Not connected, Your IP: 3.230.1.23
Staff

Eddie 2.18.9 Desktop released

On 4/7/2020 at 6:50 AM, debu said:

Same problem as BengChai above on Win7 32 bit machine from time to time but especially when trying to re-connect after waking up from sleep condition.

Seem to have resolved the problem by, in addition to BengChai's suggestion:

Preferences > Networking > Layer IPv6 > Outside tunnel

Hope this hasn't comprised security/privacy. Assume not if connections are limited to IPv4 only.  Any advice gratefully received.
My problem was rectified for about 24 hours. Since then, nothing I have done seems to rectify my problem. All suggestions welcomed. 

Two issues to report thus far.

Eddie 2.18.9 gets stuck on Connect with daemon for system privileges every time I boot my machine. If I reboot the system it loads and works fine.

Settings > General is set up like this:

• Connect at startup (tick)
  • Activate network lock at startup (tick)
  • Start with system (tick)
  • Don't ask elevation every run (tick)
The second problem is that TAP Windows Adapter causes frequent random disconnects (every 15 minutes on average). After lots of research to isolate the cause of these drops I tried to clean-install Eddie and TAP several times, but it got me nowhere. Someone suggested to use TAP 9.9.2_3 and it did indeed fix the disconnects. However I had to disable TAP driver upgrade in Eddie settings to do that, and I needed some workarounds to actually prevent Eddie from upgrading the TAP driver. Eventually I switched to wintun and everything has been working fine ever since: a very smooth driver.

The wintun experiment isn't just successful for me, but it's the only way to make Eddie work. I understand that wintun is still beta, but you should really consider to make it a selectable option in the install wizard of the next stable release. TAP is just as beta, considering all the instability that it causes.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro (1909)

Hello.

I have the same issue of infinite loop of tapctl trying to install tap0901 unsuccessfully.
I tried every solution proposed in this thread, none works !
For info, the error message says : "VPN Network Adapter not found, Install fail (0901) - Stack:   at Eddie.Platform.Windows.Platform.EnsureDriverAndAdapterAvailable(String driver) at Eddie.Core.Threads.Session.OnRun()" , see image below.

Untitled-x1.jpg.6dbfcd27c6ccd4825d44d55ddc6939fe.jpg

Is there a way to get the old version that was used before Eddie was launched, as, obviously, this new product is far from being mature.
I'm deeply sorry, I'm not an computer scientist, I need something that works without having to perform tweaks and workarounds I simply can't (even barely) understand !

Sorry for the inconvenience and Many Thanks in advance.
Al.

What about THIS bug:

I have tried Eddie 2.18.9, 2.19 beta and still we are in the exact same situation; No fixes, no communication, nothing ...

On 4/6/2020 at 5:20 PM, debu said:

Same problem as BengChai above on Win7 32 bit machine from time to time but especially when trying to re-connect after waking up from sleep condition.

Seem to have resolved the problem by, in addition to BengChai's suggestion:

Preferences > Networking > Layer IPv6 > Outside tunnel

Hope this hasn't comprised security/privacy. Assume not if connections are limited to IPv4 only.  Any advice gratefully received.
My problem was rectified for about 24 hours. Since then, nothing I have done seems to rectify my problem. All suggestions welcomed. 

BengChai, since my last post changed my Layer IPv6 setting from Outside tunnel to Blocked as I was worried about the security/privacy implications of the Outside tunnel setting. 

Haven't had any problems but am very much out of my depth so, like you, would welcome advice from someone knowledgeable.

Posted ... (edited)

The first problem I encountered with this new version after a few days of testing:

I have set Eddie to start when my system boots.
After I booted up my system, the Eddie splash screen appeared for at least a minute and then I got the following error message:
IXM4IN.png

Sadly, Eddie shut down immediately after I clicked "ok" so I couldn't save any system logs. I'll add the log from the first time I started Eddie after this crash.

