Not connected, Your IP: 44.200.101.170
jayinwww

I can't find the AirVPN app on my smart TV

I can't find the AirVPN app on my smart TV. Can airVPN be used on my smart TV or is it best to set up the VPM from my router?

If it's Android TV, it can be installed directly. If it isn't, some people were successful in configuring certain TV sticks for it.
If your TV has got some proprietary OS without the possibility of installing your own apps for example, probably not.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I use the OpenVPN app from the Play Store to use AirVPN on an Android TV.  I had to move a .ovpn config file to the TV using its USB port, but overall, setup was simple once I figured out the app controls.  Works fine if I remember to disconnect before suspending the TV with the off button.  Suspending while it is running forces a TV reboot when an unsuspend is next attempted.  Netflix is working fine through this arrangement (US servers).

Nothing special about me.  I've seen others mention using the OpenVPN app on Android TVs as well.  (The TV's Play Store does not have an Eddie or AirVPN app.)

@SurprisedItWorks

It's a recognized bug affecting especially Sony TVs. Sony is not fixing it. You would experience the same with Eddie Android edition or any other VPN application, unfortunately.

@Xianders

APK for Android TV should be side loaded, as the Play Store will not make it available to Android TV because Eddie opens airvpn.org web site in some menu , while Amazon Appstore makes it available for Android TV (different evaluations). Here you can find the link to download the apk:
https://airvpn.org/android

Kind regards

5 hours ago, Staff said:

It's a recognized bug affecting especially Sony TVs. Sony is not fixing it. You would experience the same with Eddie Android edition or any other VPN application, unfortunately.

Not with my experience :) Your latest Android app is working great with the latest firmware on my KD-XE9005 Sony TV. Switching the TV off doesn't reboot the TV anymore when turning it on. The app pauses nicely when the TV is off and reconnects automatic when switching on. Your android app is great for selecting a black or white application group of apps, choosing the apps witch can use the VPN or not. The only error I have is when I press the notification settings in your app menu with the remote, then the android app disconnect and I have to login with my master password again. So I have no notifications from the app but doesn't bother me at all. Its working as intended, apart for the notifications. :)

@Kenwell

That's great to know! We reproduced the issue with a Sony Bravia in summer 2019 and we had a document from Sony claiming that it was not considered a bug and no fix was needed because if you don't use a VPN the TV does not reboot (!)

After that we did not have any other Sony TV to test and we did not buy any. Thanks for the information!

Kind regards

On 3/9/2020 at 12:53 PM, Staff said:
@SurprisedItWorks

@Xianders

APK for Android TV should be side loaded, as the Play Store will not make it available to Android TV because Eddie opens airvpn.org web site in some menu , while Amazon Appstore makes it available for Android TV (different evaluations). Here you can find the link to download the apk:
https://airvpn.org/android

Kind regards

Thanks!