Not connected, Your IP: 107.23.157.16

Hi All
First, my heart goes out to the people of Italy and around the world. I wish you all well.

Ubuntu 18.04
Gnome desktop

I read here that Eddie doesn't require a password when starting up. Every time I start Eddie it asks for a password before it loads. I enter the system password and Eddie will start as normal. Eddie saves my account username and password as I see it when it opens.

Question: How would I set Eddie to start on my desktop without requiring entering my system password.
Is this an Openvpn thing? If so how would I configure Openvpn to stop the password prompt?

Thank you and stay safe everyone.

In Preferences > General, set Don't ask elevation every run.
If you don't see it, in Advanced tab, enable Expert mode.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Thank you giganerd
but there is no such setting under general or advanced or in expert mode. I check expert mode box and nothing changes. Perhaps I should use an earlier version of Eddie.
I'm much better and efficient using CLI, network manager and cert files. This is one of the few times I use Eddie that's why I sound like a noob :)

2 hours ago, inradius said:

Perhaps I should use an earlier version of Eddie.

Perhaps you should update to 2.18.9 first. ;)

I am using the latest stable release as the title of the post states.

Posted ... (edited)
19 hours ago, inradius said:

Perhaps I should use an earlier version of Eddie.

It was introduced at some beta release between the last 2.16.3 and the current 2.18.9 stable, so an earlier release doesn't help.

Well, I've got it, see this:
Screenshot_20200410_155432.thumb.png.79be1765f27cf076cb263ee7448130a6.png Edited ... by giganerd
typo

Hm, curious. I've been trying to find something about the prerequisites for this, but no.
Anyway, the feature is there since 2.18.5:If you want to set it up manually, here's the dev's post about it. It's what Eddie creates as well:

After trying many different things to get Eddie to run properly, I think I will be not using Eddie anymore. Besides this root privilege issue, the UI can't seem to render fonts properly, it freezes to an empty UI when I try to close it... it may be my system configuration but it's a up to date Ubuntu installation that gives me no other problems.
There appears to be an above average problem with Eddie on many Linux systems. I believe Eddie was designed to run better on Windows. I will not nor ever will run Windows.
I bought a 2 year subscription and will be contacting Airvpn for a refund if possible.

Thank you again for your help giganerd.

1 hour ago, inradius said:

The commands appear to be dead

They're fine, you simply misused cURL a little. You need to silence STDERR with -s and enable redirects if HTTP 30x codes are returned (which is true if you request HTTP, you'll get a 304 and will be redirected to HTTPS). Also, writing to systemd service file location requires privileges, at least for me:

sudo curl -sL "http://eddie.website/temp/eddie-elevated.service" > /usr/lib/systemd/system/eddie-elevated.service

it may be my system configuration but it's a up to date Ubuntu installation that gives me no other problems.

Which doesn't mean you are using the newest package versions. Ubuntu uses a fixed release cycle, so packages in the releases will get updated only for bugfixing, for security (through another repository) or to keep a certain minor release updated, like in PHP. PHP is a nice example: In 18.04 it will always stay at 7.3.x because the version was 7.3.x at 18.04's release, but it gets updates in the 7.3 branch. The newest version, though, is 7.4.4.
The same goes for the Mono framework which Eddie uses. If you want to get the newest version for this and see if it fixes the UI issues, consider adding a repository for it to /etc/apt/sources.list.d. Instructions are on the website of the Mono project.

There appears to be an above average problem with Eddie on many Linux systems. I believe Eddie was designed to run better on Windows. I will not nor ever will run Windows.

Eddie is written in C#, a Microsoft language; its natural habitat is therefore Microsoft. It was criticized often enough to be like that; it runs well on .NET and it creates a huge unsettling dependency on Mono on all other platforms. Even Android depended on MonoDroid in the past. And yes, you are right, it really doesn't feel smooth on Linux.
Though I can't agree with "above average problem with Eddie on many Linux systems". Technically it works quite well, it's the UI that gives us the creeps.

I bought a 2 year subscription and will be contacting Airvpn for a refund if possible.

Why, though? You are not bound to using Eddie with AirVPN. Use OpenVPN directly, through your network manager or even qomui. Maybe do some experiment in your network. Ask away if you have questions, the community is glad to help.

@inradius give Hummingbird a try without Eddie.  It still doesn't have a GUI, but works fairly well and doesn't rely on Mono.  The speeds are also better.  I run it on Linux Mint 19.3 which is based on Ubuntu 18.04.

11 hours ago, giganerd said:

Eddie is written in C#, a Microsoft language; its natural habitat is therefore Microsoft. It was criticized often enough to be like that; it runs well on .NET and it creates a huge unsettling dependency on Mono on all other platforms. Even Android depended on MonoDroid in the past. And yes, you are right, it really doesn't feel smooth on Linux.

Hello!

We would like to remind everybody that:
  • starting from version 2.18, only Eddie Desktop edition GUI is written in C# - all the backend is written in C++ (including Windows edition)
  • Linux and Mac users who don't want to have to do anything with Mono can run Hummingbird which is tiny, fast, free and open source software, using OpenVPN3-AirVPN library
  • according to our roadmap we will release (planned within April 2020) a daemon for Linux and macOS written in C++ and based on OpenVPN3-AirVPN library
  • the mentioned daemon will be fully integrated with AirVPN and documented to provide the knowledge to write a client for it. AirVPN will release a command line client and a Qt based client with a full featured GUI
  • Due to its instability and psycho design in Android, Mono was abandoned before first Eddie Android edition stable version was released. More precisely Mono was disavowed by 1.0 RC 5.
Changelog 1.0 RC 5 (VC 8) - Release date: 21 September 2018 by ProMIND

- [ProMIND] Complete porting and rewrite in Java language. As for mono, C#, libmonosgen and libmonodroid: "so long, and thanks for all the fish"

Kind regards