Jump to content
Not connected, Your IP: 3.231.220.225
Psamathe

Long Term Performance Issues

Recommended Posts

My subscription comes up for renewal in a few weeks and as things stand I wont be renewing - at least not without an explanation and commitment for things to improve (a lot).

For several weeks there have been major DNS issues (over the last week even resolving microsoft.com has not worked!). But before trying to post this I was through the VPN and I had to give-up and disconnect and run through my ISP it was taking so long to even get the home page up (I gave up after a couple of minutes  literally). Disconnect and it works fast immediately and the DNS resolves addresses, etc. Often through the VPN and name resolving issues, rubbish performance.

I don't know which server I connect through as I just connect to the UK UDP name and something else choses how to resolve. I could record the IP but by the time I've waited to the point of frustration I want to get on so reverting to ISP without VPN with loss of VPN privacy, etc. I can'g be bothered to start recording servers, etc. - I don't pay money to waste time on a repeating basis.

Again, could not establish which server I was through when I waited an age to get to airvpn.org to post this as I had to give-up and run only through ISP (so web page would not display server).

It used to be excellent but over time things have gradually got worse and it's now a disaster - so why would I pay to renew? Assurances or reasons sought with what is to be done to resolve.

Share this post


Link to post

Nice of you to wait several weeks to report your troubles. :)
First of all, we need logs. In Eddie's Logs tab, click the lifebelt icon and paste or upload the output here. Should you use other VPN clients, first set the verb directive from 3 to 4, then connect and try a few things, like browse the net, resolve some things, etc., then copy and paste or upload the logs here.
 

1 hour ago, Psamathe said:

It used to be excellent but over time things have gradually got worse and it's now a disaster


Have you tried other countries, servers, ports to actually be sure it's everywhere and not only on select few servers? I mean, it's still excellent in Germany. And the few servers I tried in all of Europe in the past. ;)

» I am not an AirVPN team member. All opinions are my own and are not to be considered official. Only the AirVPN Staff account should be viewed as such.

» The forums is a place where you can ask questions to the community. You are not entitled to guaranteed answer times. Answer quality may vary, too. If you need professional support, please create tickets.

» If you're new, take some time to read LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN. On questions, use the search function first. On errors, search for the error message instead.

» If you choose to create a new thread, keep in mind that we don't know your setup. Give info about it. Never forget the OpenVPN logs or, for Eddie, the support file (Logs > lifebelt icon).

» The community kindly asks you to not set up Tor exit relays when connected to AirVPN. Their IP addresses are subject to restrictions and these are relayed to all users of the affected servers.

 

» Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. If you overdo privacy, chances are you will be unique amond the mass again.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, giganerd said:

Nice of you to wait several weeks to report your troubles. :)


It's difficult to know when to raise such issues. Internet connectivity is such that people helping on the forum would be tearing their hair out with frustration if everybody reported every glitch. So then it becomes when is some passing temporary issue a longer bigger issue and at what point to you report it.
 
4 hours ago, giganerd said:

First of all, we need logs. In Eddie's Logs tab, click the lifebelt icon and paste or upload the output here. Should you use other VPN clients, first set the verb directive from 3 to 4, then connect and try a few things, like browse the net, resolve some things, etc., then copy and paste or upload the logs here.
 

Have you tried other countries, servers, ports to actually be sure it's everywhere and not only on select few servers? I mean, it's still excellent in Germany. And the few servers I tried in all of Europe in the past. ;)

I use Viscosity rather than Eddie and there are logs but a bit of hassle to get to. When it is an issue, I don't automatically assume AirVPN so e.g. OneNote keeps refusing to sync and "Saved Offline" I tend to assume it's OneDrive of Microsoft and the other day I unusually had a bit of time and my iOS OneNote (not through VPN was working fine so I checked the domains OneNote was communicating with and of about 4 or 5 I think it was microsoft.com and live.com that would not resolve (ping could not find the IP address); but disconnect the VPN and they all resolve and OneNote immediately syncs. Same sort of thing with a browser (increasingly often), click on a web site link and browser "hangs" doing nothing so disconnect the VPN and suddenly it springs to life.

I will try switching to another country next time it happens and I have time to play around but I assumed that connect to e.g. gb.vpn.airdns.org and it should select one that's working?

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, Psamathe said:

It's difficult to know when to raise such issues. Internet connectivity is such that people helping on the forum would be tearing their hair out with frustration if everybody reported every glitch. So then it becomes when is some passing temporary issue a longer bigger issue and at what point to you report it.


Well, I see your point, fair enough. Usually people post "I've been watching this for weeks, so it must be you, the provider. Fix this or I quit."
Which ironically is exactly what you did. Threatening the community with the latter is not going to work out frankly. Something for the future. :)
 
32 minutes ago, Psamathe said:

When it is an issue, I don't automatically assume AirVPN so e.g. OneNote keeps refusing to sync and "Saved Offline" I tend to assume it's OneDrive of Microsoft and the other day I unusually had a bit of time and my iOS OneNote (not through VPN was working fine so I checked the domains OneNote was communicating with and of about 4 or 5 I think it was microsoft.com and live.com that would not resolve (ping could not find the IP address); but disconnect the VPN and they all resolve and OneNote immediately syncs. Same sort of thing with a browser (increasingly often), click on a web site link and browser "hangs" doing nothing so disconnect the VPN and suddenly it springs to life.


This sounds familiar. Microsoft is not thrilled at VPN addresses trying to sync. I once created a throwaway OneDrive account to download a certain share via rclone using a VPN, and that account was locked two days later.
 
32 minutes ago, Psamathe said:

I will try switching to another country next time it happens and I have time to play around but I assumed that connect to e.g. gb.vpn.airdns.org and it should select one that's working?


CC.vpn.airdns.org, CC being the country code, always points to the best server in a given country in terms of latency, throughput and client count, among those which are online, of course, and it's updated every five minutes.

» I am not an AirVPN team member. All opinions are my own and are not to be considered official. Only the AirVPN Staff account should be viewed as such.

» The forums is a place where you can ask questions to the community. You are not entitled to guaranteed answer times. Answer quality may vary, too. If you need professional support, please create tickets.

» If you're new, take some time to read LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN. On questions, use the search function first. On errors, search for the error message instead.

» If you choose to create a new thread, keep in mind that we don't know your setup. Give info about it. Never forget the OpenVPN logs or, for Eddie, the support file (Logs > lifebelt icon).

» The community kindly asks you to not set up Tor exit relays when connected to AirVPN. Their IP addresses are subject to restrictions and these are relayed to all users of the affected servers.

 

» Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. If you overdo privacy, chances are you will be unique amond the mass again.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Security Check
    Play CAPTCHA Audio
    Refresh Image

×
×
  • Create New...