Not connected, Your IP: 34.229.17.20

Posted ... (edited)

I use qbittorrent and I am not connectable. The port is opened and works. I also have firewall exceptions set up.

Edited ... by v72nico

18 hours ago, v72nico said:

I use qbittorrent and I am not connectable. The port is opened and works. I also have firewall exceptions set up.

How are you determining that you are not connectable? Tests provided in client GUIs are generally useless. How did you determine that the port works?

Download a busy Linux distro (e.g. Ubuntu Desktop) and watch for incoming connections (the "I" flag in most clients). Or watch IP traffic with Processor Explorer (Windows - available from Microsoft) or "clear; ss -autp" (Linux). Are there "established" connections to the listening port?

You mentioned firewall. So you allowed your client to access "public" networks in Windows Firewall? The VPN will be considered "public" by Windows.

I'm using qbittorrent. When I check online the port is stated as opened. I set up exceptions on public networks for qbittorrent. Do I need to set an individual one for the port I forwarded?

I think I'm not connectable because the private trackers I'm in list me as not connectable.

3 hours ago, v72nico said:

Do I need to set an individual one for the port I forwarded?

No. And if you change the port number regularly this would be a pain.

You are using the same port number to listen on in qBittorrent as the number you forwarded at AirVPN, right?

And you have not explicitly bound qBittorent to use the real network interface or something?

3 hours ago, v72nico said:

I think I'm not connectable because the private trackers I'm in list me as not connectable.

Your torrent sites won't be much help for trouble shooting. And I know from experience that some can be unreliable in checking for connectability.

For trouble shooting I would again suggest that you test using a very busy torrent like the Ubuntu Desktop torrent:

https://ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads

And watch the network activity using Process Explorer from Microsoft:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Ok I saw many incoming connections when I tried downloading Ubuntu. Does that mean I'm connectable?

21 hours ago, v72nico said:

Ok I saw many incoming connections when I tried downloading Ubuntu. Does that mean I'm connectable?

Can you take a screenshot of your "incoming connections" and post it here to verify?
Thx

15 hours ago, v72nico said:

Yeah here are my connections.

Capture.PNG

I am sure the "I" flag there means "Incoming":

https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/wiki/Frequently-Asked-Questions#What_do_all_those_flags_in_the_Flags_column_mean

Every client I have used had "I" meaning incoming. You would like to see this without the "P" flag. "P" means μTP , which is a UDP hole punching method, rather than via TCP port connection. And you do have an "I" without "P". I have rarely seen "P". You'd probably only ever see it on busy Linux distro ("public") torrents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_Transport_Protocol

"μTP also adds support for NAT traversal using UDP hole punching between two port-restricted peers where a third unrestricted peer acts as a STUN server."

But to be sure you could also use Process Explorer. It will often show connections coming in to your listening port even when there are no "I" flags. Torrent clients will check for available peers even if they don't ask them all for a piece of a torrent.

By the way, I think AirVPN's connectivity check is reliable. Try that. You could check with your client down and up to convince yourself it works.

EDIT: Actually you could probably get by just using the netstat command in a command window:

cls & netstat -ano

Keep repeating it and watch for "established" connections to your VPN IP address and listening port.

Ok I checked process explorer for qbittorrent and I saw many connections over tcp, so I think its working.