Not connected, Your IP: 18.234.154.197

Hi,

So I've been experiencing the same as these guys in this thread from 2017

https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/22305-connection-stops-working-every-few-seconds-minutes/

I use my phone as my internet connection (USB tethering, 4G) and connects to the internet from my laptop with Eddie on Windows.

Since it is a metered connection, I borrow a SIM for when I am doing some heavy downloading like I am now. I swap SIM-cards (shutting the phone off) and does not use them simultaneously.

So SIM1 is the SIM-card I use normally. Yesterday I borrowed SIM2 for the heavy downloading and after maybe 1-2 hours (did not notice how or when it started) I got this weird behavior where I could download torrents but not use the internet for browsing. The internet on the phone did also not work for browsing (did not check if torrents worked on the phone). The torrent downloading however was 60-70% of normal speed, but it worked.

Later when I switched from SIM2 to SIM1 I got 100% on the torrent speed and normal web browsing again. Today I then borrowed SIM2 again and the same thing happened again after a couple of hours. I am not sure, but just before I first noticed it today I dropped my phone so the USB cable disconnected - maybe this can have something to do with it?

So long story short - SIM2 normal behavior for the first 1 to 2 hours, then only torrenting but with limited speed. SIM1 normal behavior all the way. SIM2 also works normally without VPN - the problem only occurs with the VPN.

I think it is an ISP issue and has something to do with how they measure the meetering. SIM1 and SIM2 are identical subscriptions, but SIM2 got upgraded only a couple of days back (from x GB limit to xxx GB limit but with instant effect), so maybe it is some sort of not-updated metering control that kicks in on the ISP side.

Timeline

Yesterday:
SIM2 (first couple of hours) - no problems
SIM2 (after couple of hours) - no browsing and only torrenting
SIM1 (+12 hours) - no problems

Today:
SIM2 (first couple of hours) - no problems
SIM2 (after couple of hours) - no browsing and only torrenting
SIM1 (using now) - no problems

I have been using SIM1 with VPN for many months now and have never seen this issue. Only with SIM2 (which has also worked flawlessy in the past).

I can browse with SIM2 for ~30 seconds if i disconnect and then reconnects to a server. Then browsing stops working and I can only torrent with limited speed.

Fixes tried so far: numerous restarts, exits, shut downs, different server, etc. But as I said, I think it is an ISP issue.

Any advice (that does not include contacting my ISP asking for help browsing while downloading torrents over VPN on a borrowed SIM-card?) :)

EDIT: removed log, not sure if it shows my real IP.

EDIT2: A fix seems to be to remove SIM2 and use SIM1 for an hour or so. After that SIM2 works again.

EDIT3: Here's my not-at-all-technical conclusion: I think it has something to do with a hard connection reset (cable connection lost, computer turned off by holding down power button, etc.) and it only happens with SIM2 (no browsing, only torrents). Switching to SIM1 even for just 10 minutes and then switch back to SIM2 makes SIM2 work again.

2 hours ago, livovo said:

EDIT: removed log, not sure if it shows my real IP.

On a RNDIS-based connection like USB tethering you get private IP addresses from the host (i.e., your phone) in my experience. If you want to make sure, go to some "What is my IP address" website like IPLeak, take note of the v4 and v6 IP addresses, then search for them in the logs. If you see them, obfuscate them. If not, you're good to go. But completely omitting them is counterproductive for troubleshooting efforts. :)

2 hours ago, livovo said:

But as I said, I think it is an ISP issue.

Well, looks like it from what you wrote. What are these ISPs and to which packages are you subscribed? Reading through knowledge bases like the Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki suggests that many GSM ISPs across the world actively restrict what you can do with a SIM card or certain packages with it. Some look very closely on the transmitted (network) packets and may throttle or kill connections if something "bad" is happening.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the log and do not like sharing when I am not certain that there is something identifiable in it :)

But it works now and do not feel like provoking the error again. A fix seems to be to switch SIM-cards which somehow "resets" the error.

The SIM-cards are identical with identical subscriptions, but SIM1 is normally subscribing to xxxx GB and SIM2 is normally subscribing to less GB, but where SIM2 only a couple of days ago upgraded to same package as SIM1.

The ISP is danish based and called CBB. I am pretty sure that they rent themselves onto another network, but do not know which. The package for SIM1 is 1000GB and SIM2 was around 50GB but is now 1000GB also.

Reading through knowledge bases like the Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki suggests that many GSM ISPs across the world actively restrict what you can do with a SIM card or certain packages with it. Some look very closely on the transmitted (network) packets and may throttle or kill connections if something "bad" is happening.

It works as well as a normal connection (only SIM2 is affected, not SIM1) from my point of view with "normal" usage. You are probably right, it sounds reasonable that this should be the error.

It is prepaid in the terms that I pay for the subscription before I use it but it is very much not anonymous. I have to use a unique online government issued identifier when subscribing. SIM1 has been subscribing for longer than SIM2, so perhaps they have changed something there.

Sorry about the logs. Perhaps somebody else will turn up with a similar problem :)

Posted ... (edited)
19 minutes ago, livovo said:

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the log and do not like sharing when I am not certain that there is something identifiable in it :)

There is nothing identifiable in it, stop being so paranoid.

If it happens again, be sure to save it somewhere and get back.

But it works now and do not feel like provoking the error again. A fix seems to be to switch SIM-cards which somehow "resets" the error.

Strictly speaking it's called a workaround. A fix would result in not needing to change them at all.

The ISP is danish based and called CBB. I am pretty sure that they rent themselves onto another network, but do not know which. The package for SIM1 is 1000GB and SIM2 was around 50GB but is now 1000GB also.

CBB is a Telenor company, so likely using the Telenor/Telia network there. Anyway, did you get the SIMs before or after April 2016?

Sorry about the logs. Perhaps somebody else will turn up with a similar problem :)

No, that's your thread. Whoever comes here with "I have the same problem" will most likely be moved to their own topic, unless the user is using the same ISP with the same or a similar SIM card(s). :) Edited ... by giganerd
CBB ownership correction

did you get the SIMs before or after April 2016?

SIM1 is from around that time, but probably a little after. Maybe beginning of 2017. SIM2 is around 6 months old.

I will be sure to upload the logs should it happen again - but now I know where it starts (I think at least - when the connection drops due to the cable being suddenly disconnected, etc), so it is probably not going to happen :)

29 minutes ago, livovo said:

SIM1 is from around that time, but probably a little after. Maybe beginning of 2017. SIM2 is around 6 months old.

That could very well be the confirmation that you are dealing with two different "classes" of SIM cards. Maybe they are identified and treated slightly different, so it's more common for SIM2 to be "reconnected" because of extensive usage of data or a detection of VPN/BitTorrent. We will probably never know for sure. Now we really need someone else with CBB who can test this theory.
Until then let's assume it's something on your end, simply because most errors around here are in fact caused by factors in users' reach. The logs could help with troubleshooting.