Not connected, Your IP: 3.85.85.246
hellerlorder

Question about neccesity of port forwarding for torrents

I am running Eddie with network lock on but I haven't done any of this port forwarding stuff yet (as guided in here https://airvpn.org/faq/port_forwarding/ or in FAQ) because the stuff goes over my head. I just installed the eddie, run it and started testing. However, if I try to download a linux distro via torrent, it downloads with no problem so downloading and sharing works. If I run the ipleaknet test in my browser and take the torrent detection test file from there in to my torrent client it only shows the VPN ip and a random port every time I retry it.

Is the VPN safe to use this way on torrents to hide my own ip adress from anyone trying to log it ? If so, is the port forwarding guide part even required? I somehow get the feeling torrenting shouldn't work like this without some proper set up, so am I exposing myself currently if I decided to download something else?

1 minute ago, hellerlorder said:

Is the VPN safe to use this way on torrents to hide my own ip adress from anyone trying to log it ? If so, is the port forwarding guide part even required? I somehow get the feeling torrenting shouldn't work like this without some proper set up, so am I exposing myself currently if I decided to download something else?

No, everything seems to work based on what you wrote. Well done, enjoy. :D

About port forwarding, I'd like to refer to one of my latest posts where someone asked what port forwarding is. I also explain why P2P clients are limited if there are no open ports.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

1 minute ago, giganerd said:

No, everything seems to work based on what you wrote. Well done, enjoy. :D

About port forwarding, I'd like to refer to one of my latest posts where someone asked what port forwarding is. I also explain why P2P clients are limited if there are no open ports.
I actually read your post and that was what made me so confused, because you seem to point out why what I am currently doing shouldn't work. Or I misunderstood your post which is totally a possible option.

Yes, I just wanted to edit the post and say that I noticed you writing there, but it wouldn't let me. So, there's that.

If you have questions to what I wrote there, please ask. :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

This is the part that confuses me a lot. I understand the principle of p2p sharing, but if the port forwarding is required for it to function, why can I share and download files without doing the port forwarding. So if I am understanding correctly, what I am currently doing is fine (just launching eddie with network lock on and downloading all the linux distros in the universe)? And the reserving port and setting it up  in my torrent client isn't neccesary at all?

You have a very different picture if someone tries to connect to you instead, i.e., make the initial connection, for example you host a website and someone wants to access it: This someone would need to contact the public IP of your router. But your router is not hosting the website, some computer behind it does. And the router can't know that this someone wants to reach the website. How do we fix that? With port forwarding: Configure such a router's firewall to direct connections on a certain port to a certain host.

Next bit of info is the nature of P2P: You don't connect to someone anymore unless you are downloading – others must be able to connect to you, and not through a server but directly, or otherwise you'd be able to only contact clients that your client initially contacted itself. That's why it feels like it speeds up your throughput if you forwarded a port for such clients. A P2P client remains usable if you don't forward ports, but it's quite limited.

38 minutes ago, hellerlorder said:

I understand the principle of p2p sharing, but if the port forwarding is required for it to function, why can I share and download files without doing the port forwarding.

Hello!

Just reflect on how the Internet works and you will find the answer: because your client tries to contact other peers and it finds peers which listen. Therefore if every and each peer could not listen, p2p could not exist. Without port forwarding you are doomed to become a parasite in the swarm because you can't be contacted by anyone asking for some chunk.

More in general, if nobody could see unsolicited incoming packets, the whole Internet would not exist.

Kind regards

On top, the Torrentsystem is a bit different in comparison to the edonkey network, of course most people use a emule mod. BitTorrent is used for Updates for Windows 10, Games from Wargaming launcher (World of Tanks) and Blizzard Games like World of Warcraft.

BitTorrent: One part of it is, that in the .torrent is most of the time a server (tracker) inbettet, which tells your clients about sources and unfinished clients. For Softwareupdates and gamepatches, theres often a directdownload in it. So BitTorrent "works" most of the time even on machines in companies which arent configured for p2p. Its just working, not so good, but enough. And if theres a DHT (sourcehandler without server) fallback or you reach at least 1 other client, which is better connected, "peer exchange" (clients can tell other clients about 100% and unfinished clients) its getting faster and better covered.

Edonkey Network: On emule its a complete different story. First, its not IPv6 compatible, so customers like me who have an ISP whith tunnelld IPv4s, cant even use it without a VPN, even for first sourcecontact! With an VPN without port forwarding we can at least connect with low ID and low KAD (KAD is likely DHT on BitTorrent) connection. "Peer exchange" helpds here too and theres a buddy system in KAD, where an other high ID client is helping your client as a bridge.

Of course a High ID makes it extreme faster and more reachable for downloads and uploads.

Result: On BitTorrent its really nice to be "NAT OK" "Green" or "not firewalled". Normally its increasing speed a lot or on torrents with only a few or just 1 complete source, its helping a lot. For Emule, a high ID will make a connection sometimes even possible. Funfact:  a lot user dont activate an ed2k Server anymore. As long as KAD is High ID and the system is longer online, it should work.

edit: some Linux torrents should give full speed even on 1000mbit connections or how fast the harddisk can keep up^^