Not connected, Your IP: 34.205.2.207
Lestrad

EDDIE fails to install VPN adaptor

Hello. Since I reinstalled Windows 7 I have not been able to get Eddie to work. The GUI appears and I click connect and it asks me if I want to install a driver (tapctl.exe). I click yes, then a command window pops up and then disappears, and then I get a message "VPN network adaptor not found; install fail." This happens again, over and over again.
If I look at the tapctl.exe certificate I see something about the timestamp being malformed. I was able to get Eddie to install once by holding down the F8 key (which disables driver signature enforcement), but that doesn't work anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have tried several different installers, including the one that uses wintun. I can provide any needed info.

Thanks
GP

Posted ... (edited)
21 hours ago, Lestrad said:

I have tried several different installers, including the one that uses wintun. I can provide any needed info.

Try to install it separately. Open a cmd.exe Run-as Admin window.
cd \
cd Program Files
cd OpenVPN
cd bin
tapctl.exe create --hwid wintun
Edited ... by Flx
mistype %userprofile%

Hi and thanks. I've reinstalled eddie-ui_2.18.9_windows-7_x64_installer.exe.
I don't have a Program Files directory under my User directory. In C:\Windows\Program Files I have an AirVPN directory and an OpenVPN directory. The OpenVPN directory has a /bin subdirectory, but there's only one file in it - libopenvpnmsica.dll.
If I run your command in Program Files\AirVPN as admin I get:

C:\Program Files\AirVPN>tapctl.exe create --hwid wintun
{1F4D19F3-DD9D-402D-B47C-6901E047FB86}
But the same thing happens: Eddie starts, runs all the latency tests, then throws a dialog saying "Installing tunnel driver 0901" and asking if I want to allow "C:\Program Files\AirVPN\tapctl.exe" create --hwid root\tap901. I click yes and get a command window for about a half-second with an output that looks like the one I got when I ran your command manually. If I manually run the same command Eddie is running, I get this:
C:\Program Files\AirVPN>tapctl.exe create --hwid root\tap901
tap_create_interface: No driver for device "root\tap901" installed.
Creating TUN/TAP interface failed (error 0x490).
Any ideas? TIA
Les

I was able to install tap-windows.exe from a configuration I downloaded from the AirVPN site this morning. But when trying to run from the command line
I get the error:

Mon Jul 06 09:18:54 2020 CreateFile failed on TAP device: \\.\Global\{A877603D-01BB-4408-B695-B68F54676651}.tap
Mon Jul 06 09:18:54 2020 All TAP-Windows adapters on this system are currently in use.
When I look at the driver in Device Manager I see:
image.png.3e87cbdc149b248186420a556c485dfe.png

I managed to get the TAP V9 adaptor installed with this installer: https://swupdate.openvpn.org/community/releases/tap-windows-9.21.2.exe

Now when I try to connect via the OpenVPN GUI, connection fails with this error:

Mon Jul 06 12:11:04 2020 NETSH: C:\Windows\system32\netsh.exe interface ipv6 set address interface=26 fde6:7a:7d20:bd0::108e store=active
Mon Jul 06 12:11:05 2020 ERROR: netsh command failed: returned error code 1

Log attached.

1 hour ago, Staff said:
it resolves a plethora of problems caused by the TAP driver,

new_AirVPN_Europe_UDP-443.log

@Lestrad

Hello,

possible lack of privileges, please check

Mon Jul 06 12:11:03 2020 NOTE: FlushIpNetTable failed on interface [26] Access is denied.   (status=5) : Access is denied. 

Also check IPv6 support. If you don't have it make sure to not use directives push-peer-info and setenv UV_IPV6=yes

If in doubt use OpenVPN 2.5 from Eddie and take care to set IPv6 layer to Block in Preferences > Networking

Kind regards

I was able to connect finally after installing the TAP driver from the link I gave above and made two changes to my config file:
push-peer-info : delete
setenv UV_IPV6 yes: change to "no"

... However, now that I am connected to a server in Austria, the first "Where is my IP" site I tried reported my exact location. So as far as I am concerned something is still not right at all.

@Lestrad

Maybe you have not resolved the first problem we pointed out? Anyway without log nothing can be said for sure. Always attach log.

Kind regards

Posted ... (edited)

Thanks. To be precise, the site https://whatismycountry.com/ finds my exact location. Other "where is my IP" sites, show Austria, which is as it should be.
Log attached.

I feel that I should inform you that I have been exchanging with you via e-mail on this problem. When you answered my question on this forum I naturally responded. ou may prefer one or the other. If so let me know.

In any case thanks for your responsiveness.

UPDATE:

I cleared all my browser data and re-started Firefox, and now https://whatismycountry.com/ finds my location as Austria.

Thanks for your patience. All is well for the moment.

Eddie_20200706_172256.txt

Edited ... by Lestrad
Progress was made.