Not connected, Your IP: 18.234.255.5
Staff

How to use wintun driver in Windows

IMPORTANT:

This guide does not apply to Eddie 2.19.5 and higher versions.

Procedure is now simple and automated.

Starting from Eddie 2.19.5, wintun driver support can be achieved simply by ticking "Use wintun driver" in Eddie "Preferences" > "Advanced" window. OpenVPN 2.5 or higher version is required. If you run Eddie 2.19.5 or higher versions you can ignore this guide.

Hello!

Although wintun driver is not yet in stable form, it already resolves many issues caused by the TAP-Windows driver, including the infamous bandwidth bottleneck which has always plagued Windows tun/tap virtual network interface. Dramatic performance boost has been observed multiple times on various Windows systems.

If you have problems with TAP driver installation or you experience poor performance, or you have stability issues, or sometimes your tun/tap interface mysteriously does not come up and requires a reset, consider to drop the TAP-Windows driver and migrate to wintun driver.

Starting from OpenVPN 2.5 tech preview, OpenVPN can use the wintun driver. Here you can find all the instructions as well as integrating OpenVPN 2.5 with wintun and Eddie Windows edition, AirVPN free and open source software for Windows.

wintun driver is only for Windows. Other systems do not need it at all.

Please make sure that no antivirus or packet filtering tool interfere.

1) Install OpenVPN 2.5 tech preview with wintun driver.
https://build.openvpn.net/downloads/snapshots/openvpn-install-2.5_git-I607-Win10.exe
(Windows 10)

Please make sure that the installer installs the wintun driver too.

2) Configure Eddie to run the new OpenVPN you have installed:

•  from Eddie's main window select "Preferences" > "Advanced"
  •  in "OpenVPN custom path" select the proper OpenVPN binary file you have installed in point 1, through the file requester (by default and assuming that your HDD is C, it will be C:/Program Files/openvpn/bin/openvpn.exe)
  •  click "Save"

3) Configure Eddie to send a directive to OpenVPN to use the wintun driver:
  • select "Preferences" > "OVPN Directives" from Eddie's main window
  • in the directives field enter the following line:
  • windows-driver wintun
  • press ENTER at the end of the line
  • click "Save"

Kind regards

Thanks Staff for the instructions. However, whenever I reboot (Win 10 Ent 64 bit, not on a domain) I receive an advisory message, attached. Eddie 2.18.9 still works if I ignore it but I'd like to know how to create a config.ovpn file, or juest suppress the message?
Thanks and regards
Exie

Screen Shot 05-16-20 at 09.05 AM.JPG

@exie

Hello!

Perhaps you run OpenVPN at boot (as a service?), you should disable it. Eddie will launch OpenVPN when necessary and pass to it a profile built on the fly according to your settings and preferences.

Kind regards

Morning,
I upgraded OpenVPN to 2.5 beta 1. Now I cannot connect using Eddie 2.19.4
. 2020.08.19 08:15:51 - OpenVPN > 2020-08-19 08:15:51 ERROR:  Wintun requires SYSTEM privileges and therefore should be used with interactive service. If you want to use openvpn from command line, you need to do SYSTEM elevation yourself (for example with psexec).

I'm running without UAC and logged in as an account with admin privs. Any advice? Thanks!

On 8/19/2020 at 8:17 AM, marcmv1 said:

. 2020.08.19 08:15:51 - OpenVPN > 2020-08-19 08:15:51 ERROR:  Wintun requires SYSTEM privileges and therefore should be used with interactive service. If you want to use openvpn from command line, you need to do SYSTEM elevation yourself (for example with psexec).

This error occurs only when a connect to server is command line initialized manually or by script.
OpenVPN GUI doesn't have that problem.

Same issue, Wintun requires SYSTEM privileges....

. 2020.08.20 22:56:54 - OpenVPN > 2020-08-20 22:56:54 open_tun
. 2020.08.20 22:56:54 - OpenVPN > 2020-08-20 22:56:54 ERROR:  Wintun requires SYSTEM privileges and therefore should be used with interactive service. If you want to use openvpn from command line, you need to do SYSTEM elevation yourself (for example with psexec).
. 2020.08.20 22:56:54 - OpenVPN > 2020-08-20 22:56:54 Exiting due to fatal error
! 2020.08.20 22:56:54 - Disconnecting

Using Windows 10 2004 , user is "Administrator" ( the one that comes with windows, enabled from Computer Management )

Unfortunately, same thing happens when using OpenVPN itself with windows-driver wintun directive , so this isn't an "Eddie" issue :(

I will give it a try on another machine with older Windows 10 version (but also Administrator user), see if it makes any difference

Encountering the same issue, OpenVPN GUI works but Eddie doesn't. Any solution yet?
EDIT:
With beta 3 I get the following error:
W 2020.09.04 18:35:20 - Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

On 5/9/2020 at 12:09 PM, Staff said:

1) Install OpenVPN 2.5 tech preview with wintun driver. You can download it from here:
https://openvpn.net/download/openvpn-2-5_git-wintun-technology-preview/

The link in the quote above is no longer valid, so I got what i think is the more current version at the link below. I followed the rest of the instructions in your post and Eddie recognized loaded the wintun driver but got stuck in a loop of trying to connect and disconnecting. Did I get a version of OpenVPN that should work, and/or is there more current info? https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/

10 hours ago, 9dc said:

Encountering the same issue, OpenVPN GUI works but Eddie doesn't. Any solution yet?
EDIT:
With beta 3 I get the following error:
W 2020.09.04 18:35:20 - Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I noticed your post right after I posted mine. I'm getting the same result as you, and have sent a support request through the client area while also posting here. I got a reply that my request has been forwarded to the Eddie developers. If I get a response from the Eddie developers before one is posted here I will pass the info on. 

