Not connected, Your IP: 44.199.225.221
Condobloke

Not Connected...drops out ..no warning

Linux Mint 18.3
Connected ...orion.....downloaded 1 torrent.......only 7 minutes duration approx
I then proceeded to open firefox browser
There was no movement on eddie....(firefox opens 5 web pages)
Looked closely and it is frozen
The tray icon is grey
see screnshot attached

Screenshot_2020-08-04_20-32-03.png

When restarted this morning all appeared normal...however this has happened many times in the past couple of weeks.....so I am not trusting it at the moment.

What's your version of mono? Can you post the output of:

$ mono --version

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

brian@brian-desktop ~ $ mono --version
Mono JIT compiler version 4.2.1 (Debian 4.2.1.102+dfsg2-7ubuntu4)
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
    TLS:           __thread
    SIGSEGV:       altstack
    Notifications: epoll
    Architecture:  amd64
    Disabled:      none
    Misc:          softdebug
    LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
    GC:            sgen
brian@brian-desktop ~ $

Also i managed to capture a screenshot of the 'error'

airvpn crap.png

The screenshot refers to OpenVPN log output and is not even an error per se. I'm more concerned about Mono getting unresponsive, which is also the error you described in the original post. The solution could be an upgrade of Mono to rule out any Mono bugs. On the official download page you could try the steps for Ubuntu 18.04, it's at least the closest Ubuntu release to Linux Mint 18.3. Then type

$ sudo apt-get install mono-complete

Posted ... (edited)

I followed the path in your link....stps for ubuntu 18.04....and the  typed sudo apt-get install mono-complete .....

brian@brian-desktop ~ $ sudo apt-get install mono-complete
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 mono-complete : Depends: mono-runtime (= 6.10.0.104-0xamarin16+ubuntu1804b1) but 4.2.1.102+dfsg2-7ubuntu4 is to be installed
                 Depends: mono-runtime-sgen (= 6.10.0.104-0xamarin16+ubuntu1804b1) but 4.2.1.102+dfsg2-7ubuntu4 is to be installed
                 Depends: mono-llvm-support (= 6.10.0.104-0xamarin16+ubuntu1804b1) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libmono-2.0-1 (= 6.10.0.104-0xamarin16+ubuntu1804b1) but 4.2.1.102+dfsg2-7ubuntu4 is to be installed
                 Depends: mono-utils (= 6.10.0.104-0xamarin16+ubuntu1804b1) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: mono-devel (= 6.10.0.104-0xamarin16+ubuntu1804b1) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: mono-mcs (= 6.10.0.104-0xamarin16+ubuntu1804b1) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: mono-roslyn (= 6.10.0.104-0xamarin16+ubuntu1804b1) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: mono-csharp-shell (= 6.10.0.104-0xamarin16+ubuntu1804b1) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: mono-4.0-gac (= 6.10.0.104-0xamarin16+ubuntu1804b1) but 4.2.1.102+dfsg2-7ubuntu4 is to be installed
                 Depends: monodoc-base (= 6.10.0.104-0xamarin16+ubuntu1804b1) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: monodoc-manual (= 6.10.0.104-0xamarin16+ubuntu1804b1) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libmono-cil-dev (= 6.10.0.104-0xamarin16+ubuntu1804b1) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: ca-certificates-mono (= 6.10.0.104-0xamarin16+ubuntu1804b1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Went to Synaptic ....custom filters...selected broken......No result showing   

Had a look in software manager........see screenshot attached....is it worth rolling back system via Timeshift to remove the ubuntu 18.04 stuff, and install the Mono-complete ?

mono....software manager.png

Edited ... by Condobloke
add more info & screenshot

Can you type "cat /etc/os-release" in a terminal and see what it says?
The screenshot from your software manager points to Mint 19.x, not Mint 18.x.

When I had issues with Eddie a while back (on Mint 18.3 or 19.0 - can't recall), I completely purged my system of Mono, and uninstalled Eddie.  Then, I installed 'mono-devel' instead.  It's overkill and will take up an additional 500 MB of disk space.  https://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/#download-lin

Ubuntu 18.04 (i386, amd64, armhf, arm64, ppc64el)

sudo apt install gnupg ca-certificates
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
echo "deb https://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu stable-bionic main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official-stable.list
sudo apt update

Ubuntu 16.04 (i386, amd64, armhf, arm64, ppc64el)

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
sudo apt install apt-transport-https ca-certificates
echo "deb https://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu stable-xenial main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official-stable.list
sudo apt update
sudo apt update
sudo apt install mono-complete mono-devel

After installing mono-devel, I reinstalled Eddie.  The issues I had went away after that.  I'm not sure if it's helpful to your situation, but it worked for me at the time.

9 hours ago, Condobloke said:

Had a look in software manager........see screenshot attached....is it worth rolling back system via Timeshift to remove the ubuntu 18.04 stuff, and install the Mono-complete ?

APT doesn't do anything if it encounters even the smallest error which could lead to an inconsistent package installation status. Specifically done so that you don't have to do these rollbacks with Timeshift or other backup programs. Nifty, huh? :)
Do try Mr. monstrocity's suggestion, though.

@monstrocity Which version would be safer to install on 18.3, 16.04 or 18.04? Which one did you install back then?

