Not connected, Your IP: 3.15.186.124
cwtokyo

Regarding communication via router with VPN installed.

Hi all.

The router will be RT-AC68U.
If your specify AirVPN's Dutch server for your router and AirVPN's server in the UK for your PC, which server will you specify for communication through the router?

Not sure I got it right. You are asking which server you connect to on your router, if you want to connect your PC to a server in UK? In which case you wrote the answer yourself.
Or is it double-hop you want to achieve? Then this is not the way to do it.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I believe what cwtokyo is asking is If he/she already has their router setup to connect to Dutch servers, what server IP will be their exit IP if he/she connects through to a UK server via Eddie through his/her PC. Is this correct cwtokyo? 

You are correct.
I assigned a Dutch server to the router's VPN and then selected a Japanese server in Linux Eddie. Here's the result.

When I set up a VPN on my router and measured DNS on dnsleaktest.com, it showed my personal contracted ISP; when I measured dnsleaktest.com using Eddie 2.18.9, it showed AirVPN's DNS correctly.
One advantage of setting up a VPN on your router is that AirVPN's IP appears in Eddie's Real IP detected, which is appreciated.
This is because if, for whatever reason, there is a network lock malfunction, my ISP doesn't show up, and AirVPN's IP is displayed. However, the connection speed is terrible. What do you guys think?

19 minutes ago, cwtokyo said:

What do you guys think? 

So essentially it is double-hop you built. :D And it will kill stability and throughput quite effectively, as you experienced it. Personally I wouldn't do it, the problems largely outweigh the benefits. Not to mention, if you browse Netflix, you will be routed through three different servers, as if you're building a small Tor circuit yourself, and you know what they say about Tor regarding performance. It's better to establish one stable connection with good throughput and keep all activity firmly inside this connection, also by preventing connections outside the tunnel. This is what NetLock does, anyway, but on a router you need to configure the firewall yourself.
Oh, and plus, not all routers can handle high throughput with an AES-256-GCM cipher.

28 minutes ago, cwtokyo said:

When I set up a VPN on my router and measured DNS on dnsleaktest.com, it showed my personal contracted ISP;

Of course you should set static DNS servers in your router as well. OpenVPN will only set the DNS it gets from the OpenVPN server for the tunnel interface, all other interfaces are left untouched. This is probably why it showed your ISP DNS servers and only started working with Eddie (as it sets the received DNS servers for all interfaces).

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.