I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB and the latest OpenVPN with wintun support.
(Wintun more than doubled my speed by the way! How awesome is that?!)

System log: https://zerobin.net/?29ce1863f6e8dec5#wR8q3A7chBEkM2c6ayXwC2YW5V6zCss/llV+RVqcf7w=

Edited ... by pentraitor

MS Windows User

What I've done in the past with new Eddie beta versions was to completely uninstall the previous version, delete all related folders and then install the new version.

For this new version, I also uninstalled TAP from Control Panel > Programs and Features.

What I found after installing the new Eddie is that TAP is not found listed in Programs and Features any longer.

Eddie 2.18.9 is running fine with no issue.

Posted ... (edited)

i have issue with ping test of the server, out of sudden it stopped working
i did fully clean install then it worked now it stopped again.

please advise?

edit: the issue seems to be caused by whitelisting servers. after removing the whitelisting it worked again. 

Edited ... by yah_1991

Hi guys,

Works on my PC fine as normal, but it didn't straight away. It never does after an update, unfortunately.
If the above doesn't help anyone else, try the following:

Method 1:

Preferences>Networking:

Layer ipv4: inside tunnel must be supported.

Switch to block if issue is detected ticked on.

Layer ipv6 blocked.

switch to block switched on and ticked.

Internet protocol used: ipv4 only

Interface used for connection: Automatic. 
TCP/UDP send buffer size/receive buffer size: Automatic for both.

Or:

Method 2:

Preferences>Networking:

Layer ipv4: inside tunnel must be supported.

Switch to block if issue is detected ticked on.

Layer ipv6 inside tunnel must be supported.

switch to block if issue is detected switched on and ticked.

Internet protocol used for connection: ipv4, IPv6

Interface used for connection: Automatic. TCP/UDP send buffer size/receive buffer size: Automatic for both.

Both methods (1 & 2) checked and worked for me, but only one of them may work for you.
Hope that helps others in similar circumstances.

Kind regards

You're welcome.

I had problems with speed after the update and a AirVPN staff member gave the following advice.
It is a copy and paste of his/her response:

"If After the upgrade your speeds are slower than before on Windows 10:

New Eddie upgraded the tun/tap driver and maybe it is the cause of the issue you experience. Can you please test the wintun driver? It has been reported as providing higher performance and increased reliability in Windows systems.

1) Install OpenVPN 2.5 tech preview with wintun driver. You can download it from here:
https://openvpn.net/download/openvpn-2-5_git-wintun-technology-preview/

2) Configure Eddie to run the new OpenVPN you have installed:

• from Eddie's main window open "Preferences" > "Advanced"
  • in "OpenVPN custom path" select the proper OpenVPN binary file you have installed in point 1, through the file requester
  • click "Save"

3) Configure Eddie to send a directive to OpenVPN to use the wintun driver:
  • open "Preferences" > "OVPN Directives"
  • in the directives field add the following line:

windows-driver wintun
    (press ENTER at the end of the line)
  • click "Save"

Test again connections to AirVPN servers via Eddie."

I personally deleted the TAP 9 adapter, reinstalled and rebooted the system as I was awaiting a response. That fixed the problem for me. I have not personally tried the above suggestion.

Sorry that it didn't work for you or doesn't work at all.
I should have made clear that my post above yours was a copy and paste to a response I received from AirVPN staff.

New response:

Hello!
Yes, C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\bin\openvpn.exe - you can see bin as a subdir of OpenVPN directory.

So that may work for you, unless you are saying there is no way around it all. Just make sure the right file is selected and that the win-tun driver is installed first.

I personally deleted the TAP 9 adapter, reinstalled the current version of the adapter and rebooted the system as I was awaiting a response from the staff.
That fixed the problem for me. So I have not personally tried the above suggestion, as of yet, but thought that advice may help others.
I will consider it when Eddie 2.19 is released in a stable form.
I hope they include the wintun driver in that install package as standard, so when updating, we can choose win-tun over the TAP 9 to work with Eddie, rather than mess with the directives, which may seem more daunting of a task for most of us.

