Not connected, Your IP: 34.230.35.103
Staff

Eddie Desktop 2.19beta released

At present on my Windows 10 PC I am running the 2.18.9 version of AirVPN with the OpenVPN 2.5 git 1607 version and the Wintun TAP Windows 9.24.2 adapter and all is well in fact better than well as the Wintun adapter has more than doubled my download speed. Ever since beginning with AirVPN around 5-6 yrs ago I like to keep up to date and have always installed the experimental versions after checking that they worked fine for other players. I see that there is a v 2.19.2 version of AirVPN available and also an Open VPN gui update to v11.15.0.0  Previously when updating AirVPN I just downloaded it from the experimental option here and did a clean install and the TAP adapter usually installed after a restart of my OS, but as I had to install the OpenVPN v 2.5 in order to use the Wintun adapter for v2.18.9 do I need to follow a different procedure or should I just instal v2.19.2 as I have previously done as I don't want to risk losing my upgraded download speed?.

@bluesjunior

According to your report you can safely stay with Eddie 2.18.9. Since  you are just fine with 2.18.9 you have no real incentive to start beta testing
as there is no performance improvement with 2.19.2.

Check anyway the bug fixes on the changelog. Should one of those bugs become a problem for you at any time, then you should consider to upgrade.

Kind regards

I have an odd problem running 2.19.2 with Wintun on Windows 10.  When I cold boot my PC the Eddie Elevation Service doesn't start, so the client hangs at the splash screen with the message about connecting to the service.  If I try to start the service manually from services.msc then the Windows error message pops up about the service "...started and then stopped.  Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs".  Everything else works ok, and there are no suspicious event log messages.

The weird part is that if I restart rather than cold boot, everything is fine.  Any ideas before I revert back to 2.18?

2 hours ago, X7iGmXYQBrnz said:

Any ideas before I revert back to 2.18?

Someone, somewhere on the forums suggested to disable Fast Startup.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I updated to 2.18.9 from the latest stable version with which i never had a problem. I'm on Win 10.
As soon as i started the new version it stuck on Ipv6 check, so i switched on WAN Ipv6 on the Access Data/Internet Connection on my router which i assume helps with Ipv6 stuff (never had to worry about this setting before). That surprisingly solved the problem.
Then i switched off the pc and i switched it on again today. Oddly i found myself connected to a vpn server without actually starting Eddie. (i realized that looking up at my ip)
I noticed there was Eddie-Service-Elevated.exe in execution in Activity Manager, which i don't know what is for, i also noticed OpenVpn Daemon was in execution; so i ran Eddie Ui from the desktop link and the splash screen stucked, i terminated the application and tried again, and this time it showed the Unable to obtain elevated privileges, Unable to start warning window.
So i disabled Fast StartUp and deleted the AppData\Local\Eddie\default.profile file as suggested, downloaded the latest version 2.19.2 because i saw in the changelog this [bugfix] - Special condition elevation checks (may resolve "Unable to start (no-socket)" issues). , i ran it and it seems to work fine for now.
Any idea what happened?

@Staff

A feature suggestion, it would be nice to be able to see what datacenter/provider a server is hosted in on the server list.

One minor change please - can the tooltip on the systray icon show the connection status ("Connecting to...") like previous versions, rather than the UL/DL speed.  It saves me opening the GUI while I wait impatiently for it to connect at startup.

on linux mint 19.3 cinnamon, i had no issues installing and running this version. however, the issue i reported here, still persists. i then reinstalled version 2.18.9, and after manually launching it, the latency tests ran fine. i then rebooted my machine, and there the problem was again. so, it seems that the problem only occurs when eddie is set to launch and connect automatically after booting.
edit: in the log, the test with the beta-version starts at 13:02 o'clock.

eddie_2020-06-13.log

Version 2.19.3 (Tue, 16 Jun 2020 14:36:31 +0000)

• [bugfix] Windows NSIS, vc_redist.exe, from '/q' to '/install /passive /norestart'.
  • [bugfix] Windows, System Report rare hang if IPv6 not available
  • [bugfix] macOS, CLI edition error at boot in Portable Mono
  • [bugfix] macOS, Notarization of packages
  • [bugfix] macOS; "Unable to obtain elevated privileges (required): Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
  • [bugfix] Linux, modprobe issue with zstd
  • [new] Linux, new aarch64 build (for Raspberry OS 64 bit beta)
  • [new] macOS, CLI portable without Mono
  • [change] Bundled with latest OpenVPN, Hummingbird, stunnel
  • [change] Minor UI fixes, font size in some linux distro, path normalization etc.

