Not connected, Your IP: 18.209.230.60
Psamathe

Carinae Running Really Slowly

Connecting to Carinae and speed is disastrous.
If I connect to gb.vpn.airdns.org today I always seem to connect to Carinae and my download is very slow.
Tests: Through Carinae (UDP) download 7.37 Mbps, then 8.7 Mbps then later 8.87 Mbps but stop through AirVPN and just use ISP and same speed test gives 42 Mbps. Connect to nl.vpn.airdns.org (UDP) and same speed test gives 43 Mbps then 44.15 Mbps (NL connection seems to chose Gianfar). So it's Carinae (or UK or that data centre or UK Dedicated Servers).

Noticed this morning as I only check where I'm connected to when problems arise (so today might be the 1st time I've used Carinae for months or might be just today the issues have started).

Can confirm a slight packet loss on Carinae to ipleak.net (2%) and a crushingly low download performance of only 10 Mbit/s. The upload test errored out.
Tried Betelgeuse in the same city/ISP, latency according to Eddie was 20 (Carinae was 50), load 10% (Carinae was 20). 1% loss, download was even 5, upload gave me 0, but no error.
Ironically compared to Westerlund (latency 35, load 15%), which happens to be M247 about which you, erm, bitched in the recent past. No offense there. :D 0% loss, 225 down, 41 up, which is just about my ISP throughput (250/40).

The ping command used to test packet loss was:

$ ping -c100 -i 0,2 -I tun0 ipleak.net

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I was not choosing server - I tend to use the gb.vpn.airdns.org but it seemed to like Carinae this morning (now on the dutch servers as they seemed OK).

No offence re M247 but the issue with M247 was that they are blocked by so increasing numbers of web servers (and I can appreciate why from my own experiences with hack attempts on my own web sites). I'd sort of ignored that as anything here as I thought Carinae was a UK Dedicated Servers (which I maybe incorrectly thought was a separate company from M247).

From your tests it looks like there is something wrong at Carinae.

Also: I posted here as a means to notify airVPN about the issue. I don't know if there are better ways to report infrastructure issues (i.e. not trying to bitch about performance but I believe I can't expect something I've notice to be fixed if I don't make people aware of the issue (i.e. report it). Should I be reporting such issues via some different means?

48 minutes ago, Psamathe said:

Should I be reporting such issues via some different means?

The ideal answer would be "none at all". The AirVPN servers ping each other all the time and automatically report certain issues like high packet loss and line problems, which can be viewed on the issues subpage. I've noticed a threshold of around 30%, by which all connections are already a very long way beyond usable. Heck, I'm getting up to 5% packet loss on German M247 and YouTube starts buffering on 720p. It gets so bad at times, I can't even listen to a 64 kbit/s radio stream without it buffering every few minutes, and that's the lowest quality stream I could find of that particular radio station. Buffering, on 64 kbit/s! Some VoIP codecs like G.722 operate with 64 kbit/s, so in essence I wouldn't be able to phone with someone over such a connection! Ridiculous.

I think, in the context of AirVPN it's easy to say that if you reach 4 Mbit/s down and up, there is no issue, since AirVPN guarantees 4 Mbit/s down and up and we reached that with the numbers presented, even though the connection was unstable as a collapsing stable.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Starting up laptop and again it went to Carinae and useless so speedest and it managed 5.34 Mbps download! Old dial-up modems do better than that! Upload 5.42 - faster upload than download!

2 minutes ago, giganerd said:

Just blacklist it in Eddie. It's the red X button.

Thanks but I'm back on Viscosity (didn't get on with Eddie so stopped using it when same issues persisted with Eddie as Viscosity). I've switched to the NL servers which seem fine. More posting to let the techies know they have an issue rather than a brief glitch.