Not connected, Your IP: 3.80.144.110
yeehi

ANSWERED email blocked while using AirVPN Muscida

After trying to send an email to an ISP, the email failed to be sent and was blocked with the following message. I think the Muscida VPN server must have been blacklisted. 

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:
554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [213.152.162.154] blocked
you may be infected 

What should we do when it seems that somebody has been abusing an AirVPN server and causing it to be blacklisted or blocked? How can we verify that this is the case?

2 minutes ago, yeehi said:

What should we do when it seems that somebody has been abusing an AirVPN server and causing it to be blacklisted or blocked? How can we verify that this is the case?

We can't. And there's nothing you can do except sending mail from a device not connected to a VPN server, or changing the mail provider.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Thanks again, giganerd.

This must be a difficult situation for any VPN provider then. Let us say a new VPN company starts, with 10 servers, one in each of ten different countries. It would only take one horrible person to abuse each of those servers and then the entire company would have all its exit nodes blacklisted. All its customers would suffer. The company couldn't continue. 

How do VPNs survive this? 

12 minutes ago, yeehi said:

Let us say a new VPN company starts, with 10 servers, one in each of ten different countries.

Then ~50% of them would be blocked outright because they're with the wrong datacenter. :D Some like M247 are known to be used by many VPN providers, so all their subnets are blocked right away.

It would only take one horrible person to abuse each of those servers and then the entire company would have all its exit nodes blacklisted. All its customers would suffer. The company couldn't continue. 

It could probably continue, but unless this "we NAT all people through one public IPv4 address" is not stopped, this is the ultimate result, yes.

How do VPNs survive this? 

By not relying on one single ISP. Variety is key, but if variety grows, so does maintenance complexity.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.