Not connected, Your IP: 107.22.56.225
cheetoh

Mediacom sees right through AirVPN's servers.

Using qBittorrent, and with your Swiss server activated, we received a call from our ISP-Mediacom this morning (almost in real-time!) stating there may be a DMCA violation of a download of Hamilton we had this morning. I showed them I paid for it and they stated it was probably not a valid transaction. They said the DMCA gestapo wouldn't have contacted them if it was. I know you guys (Italy) are part of "14 Eyes" but I assumed that agreement/cooperation would only be used in extreme cases. I did not use your DNS (10.4.0.1 - 10.5.0.1) at first but I don't think that mattered as the data was encrypted anyway. I always delete each download through qBittorrent as well as residual files when qBit's prompt to do so pops up. Can Mediacom see past AirVPN's encryption if they want?

2 hours ago, cheetoh said:

Can Mediacom see past AirVPN's encryption if they want?

I am very sure that at the time of the download your machine was not properly routed through the VPN. That's all the magic there is to it. No "14 eyes super-mega spying operation in cooperation with NSA" or whatever to root you out individually.
Did you use Eddie at this time?

qBittorrent can bind to specific interfaces. In case of a lost connection, or no connection at all, it acts as a kill switch. I suggest setting this to the TAP adapter/tun interface, whatever your OS is. It's in the advanced settings.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

2 hours ago, cheetoh said:

I did not use your DNS (10.4.0.1 - 10.5.0.1) at first but I don't think that mattered as the data was encrypted anyway.

Only 10.4.0.1 is now used for/by "second generation servers".
Out of sheer curiosity what DNS servers did you use?
This is the first time I hear of an ISP call on some downloaded file. 

Thanks for all replies.

Layout: Windows 10 Pro v1511 build 10586.1176, Eddie 218.9 w/AirVPN DNS (90% of time otherwise whatever default ISP DNS uses), qBittorrent v.4.2.5, Firefox 78.0.2 (private window) “media.peerconnection.enabled” set to false. I only use eztv, pbay, zooqle, and lime for past several years.

1.       “..not properly routed through the VPN.” – Admittedly, I’ve gotten complacent by not dbl checking connection through http://ipleak.net/ after implementing Eddie. It’s has been so reliable, I stopped checking, I guess.

2.       “qBittorrent can bind to specific interfaces…I suggest setting this to the TAP adapter/tun interface, whatever your OS is. It's in the advanced settings.” – “Advanced/Network Interface/Value = (isatap. {092CC44E-…})”, right?

3.       “Only 10.4.0.1 is now used for/by "second generation servers".” – Not sure what that means but is there another DNS server currently suggested by/for Eddie?

4.       “Out of sheer curiosity what DNS servers did you use?” – Default ISP server(s) (Mediacom).

5.       “This is the first time I hear of an ISP call on some downloaded file.” – Me too.

Are there any other tweaks to qBit (or other apps) not covered in guides/walkthroughs on this forum? I realize setups are catered to personal preferences to an extent but there have to be "super-setups" bullet proofed as well as they can be using current tools. 

@cheetoh

Hello!

Network Lock option is highly recommended and explained in various guides and basic instructions. Even in the welcome e-mail we describe and recommend it. Network Lock prevents any possible traffic leak outside the VPN tunnel including leaks caused by software mis-configuration as well as leaks caused by unexpected VPN disconnection. Network Lock is even enabled by default by Hummingbird. When Network Lock is enabled you don't have to worry about errors in torrent software, and any other software, binding.

Kind regards

I forgot about that lock function! I started using it a while back when you guys first implemented it too. My activity slowed down quite a bit with the world on fire. Also, canvasing to oust President Trumpturd has been a timely distraction. Thanks for the reminder.