Not connected, Your IP: 54.227.104.229
Terry Stanford

More Eddie Problems - Network Lock not working

I have Eddie 2.18.9 installed on OSX High Sierra on TWO machines, identical installation and identical settings. One is on 2011 iMac, the other on 2012 Macbook Pro. Yet they behave differently, and I am very concerned by what just happened.

Eddie on my Macbook just allowed connections after a reboot even though Eddie is set to run at startup and the network lock is fully on. I was browsing websites and getting emails etc, when I noticed the lack of Eddie in the menu bar. But the Dock showed Eddie with a "dot" underneath, confirming it had started when my machine started. I clicked the Eddie icon on the dock and it suddenly kicked in, raised system priveleges and THEN the network lock kicked in,.

I am really concerned by how many leaks I am getting with Eddie. I know Air is way better than PIA and others, much more secure and much more of a product I want to support (for the ethos of the team mainly). BUT - I can't justify using something which allows connections outside the VPN when I have chosen to use the Network Lock.

Is this a known bug, should I try the beta version?

@Terry Stanford

Hello!

According to your description it's not a bug, the behavior is normal and expected, as Eddie needs root privileges to modify firewall rules (and therefore "enable Network Lock") etc.

If you need "persistent" Network Lock you just need some firewall rules. In pf, for example:

block out all
pass in from 127.0.0.1 to 127.0.0.1
pass out from 127.0.0.1 to 127.0.0.1

(to ensure communications of your machine with itself via sockets etc. you should always allow localhost)

When Eddie enables Network Lock, pf rules are overwritten and communications to VPN servers will be possible. When Eddie quits or Network Lock is disabled, your previous "blocking all" rules will be restored, so no comms outside the VPN are ever possible.

Kind regards

Thanks, but what confuses me is that Eddie DOES block all traffic in this manner (even when it's closed) on my other machine, the iMac. I have identical settings. but if I disconnect or quit Eddie altogther, the internet is blocked. That's how I want it, and I have NO clue about "pf", never made any custom rules like that and wouldn't know how.

Is it possible someone could please give me instructions (idiot ones) for doing what is described above, blocking all internet traffic at all times unless via Eddie. I don't even know what to Google for, so even just a link to an explanatory article would be some use.

thanks very much

10 hours ago, Neighbour80 said:

I don't trust Eddie or any app to never crash under any circumstances.

Hello!

Just to point out that since Network Lock is a set of firewall rules, no traffic leak is possible if Eddie crashes.

Kind regards

I can confirm that Eddie v 2.18.9 does not perform Network Lock the same as previous versions. I am using the same machine as previously installed versions of the app and have never had to add or edit additional settings (either inside Eddie or on my computer) to make Network Lock serve as a "kill switch" for all connections. However, on version 2.18.9, Network Lock seems to let me continue to browse the internet as normal when it previously did not.

I'm going to revert back to previous stable version until this is sorted.

Hellegat - that's kind of the point I was trying to make. I heard the theory and it all sounded good, but (as i just found out again a minute ago), if I kill the Eddie app, my machine can still make connections to the web.

I have an android phone.

@Terry Stanford

VPN Lock is the only safe way (on Android versions older than 9) to prevent traffic leaks. Remember that in Android the application and you don't have administrator privileges and can't set firewall rules.

Each time you see a lock, Eddie Android edition has saved you from traffic leaks. You can disable VPN Lock anyway, in "Settings". In Android 9 and 10 you can prevent traffic leaks outside the VPN tunnel from system settings, so in those versions you can safely disable VPN Lock and activate system leaks prevention.

Kind regards