@giganerd"Which version would be safer to install on 18.3, 16.04 or 18.04? Which one did you install back then?" --> Ubuntu 16.04

Linux Mint 18.x = Ubuntu 16.04 LTS base (xenial)
Linux Mint 19.x = Ubuntu 18,04 LTS base (bionic)
Linux Mint 20.x = Ubuntu 20.04 LTS base (focal)

In the screenshot of the software manager posted above, you can see the mono package is for Ubuntu 18.04, not 16.04.  That is why I wondered if the OP was on LM 19.3.  Usually the software manager will only show packages relevant for the OS version, unless it has been backported to work on the previous major release point.

Posted ... (edited)

brian@brian-desktop ~ $ cat /etc/os-release
NAME="Linux Mint"
VERSION="18.3 (Sylvia)"
ID=linuxmint
ID_LIKE=ubuntu
PRETTY_NAME="Linux Mint 18.3"
VERSION_ID="18.3"
HOME_URL="http://www.linuxmint.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://forums.linuxmint.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/"
VERSION_CODENAME=sylvia
UBUNTU_CODENAME=xenial
brian@brian-desktop ~ $

I now have an error when I click to open eddie...see attached

error eddie.png

Edited ... by Condobloke
forgot to attach screenshot

Posted ... (edited)

I have a Timeshift snapshot dated 6th august.......may be good to start from there ?
Then maybe purge everything 'mono'    ...?...(how do I do that ?)
Then install mono-devel
Then reinstall eddie

??

Edited ... by Condobloke
add text

There's no need for timeshift if your problems started two weeks ago.  Type these commands, one at a time, followed by enter.

sudo apt remove eddie*
(If this doesn't work, you can type eddie in your search bar, right click, and uninstall.)

sudo apt purge libmono* cli-common mono-runtime

sudo apt autoremove

sudo apt install apt-transport-https ca-certificates

echo "deb https://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu stable-xenial main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official-stable.list

sudo apt update

sudo apt install mono-devel

wget -qO - https://eddie.website/repository/keys/eddie_maintainer_gpg.key|sudo apt-key add -

echo "deb http://eddie.website/repository/apt testing main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/eddie.website.list

sudo apt install eddie-ui

The last command... E:unable to locate package eddie-ui

So....just download and install from airvpn ?

sudo apt install eddie-ui

Try sudo apt install eddie, or just download the Eddie deb package and install it that way.

This may not work for you, but giganerd thought it was mono causing your issues.  Once you set up eddie again and try it out, you'll find out one way or another.  Hopefully, it works.

Posted ... (edited)

I had a problem just the other day......I was well looked after by giganerd & monstrocity
AirVpn ran beautifully for two days (approx)

Until today.....after I had downloaded, It became apparent that eddie had frozen again
When it does this i usually 'kill' the processes in system monitor.......they will not always 'die'

So...rebooted.
Then  ....I have to start eddie again....when i have entered my password, it goes through its usual process.....but the last notification is "DEactivating network lock".....then eddies graphic window pops open and shows as the network lock being activated (green)

I simply click to deactivate it and then x the window closed and all is cool to use my pc (until the next time I choose to use eddie)

Edited ... by Condobloke
spelling

Took the liberty to merge your newest thread with your old one and unlocked it as well.
So it seems the problem is also somewhere else, then.

Although....after I had followed monstrocity instructions, it did perform beautifully.....no freezes etc at all.
.....and then today it all just got bl;own out of the water !!

I filed a topic earlier today (maybe in the wrong spot....I will paste their reply below....
Hello and thank you for your choice!

If Network Lock is enabled, Eddie might even crash and you would have no traffic leaks, because Network Lock is a set of firewall rules.

Can you please send us a system report generated by Eddie (the Air client software) and taken just after the problem has occurred? Please click "Logs" tab, click the LIFE BELT icon, click "Copy to clipboard" icon and paste into your message.

Kind regards
AirVPN Support Team

1 minute ago, Condobloke said:

Although....after I had followed monstrocity instructions, it did perform beautifully.....no freezes etc at all.
.....and then today it all just got bl;own out of the water !!

I can imagine certain actions in your desktop environment triggering this, like a program going fullscreen, screen recording via Xcomposite or XSHM, etc. At this point I'd even find general info on your whole system helpful.

sudo apt-get install inxi && inxi -Fz

Another idea: What you could do is to permanently watch the Eddie window while you do all kinds of things you normally do. The moment it gets irresponsive might indicate which of your actions triggered it, and one could trace this back to the technical trigger. Because from what I gather Eddie is really not the problem here, it's either Mono, the desktop or one or a few of their libraries.

I have left eddie connected for over one day......doing all the bits and pieces that I usually do...screenshots, forum work, social media, firefox browser news pages nightingale music player/organiser, imgur, thunderbird mail, qbittorrent, libreoffice writer, Timeshift, catfish file search, .......I have used those apps and screwed around in such a way that they have all been used, downloaded movies etc at the same time, paused those downloads, turned them on and off, used Terminal, installed updates for bits and pieces via the update manager blah blahh blah....and Eddie just refuses to to freeze/stop/...etc etc

Throw this topic in the bin.....I will simply continue to watch/monitor for weirdness.
I do note that when I select "connect to a recommended server, the selection is in Canada
This does not worry me at all, but until rfecently the recommended was almost invariably in Netherlands.........and now AI think about it the 'freezes' took place when I had selected a server myself in Netherlands
Probably not significant ?

"AI" :D It's more like an evaluation of simple data points to connect to the server with the best resulting number. A simple algorithm to determine it for all servers and a comparison or even sorting operation, really nothing special.

1 hour ago, Condobloke said:

Throw this topic in the bin.....I will simply continue to watch/monitor for weirdness.

Do this, and please report if anything comes up.