Not connected, Your IP: 18.206.12.31
korgen

Need help : random timeouts/disconnections

Hi,
I tried 2 vpn before this one that had the same issue, I'm new to AirVPN and I'd like this one working.
I have random timeouts or disconnections (up and down speed at 0 during around 30 seconds or 1 min before it raised again). It disconnects me from p2p servers, web navigation, etc...
I disabled ipv6, tried to set on TCP, changed server/country but the issue is still here.
I'm using Eddie 2.18.9, windows 10 updated.

Joined a .txt log file from today.
During this time, I can tell I experienced issues at 01:41, 02:27, 02:58, 03:45, 03:57
Maybe there were more timeouts (I'm not always in front of my pc ^^)

I really hope having a stable connection.

Eddie_20200724_063103.txt

We might need a bit more info. In Logs tab, click the lifebelt icon and upload the output the same way you uploaded the logs. Thank you :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Looks okay. Is there a reason you disabled the DNS checks?
What's your router and model? ISP? Subscribed throughput?
Are you downloading something, especially with BitTorrent, by any chance?

I disabled DNS checks to see if it made a difference, but no (and I forgot to enable it back)

ISP: Orange
router : livebox 4 by sagemcom (wired to the pc)
Subscribed throughput : 1 Gb/s (fiber)

Yes, I was using p2p client, so I was downloading indeed. This is the main reason why I need a vpn ^^

9 hours ago, korgen said:

Yes, I was using p2p client, so I was downloading indeed. This is the main reason why I need a vpn ^^

I see. What are the connection settings?

Super unhealthy settings, I'd say. With a down limit of 125k, I assume that's kilobytes, 1000 would be more than enough. I've set 1000 and I'm on 250/40 Mbit/s, downloading with full throughput. This value goes into the "limites de connexion" field.
The other "Sources max. par fichier" could be max connections per torrent. That is, if "fichier" (= file) refers to a torrent file and not a file referenced by a torrent. I'm usually able to reach full download throughput with a 100 there but you could tailor it a bit to your needs. If the torrents you download are usually hosted by seedboxes, a smaller value can be applied.

I've got a theory. The issues you write about might stem from this setting. Something not many people know about Windows is the fact that all end user editions of Windows have got a max concurrent (incoming?) connection limit that is enforced system-wide. Its value is, according to the internet, 20, again, across all apps you are running. What I can imagine is that, due to the client permitted to use unlimited connections, more and more of them are used up as other clients connect to yours. You experience outages when 20 BitTorrent clients are still not done downloading a part from you while another app wants a 21st to be opened. That one connects to some server and requests content or so, but can't get anything back because it didn't get permission to listen in time.

Theory zone, happy to learn more about it all. But really, you could start with 100 max connections and go up to 1000 if no issues arise. And you can stay on 1000. Other suggestions by other people who read this are very welcome. :)

I forgot that concurrent connection limit. I think you're right and I realized that these settings (it's emule, not bittorent but that's not important) are set for a full fiber bandwidth while airvpn speed is around 1/4 of my connection (I increased tcp and udp buffer to 512).
I think I'll try to divide these values (or use a tool I found that gives recommended settings) and decrease gradually. I'll let you know ;)

So... I downloaded a file with bittorrent, played games (Overwatch and World of Warcraft) : everything was fine.
Using Emule, tried many values, decreased to slow adsl connection (5000 ko/s, hard limit 500 and max connections 250) : still having disconnections.
There's a problem with Emule and VPN but I can't tell what.

I tried to use my Google-fu to find the information about this. I found that port forwarding is essentials for eMule to function, it is common issues for eMule with VPN due to misconfigured port forwarding or it was not set up. Have you tried setting up the port forwarding in your AirVPN account? If you already set up the port forwarding in your router for eMule, remove that rules from the router and put the port forwarding in your AirVPN account. Click on 'Client Area' tab on the top of this page, then click Manage button in 'Ports' section. On that page, put down the port number that you want to forward in Local Port and make sure your eMule have the same port number. For DDNS part, you can leave it blank. After you fill in the information, click Add button. Then try to test it out again to see if it works this time?

Configuring the port was the 1st thing I made when I suscribed here.
Emule port tests are successful and I've got an high ID.

Mmm that is a tough to find out what the problem is. I believe the next stop, not sure if you are comfortable sharing it, is to post your eMule log. It should provide us a clue to find out the problem is, eMule log should have further information about the issues.

I don't find any log file and if I found them I'd rather not publish that kind of data. But I can make some settings screenshots.

I just noticed that a reply was cached, but I never actually sent it. 😮
Check your screenshot, it's practically unreadable.

Yes, but for me there's nothing to hold on. Gotta wait for someone with eMule + VPN experience.

Here another round of troubleshooting to see if it works.

I see you didn't say the version of eMule you are using. Are you using 0.50a (Official) or 0.51d (Community)? If you are using 0.50a, then I recommend you try the Community version. Official version (0.50a) are decade old whereas the Community version (0.51d) is a year old. Try the community version to see if it works.

There is forked version of eMule which is eMule MorphXT. However, the last official release is 8 years ago, but it is recommended by someone in eMule forum that they don't have an issue with this (the post was less than 6 months old). Benefits with eMule MorphXT that it has interface binding and it have mod options to tune further. You can try to bind MorphXT to TAP Adapter and see if that works better. Further information about this is here: VPN and eMule - Post #3. Look in #3 comment which posted by Campo, the user provides steps to make MorphXT to work with VPN.

See and try those options and let us know if it successful or not. I am hoping that it works.

Posted ... (edited)
Just as a heads up, make sure you don't have any other firewall software that could be interfering with your connection. I experienced this same issue, but even more often than every hour, and it all started when I installed GlassWire to track connections. After uninstalling GlassWire, my internet connection went back to being stable. Edited ... by bitcohen

Thank you for those answers.
I updated to 0.51d but the issue is still here. I installed Morphxt version, Campo said "The IP you have to insert is the IP from the machine from the vpn service in their LAN, not the outgoing connection."
Do you know where I can find this ip?

@bitcohen I use windows firewall, nothing else.