Not connected, Your IP: 44.204.65.189
frank64

ANSWERED Score and latencies not being displayed in eddie 2.18.9

Debian 10 stable, drive LUKS encrypted, eddie 2.18.9.

No score asterisks or latencies appear in the servers window. In the latency column, a every few seconds, a . is added, .  becomes .. , becomes ..., then .... ,  then ...... etc.

Other than that, eddie works fine.

I've tried uninstalling iptables and ufw, no difference.

I've tried the latest beta, that's just the same.

Eddie 2.16.3 is fine, scores and latencies displayed ok.

Let me know if you need any more info, logs etc, and tell me what to remove from the log in order to be 'safe'

Thanks.

3 hours ago, frank64 said:

Let me know if you need any more info, logs etc, and tell me what to remove from the log in order to be 'safe'

Try a connection, then click the lifebelt icon in Logs tab and paste or upload the output here. If you choose to paste it, consider using the LOG format, it's the top left button in the post editor.

And about removals: Nothing, really. Maybe IPv6 addresses if they're starting with 2 or 3, since they're Unique Global Addresses, no one else would have the same in the world.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Are these latency tests working with VPN connected, or not at all?

Also, is there a specific reason you force OpenVPN into TCP?

Hi Giganerd,

The latencies and scores are not displayed at all (it doesn't matter if I'm connected or not).

I didn't know it was using TCP, I have protocols set to 'Automatic'.

Thanks.

Posted ... (edited)

Sorry, my mistake, I think it was set to TCP when I captured the log. (I've been trying many different settings to see if I can get the latencies to appear).

Edited ... by frank64
Inaccurate info provided by me

2 hours ago, frank64 said:

Sorry, my mistake, I think it was set to TCP when I captured the log. (I've been trying many different settings to see if I can get the latencies to appear).

Yes, that makes more sense. If it was set to automatic, both of those entries wouldn't be there. :)

Can you please backup the default.profile file somewhere, then delete it from the config directory? Then try connecting with all the default settings and see if the latency tests are there.

Hi Giganerd,

I tried that again this morning (deleted the profile, uninstalled and re-installed Eddie), and tried again now (to confirm I'm not going mad).

To my surprise, it was just the same (no latency and score).

In addition, I've confirmed the issue on another debian machine with a Luks encrypted drive.

Interesting!

1 hour ago, frank64 said:

In addition, I've confirmed the issue on another debian machine with a Luks encrypted drive.

Was this machine in the same network? Can you try another?
Don't really believe it to be anything related to encrypted storage, to be honest; most of my money is on the network. But, I can try a quick reproduction if you provide a few steps. Especially, which image did you use and how did you partition the drive?

Its an up-to date debian stable machine, the closest iso that is freely available now is https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/10.3.0/amd64/iso-dvd/debian-10.3.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso

Re partitioning, it is non-UEFI, non-LVM, just 3 normal, old-school primary partitions. Unencrypted boot, encrypted root, encrypted swap.

The only reason I mentioned encryption, is I do have yet another debian stable machine (that's unencrypted), and that works ok (no issues), and on the same network.

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce your observation. Latency is showing. I created the mentioned ISO using jigdo and a VM with 4 CPU, 4G RAM, 20G HDD using virt-manager. Installed Debian with three primary partitions, see screenshot.
1103723380_Screenshot_Debian10_2020-05-09_191154.thumb.png.611992829ea88f576fa1c08eab554ac0.png

Thanks for taking the time to do that, it's much appreciated.

I'm not sure where to go from here. It's not that big a deal I suppose, since the VPN seems to work ok.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Are there any other noteworthy differences between the encrypted and unencrypted hosts you can think of? Software, firewalls, general configuration?

Nothing immediately springs to mind, but I'll carry on thinking about it. I've already tried it with iptables and ufw removed.

Hi giganerd,

I can report success! Yesterday, many (105) package updates became available for debian.

This morning I applied them all to one of the debian machines that was problematic. To my surprise, it fixed eddie, I was able to see latencies and scores.

Not satisfied, with it with 'just' working, I had to find which package upgrade had fixed it. It took a while, but the package was 'iputils-ping'.

I've applied the updates to the other problematic machine, and that is now fine as well.

Many thanks for your suggestions and time, we got there in the end.

All the best, cheers!

Can you please post the history "entry" in /var/log/apt/history.log? I mean, the one call of apt(-get) which fixed it?

Start-Date: 2020-05-10  09:26:49
Commandline: /usr/sbin/synaptic
Requested-By: ******* (1000)
Upgrade: iputils-ping:amd64 (3:20180629-2, 3:20180629-2+deb10u1)
End-Date: 2020-05-10  09:26:50