I amended my last post to reflect the advice of the staff more clearly.

OPVN directives ignored.

On Debian Buster, in eddie-ui preferences:

OPVN directives external files: /tmp/directives_test
Append Custom directives

/tmp/directives_test

~~~
script-security 2
up /usr/local/bin/up.sh
down /usr/local/bin/down.sh
~~~

/usr/local/bin/up.sh

~~~
#!/bin/bash

echo "Running up.sh"

echo "Hello world" > /tmp/up.log
~~~

/usr/local/bin/down.sh

~~~
#!/bin/bash

echo "Running down.sh"

echo "Hello world" > /tmp/down.log
~~~

Run eddie-ui version 2.18.9: there aren't messages from echo command in eddie-ui's log and /tmp/up.log, /tmp/down.log are missing.

New fresh install.

Run eddie-ui old stable version 2.16.3 (same options). In eddie-ui's log there are the messages from echo command and /tmp/up.log, /tmp/down.log are ok.

Thanks for the info Scooby. I'm not really seeing any speed problems thankfully. Getting 33Mb down on a 40Mb connection which is pretty normal for me.

You're welcome, pal.
That Staff recommendation post is just for those that might struggle with speed after the update. I thought it best to include their response here to minimize other people contacting them when the problem might be similar.
If you're fine, then no point messing with the win-tun driver. I didn't change it, either.
As they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." 😁

@scooby0786: thanks for the posts

I managed to get Eddie 2.19.1 beta running w/ OpenVPN wintun driver and speed improved from 60-80 Mbit to 160-170 Mbit (in a quick test, single Nvidia driver file download) on Win 10 LTSC hardwired to ethernet card. Ipleak reports no leaks, nice improvement for Windows

I'm on a Gigabit connection and max dl speed I managed to get so far via AirVPN was 220-230 Mbit on Linux.

If there is any other way to get closer to the theoretical VPN dl limit, please advise.

10 hours ago, pfolk said:

If there is any other way to get closer to the theoretical VPN dl limit, please advise.

Try the following few suggestions:

1: If you're getting full speeds without Eddie, then either use a different server, such as in the Netherlands. Switch to W-Fi, as I find with Eddie that my Wi-Fi is usually faster over Ethernet. Strangely.
2: Try changing stuff in your router settings. In the Firewall section of your router, make sure settings like "PPTP" and "Multicast Pass through" are ticked, if not already done so. Depending on your router and ISP provider, there may be some other settings that you can change. Including using different ports. There may be some forum posts here about your ISP and good router settings.

My initial post was quite detailed, but didn't save when i submitted it. I got that picture with clogged pipes. 😒
Hope those two steps help you, somewhat.
Besides what AirStaff already suggested, I really wouldn't know how else I could help. I'd try the router setting option over Wi-Fi.

Also, I'm sure AirStaff suggested not to use the beta version for our main needs. Generally for testing and bug reporting only.
So be careful using that, especially if you torrent a lot.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

11 hours ago, scooby0786 said:

Try the following few suggestions:

1: If you're getting full speeds without Eddie, then either use a different server, such as in the Netherlands. Switch to W-Fi, as I find with Eddie that my Wi-Fi is usually faster over Ethernet. Strangely.
2: Try changing stuff in your router settings. In the Firewall section of your router, make sure settings like "PPTP" and "Multicast Pass through" are ticked, if not already done so. Depending on your router and ISP provider, there may be some other settings that you can change. Including using different ports. There may be some forum posts here about your ISP and good router settings.

My initial post was quite detailed, but didn't save when i submitted it. I got that picture with clogged pipes. 😒
Hope those two steps help you, somewhat.
Besides what AirStaff already suggested, I really wouldn't know how else I could help. I'd try the router setting option over Wi-Fi.