Other feedback is under investigation, please have patience. Thx.

Arch Linux package will be available as soon as possible.
Direct APT repository for new aarch64 doesn't work yet, issue will be fixed as soon as possible.

I just tried 2.19.3 (Catalina Version) on macOS 10.15.5 - it failed to open, only message I got was "Eddie is broken"
I'm back on 2.19.2 which runs

The Catalina 2.19.3 update was trouble free here (just got a new Mac mini w/10.15.5 last Thursday). Connected to Groombridge as I type and its smooth sailing!

Posted ... (edited)

@Staff
Can't download Eddie 2.19.3 for MacOS. Please fix this.
Thanks

Edit:
Problem solved. Nevermind.

Edited ... by Silversoul247
Problem solved

On 6/25/2020 at 12:02 AM, Silversoul247 said:

@Staff
Thanks

Edit:

Hi, how did you solve it? If I hit "Download" (MacOS) nothing happens or it just loads a html file.

4 hours ago, korsko said:

Hi, how did you solve it? If I hit "Download" (MacOS) nothing happens or it just loads a html file.
Hello.
After you select experimental you have to choose between macOS Catalina or macOS pre-Catalina. Please take a look at the attached photo.
Regards
2004468008_Eddie2-19-3MacOS.thumb.jpg.8f83418cb41b8b022af034fdbc24c68b.jpg

28 minutes ago, Silversoul247 said:
Hello.
After you select experimental you have to choose between macOS Catalina or macOS pre-Catalina. Please take a look at the attached photo.
Regards
2004468008_Eddie2-19-3MacOS.thumb.jpg.8f83418cb41b8b022af034fdbc24c68b.jpg

Thanks a lot!!!

Hi,

I'm running Eddie 2.19.3 beta on Windows 10 64 bit. All seems to be good, except after some amount of time the speed display becomes frozen in both the Overview display panel and the Speed display panel. Restarting Eddie makes it work again, but it always freezes later. Apart from the frozen speed display, Eddie seems to run fine. This was also happening in 2.19.2. I can supply logs if needed.

On 6/23/2020 at 5:14 PM, Maggie144 said:

I just tried 2.19.3 (Catalina Version) on macOS 10.15.5 - it failed to open, only message I got was "Eddie is broken"
I'm back on 2.19.2 which runs

Can you provide the exact message error?

During development, sometimes we encounter a mystic "error -47", but it can't be related to Eddie because it disappears with a reboot. Still under investigation.

On 6/25/2020 at 12:02 AM, Silversoul247 said:

@Staff
Thanks

Edit:

Same as above, when you reboot does the issue disappear? Thx

On 6/27/2020 at 12:57 AM, boblinthewild said:

Hi,

I'm running Eddie 2.19.3 beta on Windows 10 64 bit. All seems to be good, except after some amount of time the speed display becomes frozen in both the Overview display panel and the Speed display panel. Restarting Eddie makes it work again, but it always freezes later. Apart from the frozen speed display, Eddie seems to run fine. This was also happening in 2.19.2. I can supply logs if needed.

Yes thanks, if it is reproducible, enable in Preferences -> Logs both 'Log Debug' and 'Log on File'. Here or open a ticket if you prefer, thanks.

On 5/28/2020 at 8:54 PM, X7iGmXYQBrnz said:

One minor change please - can the tooltip on the systray icon show the connection status ("Connecting to...") like previous versions, rather than the UL/DL speed.  It saves me opening the GUI while I wait impatiently for it to connect at startup.

This was an already resolved bug, does it still occur in 2.19.3?

On 7/1/2020 at 4:52 PM, Clodo said:

Can you provide the exact message error?

During development, sometimes we encounter a mystic "error -47", but it can't be related to Eddie because it disappears with a reboot. Still under investigation.

Same as above, when you reboot does the issue disappear? Thx
It is just a small window that pops up with one option - to klick "ok". All it says is ""Eddie" is broken and can not be opened - downloaded with Brave at hh:mm"

Hello,
download of windows portable version for 2.19.3 is not available.
Will you release it soon or you will relase directly the 2.19.4 version?

Version 2.19.4 (Mon, 06 Jul 2020 13:17:19 +0000)

• [bugfix] Linux, Font/UI issue in some distribution (Manjaro)
  • [bugfix] Linux, modprobe issue with zstd
  • [change] If Netlock fails to activate, stop autoconnect.