Not connected, Your IP: 18.232.66.188
ecabdf

Is there anything similar to smartdnsproxy we can use?

Hi!

I need your help. :)
I use AirVPN only on my desktop PC, since my router isn't powerful enough for it. That's working fine.

But since with the new self-isolation thingy going on, I'd like to use streaming services with full bandwidth (and not with EU limited).
So, the question is that is there a way to achieve this on TV and on a Fire TV Stick 4K (e.g. with modifying only DNS entries)?

Thanks!

Depends on the TV. The way I hear it, Eddie is available on and compatible with both Android TV and Fire TV (+Stick). For specifics I'd like to refer to the forums search, there are some threads about each in the past.

Keep in mind though that some streaming services like Netflix are not officially supported any longer because it's very difficult to find a server which works with it. Some threads also keep coming up now and then about BBC iPlayer and a bit about Prime Video. Then, we've no reports on all the new streaming services which came out this year yet, namely Disney+ and Apple TV+. We would appreciate a report from you which service you are using and how well it works with AirVPN.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Thanks for the reply.
So there's no easy "only DNS set" in the devices apart from using the VPN service?
Maybe it'd be a good idea to consider :)

The TV is LG B8, meaning WebOS. There's Netflix and Amazon on TV, Disney+ and AppleTV+ on the fire stick.

I'll take a look on Fire TV.
But the big concern is whether the device (TV, Fire stick) is powerful enough to handle the VPN connection by itself with 30 Mbps.

1 hour ago, ecabdf said:

So there's no easy "only DNS set" in the devices apart from using the VPN service?

No. AirDNS only works inside the VPN, therefore, you must connect to AirVPN to use AirDNS features…

1 hour ago, ecabdf said:

Maybe it'd be a good idea to consider :)

… therefore, no. :)

1 hour ago, ecabdf said:
But the big concern is whether the device (TV, Fire stick) is powerful enough to handle the VPN connection by itself with 30 Mbps.

Should be. I mean, it's "only" streaming.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

@ecabdf

Hello!

Yes, even our 1st gen, very old FireStick can stream HD with no problems even with OpenVPN on AES-256 - and you have also the option to gain more performance with CHACHA20-POLY1305. We see that the LG B8 features a CPU that's at least as powerful as the 2nd generation Firestick, so no problems for it as well.

Kind regards

22 hours ago, Staff said:
@ecabdf
Yes, even our 1st gen, very old FireStick can stream HD with no problems even with OpenVPN on AES-256 - and you have also the option to gain more performance with CHACHA20-POLY1305. We see that the LG B8 features a CPU that's at least as powerful as the 2nd generation Firestick, so no problems for it as well.

Thanks, it sounds good.
I'm waiting for an ethernet adapter for the Fire stick 4k, I'll try it out when it's arrived.

But about the LG B8: there's no "Eddie" app in the LG Store.
Note that LG B8 doesn't have android but WebOS.

So, I managed to try out (apart from Netflix) on the Fire TV Stick 4k:
only AppleTV+ works with US servers. Although I'm not sure about the increased bandwidth, because input video bitrate never went above 15000 on the built-in OSD. I'll try to roughly "measure" it with Eddie's built-in counter.

The rest don't work:
- Amazon: main menu works (including previews!), but when you try to stream content then it doesn't
- Disney+: it couldn't even get to main menu, a message said that the service isn't available in that region, plus it deleted all the account info :)