On 8/20/2020 at 5:11 PM, Shiver Me Whiskers said:

Using Windows 10 2004 , user is "Administrator" ( the one that comes with windows, enabled from Computer Management )

Not to get off-topic here:
Always disable the Default "Admin account and Guest" in Windows OS.  Create your own Admin account(s).

On 9/8/2020 at 8:13 AM, Who's John Galt? said:

Getting "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." issue with openvpn-install-2.5_git-I607-Win10.exe.
Any solution?

This is a known incompatibility problem between Eddie and the latest beta of OpenVPN2.5, it will be fixed in the next beta release, sorry you can only wait for now, we have other issues under investigation before releasing.

Hi Clodo,
                I have been using the openvpn-install-2.5_git-1607-Win10 + Wintun driver following the posting of this thread in May with great success. At first I had it with AirVPN v2.18 and this increased my download connection from an average of 30-35Mb to around 85-95Mb with my VM 200Mb cable broadband. Around two months ago I installed AirVPN v2.19 and am now getting a regular 185-190Mb all the time when using AirVPN. This is giving me download speeds of on average 20Mbps while torrenting and I am very happy with it.
                                                                                                                                                           I use a program called SUMO to keep me informed of program updates and today it informed of an update to openvpn from v2.5.0.0 to v2.5.0.5 now I like to keep my programs up to date but considering all the problems with slow downloads etc between virgin media and AirVPN before the v2.5.0.0 Wintun update I would hate for that to return if I install the openvpn v2.5.0.5 so thought I should ask here before I go and do something stupid?.

Posted ... (edited)

Hi,

I tried to get the Wintun driver to work in Eddie 2.19.4 Beta earlier, but was having the same error as other users have mentioned here. After that, I uninstalled Eddie and used Openvpn for a while, since Wintun was working properly that way. But I can't say the same for openvpn services, they worked when they wanted, disconnected at times, left connection exposed while dropped from servers. GUI was the only properly working way for me with Openvpn, but I think there's too many disadvantages to Eddie in many parts, so I thought to re-install Eddie and start to use it again, even if the Wintun wasn't working. I didn't uninstall Openvpn, just installed Eddie again. And what do you know, now the Wintun drivers work with it. So, I think the possible fix for this issue is, to install Openvpn first and install Eddie after that. If you want to try this, uninstall Eddie, install Openvpn and then install Eddie again. I don't think I changed anything else. I have Wintun enabled in advanced settings and windows-driver wintun, dev tun + persist-tun in OVPN directives, which I think are there by default, except the first one, after you enabled Wintun in advanced settings. I have now ran it for 24 hours without issues, and for now it's working perfectly.

Also make sure that Openvpn services are not running at the same time with Eddie at Control panel -> System and security -> Administrative tools -> Services -> Openvpn services (3 of them). I have set them all to manual mode.

Edited ... by Dieter Haugen
Added little more information of my setup

The problem with OpenVPN2.5 rc2 (or rc1, or beta5) with Eddie is caused by recent changes in OpenVPN that produce a compatibility issue.
Please be patient, both errors above ("Object reference not set to an instance of an object." and "ERROR:  Wintun requires SYSTEM privilege") will be fixed in the next Eddie release, please wait.
We plan to release version 2.19.5 in a few days, and another one (or maybe the same) in bundle with OpenVPN 2.5 STABLE when a stable version is released.

OpenVPN 2.5.0 has been released today. When will Eddie be updated?

@jeuia3e9x74uxu6wk0r2u9kdos

Hello!

You're right, but please be patient, because OpenVPN 2.5 changed an essential feature of OpenVPN 2.5 beta, against the specifications. So all of our work, fine tuned for that specific feature (specs compliant, working properly in OpenVPN 2.5 beta), has been thrown to the trash by the change..

The current status: Eddie 2.19.5 has passed the internal alpha testing and can run OpenVPN 2.5 with wintun successfully. More details can be provided by Clodo about when the software is ready for a public testing.

Kind regards

17 hours ago, Staff said:
@jeuia3e9x74uxu6wk0r2u9kdos

Hello!

Eddie 2.19.5, supporting OpenVPN 2.5 and wintun, is now available: https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/46329-eddie-desktop-219beta-released/?do=findComment&comment=125941

Kind regards

I only ticked the box in 2.19.5 "use wintun driver" without any custom path or directive and it works fine on wintun
is this correct? Maybe guide needs to be ajdusted then

Hmmm it gives me this error when i follow all steps above and try to connect.

W 2020.11.08 20:25:38 - OpenVPN > Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in C:\Users\Colt\AppData\Local\Eddie\a77f2c3e5bb08a9a95af35ef33888646cd5033799e10e967503b9b4f5d215b0b.tmp.ovpn:14: data-ciphers (2.5_git)

It seems i fixed it. I didn´t use the openvpn download link from above...i used this one:
https://openvpn.net/download-open-vpn/