Not connected, Your IP: 35.153.106.141
canaro

IP Leak as a Service?

For some reason my VPN setup, which has been stable for years, is leaking my IP. I installed the IPleak magnet link and after quite a long time, the data started showing on the IPleak.net page.
I am tracking down what is leaking now, but I want to make sure I am always the first to know I am leaking instead of getting a letter in the mail from my ISP. 😞

Is there something like IP Leak that will alert on an IP leak, say send an SMS and/or email? Sort of IPLaaS, IP Leak as a Service.

I worry I'll misconfigure something again and find out the hard way. I don't want to have to manually monitor the IPleak.net page forever. Maybe I should set up a scraper script for IPleak.net and run my own automation?

Did OpenVPN reconnect at some point? Which OS are you using?
And which torrent client?

2 hours ago, canaro said:

Maybe I should set up a scraper script for IPleak.net and run my own automation?

Scrape? Complicated. API? Very easy. :D Even scriptable. But let's find the cause instead.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Thanks for the pointer to that API!  It has some great information, but I don't see where I give it the magnet link ID and get back the "Torrent Address Detection" log ("request dump").  My real IP is showing in that data.  When I first added the leak tracker magnet leak to qBittorrent, I got tracker "Not working" status for quite awhile.  Eventually it started reporting data.  I'd like to automate the collection of that data.

Not sure if OpenVPN reconnected, as I shut everything down until I could investigate when I got my second notice from my ISP.  I have turned on persistent logs in Eddie now, but the logs from the last notice timestamp is lost.  Since it is leaking right now, it doesn't depend on OpenVPN glitching. OS is Windows 10 on an old dedicated box that does nothing but run qBittorrent and AirVPN.  I had Chrome running and now have disabled WebRTC with uBlock Origin, but that doesn't seem to have stopped the leak.  It's not a crisis and I can take my time running some experiments to find it.  I was looking for a second real time line of defense that is out of band of any configuration errors I might make in the future.  "Belt and suspenders" for me!

Thanks!

10 hours ago, canaro said:

I don't see where I give it the magnet link ID and get back the "Torrent Address Detection" log ("request dump")

Not at all. If it's leaking, it does so on OS level, that's the idea. So a general IP query might be enough to spot it.

But if it's only in qBittorrent, in its settings > Advanced, did you bind qBittorrent to the OpenVPN interface? Otherwise it will bind to all. If OpenVPN fails for some reason, it will simply use the physical interface, introducing the leak.

Thanks for the tips.  I had started to reconfigure to only one interface as part of my leak search, by renaming the OpenVPN interface so I could find it in the list.  But I got distracted and never completed that test. ADD and all...  With the change in options and restarting, my Torrent Address Detection is now clean.  Yeah!

So you would not recommend automating that check?  I have been using qBittorrent for a year or so, and a new ISP for two months without any reports, then suddenly two in ten days.  So clearly I can go a very long time leaking without any obvious bad effects.  I would sleep better knowing I would be the first to know about a future misconfiguration.

2 hours ago, canaro said:

So you would not recommend automating that check?

I don't see a way to automate it in a terminal with standard tools. It works with browsers because they all can execute JavaScript.