Not connected, Your IP: 18.119.126.80
John Gow

Eddie v. 2.19.4 Exp build security/crash issues on Linux

Hello friends,

I usually resort to installing the experimental builds instead of posting here, as those have fixes for crash problems not in the stable branch.
Just now, Eddie appeared gray (offline) in the systray. I quit Eddie, but the window persisted, as did my connection to the VPN. This was a new one, but it is compounded by another more worrying bug.
On a couple occasions I have quit eddie and OpenVPN will remain on, when the proper behavior is for Eddie to terminate the processes for which it has been given elevated privilege.
If I logoff with Eddie still on, eddie doesn't know how to deal, and will "crash," while the OpenVPN session remains active.
All this is pretty worrying, as I don't know what the real status of my connection is, if network lock is actually working, etc.
Kernel: 4.15.0-112-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)

Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) info: mate-panel dm: lightdm
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

Please let me know if this is a known problem, if  I can give you logs, and if this might be addressed in a coming patch. Thank you for all the work you do!

I've had this problem for over a year, I've reported it several times. Tech support is useless, they tried to blame it on my pc. Well, I've replaced the laptop, and have a fresh install of Linux mint, which I've run for years without any problems. Eddie is a buggy piece of crap in my opinion. It's sad no other service has a client like this, if they did, I'd dump airvpn in a heartbeat!! But changing vpn servers otherwise is a slow, tedious task.

@John Gow Interestingly, another user posted a similar thing two days ago, and he was also using Linux Mint 18.3. I have reason to believe it to be a Mono version thing.Could you do my suggestion there as well and report back?

40 minutes ago, pop22 said:

Tech support is useless, they tried to blame it on my pc.

To be fair, at least 80% of problems are problems with a client's setup (OS, config, connection, ISP, etc).

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I disagree, tech support is not useless. I've been using airvpn for 2-3 years now. I have tried other vpns, and the eddie client actually does what it's telling you its doing. a lot of clients don't even have proper logs, and then there's NordVPN, which not only does nothing, but sells your web traffic.
I am getting the picture that it's time for me to jump ship to 19.3... I doubt anyone in their right mind will pay attention to a linux user using software that will be EOL in a year.
Thanks for your responses.

Sorry giganerd, I somehow missed your suggestion. A clean install of Mono is probably a very good idea, that's really the thing that's causing this I think. A long time ago I used to observe
mono process spiking to 100% and hanging, but I thought this was fixed with new versions of the client, perhaps it has come full circle.  Here's to hoping that new OS fixes this thing, thanks!

~ $  mono --version
Mono JIT compiler version 4.2.1 (Debian 4.2.1.102+dfsg2-7ubuntu4)
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
	TLS:           __thread
	SIGSEGV:       altstack
	Notifications: epoll
	Architecture:  amd64
	Disabled:      none
	Misc:          softdebug 
	LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
	GC:            sgen

I'm now on my third laptop, running Mint 19.2 Cinnamon and still have these problems. Sometimes I find that the GUI has disappeared. Try a restart and it says already running. Other times it locks up the GUI. When it does this and I reboot, it takes up to three minutes before it even completes the shutdown process, normally it's 15 seconds or less.  Sometimes the server list "disappears", again needing a restart to fix.  Sometimes a reboot will fix it for a day sometimes a few hours.  For now, I just live with it.

I also often get this error:

449016394_Screenshotfrom2020-10-3108-55-47.thumb.png.d16ac2746186d0056bdb085366d035e8.png

@pop22

Hello!

Which Mono version do you have in your system?

Try to delete file ~/.config/eddie/default.profile while Eddie is not running and check whether the problem persists or not. From a CLI:
rm ~/.config/eddie/default.profile

You will need to re-enter your credentials when you re-start Eddie.

If the problem remains, can you please test (if you haven't already done so) the AppImage (click "AppImage" icon in the usual download page)?

Quick reference to run an AppImage:
https://itsfoss.com/use-appimage-linux/

Kind regards