Not connected, Your IP: 44.201.24.171

Hi everyone, i have just signed up for three days to test and cant seem to connect to my router through the merlin openvpn client settings page. it says connected but in vpn status it just says connecting and never does? cant find any specific info for airvpn router setup guides either..

On 6/28/2020 at 3:59 PM, sheppss said:

Hi everyone, i have just signed up for three days to test and cant seem to connect to my router through the merlin openvpn client settings page. it says connected but in vpn status it just says connecting and never does? cant find any specific info for airvpn router setup guides either..

Probably a little late for you, but I use AirVPN perfectly well through Asus WRT Merlin, so it certainly is possible - I have been struggling with a more recent OVPN file I created but an old one I have used for years is fine. There's a possibility that there's an incompatibility that's been accidentally added to the config generator. Either put in a support request, or check your router's logs.

Mine throws this up when I try one of the newer configs, whereas TunnelBlick on my Mac is fine with it:

Jun 30 20:51:37 ovpn-client1[7810]: /bin/ip -6 addr add fde6:7a:7d20:1e28::10b5/64 dev tun11
Jun 30 20:51:37 ovpn-client1[7810]: Linux ip -6 addr add failed: external program exited with error status: 2
Jun 30 20:51:37 ovpn-client1[7810]: Exiting due to fatal error

And a quick search brings this up - You (like I) probably have IPv6 disabled, enable it and it'll probably work. Explains why my really old config works fine as it's before they started adding IPv6 to their configs.

AND, after a quick test, it works fine. I went for the IPv6 Passthrough option. No idea if that's right or wrong, but it works.

On 6/30/2020 at 9:20 PM, wuffles said:

AND, after a quick test, it works fine. I went for the IPv6 Passthrough option. No idea if that's right or wrong, but it works.

Your advice saved me a lot more work than I had already been doing after upbraiding my Asus 86U router with a newer firmware from Merlin. Couldn't understand why it would no longer connect, but fail, with a config provided by AIR.  Set the IPv6 as passthrough and now it works fine.

A pity that we needed to find out this way tho. Spent hours today trying to resolve this issue...!

guys I am really having trouble to have my VPN running with merlin. Can you guys tell what i need to do? I just turn on IPv6 on my rt-ac86u. thank you. yes, latest merlin update.

On 6/30/2020 at 9:20 PM, wuffles said:

Yes, enable it and select this option.

9 hours ago, Amazight64 said:

Had the same issue all day and bingo it worked after enabling IPV6

You can either do that, like I did, or simply use the advanced settings when creating a config file and do not selct IPV6, so all your settings are IPV4. It will then work as well.

A short essay on the human condition.

I spent 3+ hours the other day tearing my hair out on why my vpn wasn't working after upgrading my router, completely forgetting my own advice.

I see others struggling, yeah I ran into the ipv6 issue you really do have to get each and every setting correct.

I have made a post here:

Its rough guide I threw together in the last hour or so, its for the Asus Merlin firmware and it includes basic set up and Device Policy Routing (VPN or WAN) under VPN Director. Can any fellow Asus Merlin Router and Air users see if there are mistakes or improvements?