was deleted when you reinstalled eddie ant it is created the first time you run it (what you aren't able to do), so you wouldn't find it.

anyway don't know if this works in mac but in the console:

sudo find / -name default.profile
will find the file in linux.

other than that, try your mac's pass again (user's, root's? don't know if this makes sense on a mac XD)

Unfortunately, nothing is working. Just need to get to the opening Eddie screen (showing your name and password) so I can change the password, but I can't get there. On my MacBook Pro, I could get to that screen and change the password and all is well.

mmm, you could try to install the experimental version 2.19.4 under other versions in the download page.
or run eddie with sudo:

sudo eddie-ui

Other than that, I'm running out of ideas.

44 minutes ago, eburom said:

mmm, you could try to install the experimental version 2.19.4 under other versions in the download page.
or run eddie with sudo:

Other than that, I'm running out of ideas.

So I tried that but it didn't work. So I uninstalled and installed 2.16.3 and presto. It works. Got to the log in window, put in name and new password and connected. So now if I install 2.19.4 again, let's see if it works now.

image.png

57 minutes ago, madrat said:
So I tried that but it didn't work. So I uninstalled and installed 2.16.3 and presto. It works. Got to the log in window, put in name and new password and connected. So now if I install 2.19.4 again, let's see if it works now.

image.png

Unfortunately, none of the later versions seem to work With each one I get the "password box", which is always "incorrect". I can't get to the log in window with any version other than 2.16.3

Although I heard back from support, there has been no resolution as of yet. I did send them some further information. Something must have changed after v 2.16.3 (which works) because none of the newer versions would get me to the log in window so I could change my password. I hope support is working on something to change this. I'm thankful v 2.16.3 works, but hope they can figure something out, so I can get back to using the newer version. I'm running El Capitan on my iMac and on my MacBook Pro, I'm running Sierra, and I was able to update my password there no problem to the newest version of Eddie, so it could possibly be a problem specific to El Capitan. I will update if and when I hear from support.

With that said, I'm inclined to think the pass you're asked for is some system privilege elevation thing and not your airvpn accounts.
try running eddie from the console:

sudo eddie-ui
or
sudo su
eddie-ui
or try your user's or root's passwords when asked.

the privilege thing rang a bell and looked in the 2.18 versions changelog, found this:
[change] macOS - Direct invocation with AuthorizationExecuteWithPrivileges for superuser privileges
Don't know if it has anything to do with your problem though.

Looks like the profile data protection password to me, to be honest. In Preferences > General, check the value for Profile data protection and set it to something else if it's Password.

2 hours ago, eburom said:

sudo su

Bit off-topic:
Honestly, where did this combination ever come from? Seeing this crap everywhere. It's a very bad practice, especially for auditing purposes and reconstructing attacks or a bad chain of commands. sudo logs execution of su for the sudoing user here, the rest is in root's history and no one will know who executed which command when auditing the log. Not to mention that sudo already elevates to root, so calling su is superfluous like piping cat output to grep (because grep happily accepts file input itself).
The much safer approach would be to use sudo -s, and I'd like to use this moment to promote more sudo usage here. -s retains the environment of the current user (variables, functions, shell settings, aliases, etc.) but the executing user will be root. This way you don't effectively lever out the security system.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

@giganerd: thanks for the advice, I usually run things with sudo (like in the first advice) but do the other "crap" when I want a root shell. will try to remember your advice but muscle memory might betray me. I usually use devices in which I'm the only user so doesn't get difficult to trace who messed things up anyway XD.

2 hours ago, giganerd said:

Looks like the profile data protection password to me, to be honest. In Preferences > General, check the value for Profile data protection and set it to something else if it's Password.

Is this something similar to what androids app does with the master password? didn't know eddie had this option. I'm afraid the OP isn't able to get to the preferences nor they are able to find the default.profile to reset everything. Do you know if this file is saved in a different way when this data protection thing is enabled?

I now use hummingbird and didn't know about this feature of eddie's but @madrat, I'm almost certain @giganerd is right.

The bad news is that you can not access to your settings to change the option (as your profile is locked).
Do you remember having set such password to protect your profile?

I reproduced your situation and fixed it removing the file default.profile so my suggestion is to get back to finding that file.

16 minutes ago, eburom said:

I usually use devices in which I'm the only user so doesn't get difficult to trace who messed things up anyway XD.

When using the mentioned sudo -i as an example, a sample entry in /var/log/auth.log (or with dmesg -f auth) would look like this:

Aug 21 15:08:57 computername sudo: sudoer : TTY=pts/1 ; PWD=/home/sudoer ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/bash
Aug 21 15:08:57 computername sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by sudoer(uid=0)

So it's not only logged who did it, but also when, where and what, followed by PAM stating if authentication was successful or not. :)

macOS path to the profile is by default /Users/(username)/.eddie/default.profile, for older versions /Users/(username)/.airvpn/default.profile. Note that .airvpn and .eddie are hidden folders. You need to explicitly configure Finder to show them. Should be a simple option somewhere in its settings.

When using the mentioned sudo -i as an example, a sample entry in /var/log/auth.log (or with dmesg -f auth) would look like this:

Aug 21 15:08:57 computername sudo: sudoer : TTY=pts/1 ; PWD=/home/sudoer ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/bash
Aug 21 15:08:57 computername sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by sudoer(uid=0)

So it's not only logged who did it, but also when, where and what, followed by PAM stating if authentication was successful or not. :)

macOS path to the profile is by default /Users/(username)/.eddie/default.profile, for older versions /Users/(username)/.airvpn/default.profile. Note that .airvpn and .eddie are hidden folders. You need to explicitly configure Finder to show them. Should be a simple option somewhere in its settings.

First of all, I apologize for not being that knowledgeable tech wise. I found the file, finally, using a third party app, but unfortunately, it keeps telling me I don't have permission to delete the file. Even in terminal I get this - ["madrat:~ madrat$ rm ~/.airvpn/*
override rw-------  root/staff for /Users/madrat/.airvpn/default.xml? y
rm: /Users/madrat/.airvpn/default.xml: Permission denied
madrat:~ madrat$

I've done several searches to try and find how to override this, so I can delete it, but so far I've come up empty. Any ideas how to change the settings on a mac to allow the user to delete hidden files? Thanks for everyone's help!!

The problem is not that it's hidden, but that the owner is root. Try:

sudo rm -v /Users/madrat/.airvpn/default.xml

3 hours ago, giganerd said:

The problem is not that it's hidden, but that the owner is root. Try:

sudo rm -v /Users/madrat/.airvpn/default.xml

So, between all the suggestions all of you have made and suggestions from AIR support via e-mail, I finally got everything back to normal. Support kept telling me that the password it was asking for was a "master password" that I used when I first installed Eddie (I don't remember any such master password. In any case, after finally deleting default.xml (thanks giganerd) and rebooting and reinstalling, I still had the same problem. However, a new e-mail from support mentioned another file - ~/.airvpn/eddie, that I didn't realize I had to delete as well. So, after deleting both files, unistalling Eddie completely, rebooting and reinstalling Eddie 2.19.4, I finally got everything to work and back to normal. Thanks to all you tech whizzes for all your help. This is an awesome group of support staff and users!! Onward ho! Problem solved!

That is actually a good bit of info for future problems, so thank you for sharing the final solution so we can reference it in threads to come. :)
Enjoy!