Not connected, Your IP: 18.212.102.174

Mac user - Hi, just setting up another computer (laptop) and just installed Eddie. I notice the one i downloaded is different and newer than the one on my desktop. Does it not auto update? If not, what's the best way to stay in tune with latest updates when they are released? Is there a way to sign up for email updates or similar?

Anyway.... question......

In the newer one the "General" pane of preferences has a new option called "Profile data protection". What is this please? It defaults to no password but if more secure to use it then I will, just need to know what it's doing please?

47 minutes ago, Terry Stanford said:

Does it not auto update?

Not by itself. There is a setting for notifications in Preferences, though, allowing you to choose the update channel.

47 minutes ago, Terry Stanford said:

Is there a way to sign up for email updates or similar?

There's a RSS feed for all threads created in the Announcements forum. That's where new beta and stable news are posted usually.
There's also a newsletter feature in the forums software, but I don't know if it does anything. Probably not.
As a third option, a user on Reddit created a Telegram channel "mirroring" the Announcements RSS feed.

49 minutes ago, Terry Stanford said:

In the newer one the "General" pane of preferences has a new option called "Profile data protection". What is this please? It defaults to no password but if more secure to use it then I will, just need to know what it's doing please?

Eddie is saving its settings in a file called default.profile, the path is in your logs. Access to that file can be protected with whatever you set here. The file is already unreadable per se, so your credentials for example are safe. In earlier versions you'd see your username and password there in plaintext.
If you've used Eddie for Android, the concept of the Master Password there is similar.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Thanks for the reply.

No I haven't used Eddie for Android. I am using PIA as I had an old account to run down in there. I take it Eddie is way more secure than PIA? (the app i mean)? I might swap, only just started using an android device so i am still setting it up, its not in daily use yet. I would be grateful to hear of the advantages of Eddie over PIA's app, I am sure there are a few :)

Major problem, and I had this before on the older version but somehow fixed it, can't remember how. I have installed Eddie on macbook. I set the network lock up so it should be protecting me. I just rebooted and the machine was connected to the web, before Eddie started running (it was waiting for password to run, hence why I hate the password option but I know it's more secure that way, unless you factor in the fact I get exposed until it runs!)

I can't work out what settings take care of this .How do i block ALL traffic outside the VPN, even when Eddie isn't running? I have the mode set to "Automatic" (default), maybe I should use Mac PF (whatever that is :) ). Grateful if you could confirm please, I really REALLY want to LOCK the connections completely so I can only connect via AirVPN. thanks

1 hour ago, Terry Stanford said:

I would be grateful to hear of the advantages of Eddie over PIA's app, I am sure there are a few

I didn't test the PIA app, so no input from me here. From an ideological point of view Eddie is open source while PIA seems not, which is a yellow flag for me.

1 hour ago, Terry Stanford said:

How do i block ALL traffic outside the VPN, even when Eddie isn't running? I have the mode set to "Automatic" (default), maybe I should use Mac PF (whatever that is :) ).

Eddie disengages NetLock when it's closed. But since NetLock is just a bunch of firewall rules preventing everything from talking except for when it's bound for an AirVPN server IP (which is the case when you're connected, all traffic is routed there) you can create your own NetLock with the very PF you mention since it's a firewall (PF = Packet Filter = description of a firewall :)).

hi GN - thanks for the reply. 

However I am still not sure how to lock down the network. I selected Mac PF in the "mode" in Eddie preferences. Then I saved and restarted. It still did the same thing. Please don't tell me I have to write some code, I am not very technically gifted!

I basically want ALL traffic blocked UNLESS Eddie connected to VPN. I tested and I can get on the web until I log into Eddie. I tried adding it to startup items so it runs automatically, no difference, and in fact this new version of Eddie is worse in one way..... on Mac OS High Sierra for some reason it just sits there in the dock, not showing anything on the main screen until clicked, only then does it offer the login box. This means the network is wide open after every reboot until I log Eddie in, and I can't work like this. Please could you advise how to lock it down fully. I am sure I did this on my desktop iMac because it locked everything fully until Eddie connected which was nice :). However I have no clue how I did it, and I can't compare the settings because I upgraded Eddie on that machine too unglucklicherweise ;)

2 hours ago, harryhoudini said:

However I am still not sure how to lock down the network. I selected Mac PF in the "mode" in Eddie preferences. Then I saved and restarted. It still did the same thing. Please don't tell me I have to write some code, I am not very technically gifted!

NetLock only works with Eddie launched. It is not engaged if you start your Mac.
And yes, it means tinkering a bit with pf, but maybe someone here can provide you with something you can use.

Probably reading it the first time that anyone abbreviates my username as "GN". :D

Thanks. But that's really confusing. I have been working like that (lock fully working outside of Eddie)) for many months on my desktop machine. Now I have bloody updated it I can't even try to investigate how I did it!
I would be really grateful if someone could please suggest how this was achieved, I am sure you guys on this forum helped me do it before. I don't know what "Mac PF" mode does, as it hasn't changed any behaviour that I can see here. 

PLEASE someone help me prevent IP exposure and block all traffic even when Eddie is not running.. :D

14 hours ago, harryhoudini said:

Thanks. But that's really confusing. I have been working like that (lock fully working outside of Eddie)) for many months on my desktop machine. Now I have bloody updated it I can't even try to investigate how I did it!

Easy: It was a bug. :D

No. i had chats on this forum before and was guided I am sure. I really can't believe people are happy with this. My machine is connected by ethernet. I turn it off at night (but even if I don't, it shuts itself down due to a hardware issue). So in the morning I turn it back on, and it's totally exposed to my ISP until i sit down and log Eddie in. PLEASE can someone advise me on a fix, or at least any kind of workaround. The only option I have is to pull my connection out which I used to do but it's hard to get to now and I should be able to find a way to block my computer connecting outside the VPN, surely?

@harryhoudini

Hello!

You can achieve what you want in a minute or so. While Eddie is NOT running configure your firewall to block all traffic to the Internet. Make sure to allow traffic to and from localhost to avoid possible malfunction, and consider your local network too.

When you run Eddie, activating Network Lock will also allow communications with Air infrastructure. When you shut down Eddie, the traffic to the Internet will be blocked again.

Kind regards

thanks very much, but I don't have as much knowledge as you seem to think!!

On Mac, how do i "configure firewall"? I have it turned on in preferences, but it's just either on or off, I don't know how (of even if you can) set it to block all traffic to the internet. Do you have any idea how to do that by any chance?

I also dont know what "Air infrastructure" is. If you mean cloud type things, I don't use ANY of those, especially not iCloud.

Hoping you can point me in the right direction. I really need to lock down my connections to Air and nothing outside. OH, HAHAHAHA. Maybe that's what Air infrastructure is. duh, sorry! Yes it makes sense now, as I am using a mac i thought it was an Apple term :D sorry!

PS - I have two machines with this same problem/request as I just upgraded Eddie on the other one too.

Also - if I somehow tell my machine to block all incoming and outgoing connections, how will eddie 'get around' that?

I had this working perfectly in older version of Eddie, and I never had to do anything with firewall stuff. Hence why I know nothing about it!  I have a feeling my Eddie settings (Mac PF) took care of it. If I disconnected Eddie from the VPN, nothing would connect, which was great!

Sorry, PPS - I  don't have Eddie set to auto connect at startup, but I do have it set to autorun. I could set it to auto connect, but there will still be a few seconds (slowish machine) where Apple connections will take place outside the VPN, and that's my main 'risk' which concerns me.