Not connected, Your IP: 100.26.35.111
umanoid

Plex server on NAS remote access problems

This is something Ive been trying to figure out for ages but despite revisiting over the last few days  I still cant access my plex  server using AirVPN.
I have AirVPN setup on my router and the NAS (running plex server) is set to route through the VPN. I connected  to AirVPN client area and set up a port  to forward to the plex server. I also input a DDNS name because the server will likely change periodically. When I click on "TEST" nothing happens no red light no green light . My Plex server is showing the IP of the AirVPN server (public). When I try and connect it drops almost immediately. I have no port forward setup on the router because in the AirVPN instruction it says not too.
Is there something else I should be doing ?
All help appreciated.

What you're trying to do now is to connect to Plex running on the router, but Plex is running on a device behind it. So you must somehow direct connections to the device actually running Plex. You can do that through port forwarding.

5 minutes ago, umanoid said:

I have no port forward setup on the router because in the AirVPN instruction it says not too.

This is true for connections from the internet to Plex, i.e., if someone uses your ISP IP to connect to it. Think of the AirVPN server as a NAT router here: Someone first connects to its exit IP and is forwarded to your router. Now the connection on that port on the router must be forwarded to the actual device running Plex.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Ok Thanks, So I do forward the port I've set up in AirVPN to Plex port 32400 in the router.
Having just tried that it still doesnt work unfortunately.

19 minutes ago, umanoid said:

Having just tried that it still doesnt work unfortunately.

Well, I can't help you further here. You can troubleshoot connections with netcat, though. Given the ability to work on a command line on both router and NAS you could try this:

$ nc -lv 0.0.0.0 9000

Replace 9000 with the port you want to check a connection to. If you now trigger a port check on AirVPN for example, it should turn green and netcat should output:

Connection received on localhost 9000

If not, you know where it's stuck.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.