Not connected, Your IP: 34.235.150.151
Staff

AirVPN 10th birthday celebrations

Hello!

Today we're starting AirVPN tenth birthday celebrations!

From a two servers service located in a single country providing a handful of Mbit/s, the baby has grown up to a wide infrastructure in 22 countries in three continents, providing now 240,000+ Mbit/s to tens of thousands of people around the world.

In 2019 and 2020, software development enhancement has paid off: now AirVPN develops on its own an OpenVPN3 forked library which resolves various problems from the main branch and adds new features. The library is used in Hummingbird, a free and open source software for Linux and Mac, known for its speed and compactness, in Eddie Android edition and in a new software which will be announced in June. Hummingbird has been released even for ARM based Linux devices, and runs fine for example in Raspberry PI.

Eddie Desktop edition has been extensively rewritten to improve performance, reliability and security. Now anything not related to the user interface is written in C++ and a lot of security hardening has been implemented. Total compatibility with macOS Catalina, Windows 10 and latest Linux distributions has been achieved, and specific packages for various, widespread Linux distributions are available for easier installation.

Eddie can act as a GUI for Hummingbird in Linux and Mac, while in Windows, Eddie can also be easily configured to run OpenVPN 2.5 with the wintun driver to achieve remarkable OpenVPN performance boost and put Windows on par with other systems OpenVPN throughput ability. Furthermore, the wintun driver resolves various problems which affected TAP-Windows driver.

Development for OpenBSD and FreeBSD has been unfortunately re-planned but we're glad to announce here that it will continue, starting from summer 2020.

All AirVPN applications and libraries are free and open source software released under GPLv3.

We think that it's somehow surprising that AirVPN not only survived, but even flourished for 10 years, in an increasingly competitive market and increasingly privacy hostile environment.

No whistles and bells, no marketing fluff, no fake locations, no advertising on mainstream media, a transparent privacy policy, no trackers on the web site or in mobile applications, no bullshit of any kind in our infrastructure to sell your personal data to any personal data merchant, and above all a clear mission that is the very reason which AirVPN operates for https://airvpn.org/mission , are probably, all together, the factors which allowed such a small "miracle" and maybe make AirVPN unique.

Thank you all, you users, customers, members of the community, moderators, developers: the small "miracle" happened because of you, because you saw something in AirVPN.

Kind regards and datalove
AirVPN Staff

This provides me with an opportunity to say Thank you to AirVPN as well.

I've been on this ride for nearly seven years now and I've seriously grown to fully trust AirVPN with whatever I do on the internet, in terms of both tech and ideology and the stability of both. Doesn't matter if I'm downloading with BitTorrent, playing a game or two or simply browsing the internet, it feels like nothing changed in terms of throughput or latency, while knowing that those activites are safer to use from a privacy point of view and that AirVPN will not sell me out. Now, I know that experiences vary and someone somewhere in the world don't enjoy the same quality of the service as I do – I live in Central Europe, after all. Problems are there to be solved, and that is what the AirVPN community does, which I personally see among the strong points of AirVPN: Despite the efforts of everyone to stay private and anonymous, even to the point of complete paranoia and exaggeration, there's still something I'd describe as the "AirVPN community spirit". When I started using AirVPN in 2013, and a short while after also spontaneously deciding to contribute to the forums, I didn't think how far this dedication would go. Well, here we are.

Even though I was trying to help others, it would be a lie to say that I didn't learn anything myself. Through the forums I was able to pick up bits and pieces, read further manuals and how-tos, try things out myself, then pick up some more bits, read further, test deeper. The AirVPN community gave me some interesting hints and insights I wouldn't have gotten any other way and also influenced me on some of the more incisive decisions of mine. A humble example would be the decision to ditch Windows altogether, something that largely came from the community, and from the day I did that I not only learned more about the finer things of I.T., I was even able to directly translate what I learned into my job. Knowledge earned me respect, respect earned me.. well, nothing bad, you can be sure of that. Did I say that I never expected the decision to get involved here to turn out this way?

As of today, AirVPN is the reference I compare the rest of the VPN providers to. Thank you again for the great service and may the next ten years be as good as the last and better!

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Happy Birthday AirVPN! I've only been using this service for a couple of months, but it's excellent to see the service turning this age while still living up to it's mission it set over a decade ago.
Thanks for the great service and transparancy, and let's see AirVPN continue on!

Thank you for defending privacy and human rights in such orwellian times.

Happy birthday, keep up the good work!
And don´t drink too much while celebrating :)

Happy birthday AirVPN!🥳

I've been a user for some years now and even though I'm definitely not a tech wizard, I never felt overwhelmed or lost using your service.

Keep up the good work and good deeds to privacy!
Thanks again😁

Congrats! Been a happy AirVPN customer since 2014 and have no reason to look elsewhere. Just signed up for three more years with the anniversary promo... Thanks and keep up the great work! ✌️

Thank you for your hard work team! You're the best!

I must admit by using your services I've learnt so much through the years about networking, VPNs, security, privacy and so on. Thanks.

Cheers to the AirVPN staff for continually investing in their business and customers. I've been an extremely satisfied customer for over 7 years and I'm still banging on about what a great service it is. Reliability and performance have been above board consistently. Server growth has been excellent (noting we are talking about physical servers, not just rented VPS') Just extended my subscription for another year.

On a side note, cheers to all of those who volunteer their time in these forums to provide support and help others.

Been a happy customer for nearly 5 years and never really had a problem. Hope to be a customer for as long as the service here!

Many thanks to all AirVPN staff!

@Neighbour80

Thank you!

Firefox is developed mainly in C, C++, Rust and Javascript.

It's not that a language is inherently "problematic from a security standpoint", the matter is more complex and, really, off-topic here, but you can enjoy 40-years old discussions that are still ongoing on the good and bad points of C++ since 1986 on BBS, and on specialized developers' forums. 🤩

Kind regards

At this point in time, the world is enveloped in the pandemic crisis and many places are still under varying degrees of lockdown. Many of us have experienced unprecedented curtailment of physical freedom in the past months with severe degradation of personal privacy in many aspects. It is not an exaggeration to say that internet access has become the one essential lifeline for the majority of the human population in pre-pandemic times, let alone now.

Thank you, AirVPN, for providing users with the security in an increasingly hostile world where privacy has become almost meaningless.

May you always stay true to your mission and ideals in the decades to come.

As always, I discovered this topic too late ... 
Can respected staff to clarify the deadlines to tariff plans with discounts? In the header message, I do not see anything about it. 
Thanks for the best VPN! 

On 6/8/2020 at 6:27 PM, air-fun said:

As always, I discovered this topic too late ... 
Can respected staff to clarify the deadlines to tariff plans with discounts? In the header message, I do not see anything about it. 
Thanks for the best VPN! 

Hello!

You're welcome to read this:
 And then this about the current discount:
https://airvpn.org/buy/

Although I will say this: sales don't always come with a defined end date and this particular birthday sale must so far be the longest sale that Air has ever had :).

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.