Also, I'm sure AirStaff suggested not to use the beta version for our main needs. Generally for testing and bug reporting only.
So be careful using that, especially if you torrent a lot.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

hah, got the clogged pipes a few times as well - this forum is so strange...

re speed: yeah, I got all of these items set up, but can never break 220-240 Mbit - which I think is the upper limit for a general good connection, see what airvpn staff stated in another thread - I guess we're waiting for multi-core OpenVPN
the maximum performance we could achieve with AES-NI and load balancing on a single server with daemons working on 4 cores has been 1.8 Gbit/s, meaning that a client with no CPU power limitation connected alone on a VPN server with 1 Gbit/s line full duplex (or a 10 Gbit/s line as in our Netherlands and Dallas servers) with "perfect" peering and routing, and when the weakest hop between client and server is stronger than both those client and server, can achieve a theoretical maximum of 1800 / 4 = 550 Mbit/s (because OpenVPN does not scale, it runs exclusively on a single thread of a single core).

In real life with good peering and no CPU bottleneck you can expect the speeds you see reported in real time in the "Top 10 Users speed" in our servers monitor https://airvpn.org/status which means 180-250 Mbit/s, i.e at least 20 times the minimum allocated bandwidth per client we guarantee against overselling in the ToS.

On 4/10/2020 at 8:48 AM, kelkohl said:

Two issues to report thus far.

Eddie 2.18.9 gets stuck on Connect with daemon for system privileges every time I boot my machine. If I reboot the system it loads and works fine.

Settings > General is set up like this:

• Connect at startup (tick)
  • Activate network lock at startup (tick)
  • Start with system (tick)
  • Don't ask elevation every run (tick)
The second problem is that TAP Windows Adapter causes frequent random disconnects (every 15 minutes on average). After lots of research to isolate the cause of these drops I tried to clean-install Eddie and TAP several times, but it got me nowhere. Someone suggested to use TAP 9.9.2_3 and it did indeed fix the disconnects. However I had to disable TAP driver upgrade in Eddie settings to do that, and I needed some workarounds to actually prevent Eddie from upgrading the TAP driver. Eventually I switched to wintun and everything has been working fine ever since: a very smooth driver.

The wintun experiment isn't just successful for me, but it's the only way to make Eddie work. I understand that wintun is still beta, but you should really consider to make it a selectable option in the install wizard of the next stable release. TAP is just as beta, considering all the instability that it causes.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro (1909)

I have good news and bad news to report.

After lots and lots of testing I have identified the reason behind issue #2 (random connection drops): the culpirt was Kaspersky Free antivirus (aka Kaspersky Security Cloud).
As soon as I disabled Kaspersky, Eddie worked like a charm - regardless of TAP Windows Adapter or wintun.

I believe that Kaspersky's processes were conflicting really bad with my encrypted traffic, hence they caused that cumbersome throttling which resulted in sudden loss of speed, random connection drops and poor stability overall.
I moved on to Windows Defender and I'm fine with it.

I have also upgraded to Eddie 2.19.1 and 2.19.2 (beta), but issue #1 is still there. Every single time I boot the computer Eddie will get stuck on Connect with daemon for system privileges. Rebooting the machine will make Eddie auto-start without troubles.

Win 10 Pro 18363, cant get Eddie 2.18.9 to start with Windows.
Ive checked the tick box and its in Windows Startup but I have to run it manually.

I was also getting Connect with daemon for system privileges  error.
I resolved that by elevating to run with Admin privileges.

My other PC, still running 2.13! Works fine.

3 hours ago, Krebbin said:

Win 10 Pro 18363, cant get Eddie 2.18.9 to start with Windows.
Ive checked the tick box and its in Windows Startup but I have to run it manually.

I was also getting Connect with daemon for system privileges  error.
I resolved that by elevating to run with Admin privileges.

Disable Fast Startup.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

10 hours ago, giganerd said:

Disable Fast Startup.

Came here to say that this tip of yours has been working for three days straight now. I had found it in the 2.19 beta thread.
Thanks a lot!