Not connected, Your IP: 3.235.243.45
Staff

Hummingbird 1.0.2 released

@monstrocity

OVPN files have no restrictions in any way. Generate the proper file with the Configuration Generator (tick "Advanced Mode" to see all the available connection modes) or just edit your current profile with any text editor and replace the port you have in the remote directive with 41185.

Kind regards

When `^C`'ing hummingbird, it says this:
```
iptables v1.8.4 (legacy): can't initialize iptables table `security': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
ip6tables v1.8.4 (legacy): can't initialize ip6tables table `security': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps ip6tables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
```
I'm running the latest kernel (5.5.3), so I don't see what's wrong. This makes my network unusable until a manual change of iptables.

@83jd0whx38ns

Hello!

What is your exact distribution? We have found the problem for example in Debian unstable, and it's a problem of the distribution with the implementation of  iptables legacy with nftables. If that's your case too, force Hummingbird to use nftables for Network Lock and the problem should get resolved. https://airvpn.org/hummingbird/readme/

Check the instructions and remember to run Hummingbird with the additional option:
--network-lock nftables

Remember that Hummingbird (for a good reason aimed to prevent conflicts) by default prefers iptables-legacy over nftables if both are found in a system. However, if iptables legacy exists but does not provide table 'security' then Network Lock can't work because iptables legacy itself does not work properly.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
AirVPN Support Team

Hey, I was also wondering how to set my own iptables to forward traffic on top of hummingbird's network lock. How can I do that?

10 hours ago, 83jd0whx38ns said:

Hey, I was also wondering how to set my own iptables to forward traffic on top of hummingbird's network lock. How can I do that?

Hello!

You can't, as you don't have iptables currently. Use nftables instead. Proceed only if you exactly know what you're doing, as Network Lock on the fly changes might cause unintended leaks.

Kind regards

@Access everywhere

Please pick freely according to your preferences. Hummingbird is much faster, has a tiny RAM footprint (less than 10 MB), it's based on OpenVPN3-AirVPN library, and does not require Mono, but it lacks a GUI (it will evolve with a daemon and GUI only in the near future) and many features of OpenVPN 2 and Eddie.

Eddie is remarkably features richer (full integration with AirVPN infrastructure, customized routes, customized events, OpenVPN over Tor are just a few of several significant features that Hummingbird totally misses), offers a complete GUI, but it is much slower and has a huge RAM footprint (exceeding 1 GB in Linux for example).

Please note that you can run Hummingbird through Eddie (Eddie 2.18.7 or higher version required) simply by ticking "Use Hummingbird if available" in "Preferences" > "Advanced" window and copying the Hummingbird binary anywhere in your commands path. In this way Eddie will run Hummingbird instead of OpenVPN 2 and you will have the hardened security of Hummingbird vs. OpenVPN 2, as well as a significant performance boost in various phases (during connection and disconnection Hummingbird is up to 300 times faster than OpenVPN 2).

Kind regards

1 minute ago, Staff said:
@Access everywhere

Please pick freely according to your preferences. Hummingbird is much faster, has a tiny RAM footprint (less than 10 MB), it's based on OpenVPN3-AirVPN library, and does not require Mono, but it lacks a GUI (it will evolve with a daemon and GUI only in the near future) and many features of OpenVPN 2 and Eddie.

Eddie is remarkably features richer (full integration with AirVPN infrastructure, customized routes, customized events, OpenVPN over Tor are just a few of several significant features that Hummingbird totally misses), offers a complete GUI, but it is much slower and has a huge RAM footprint (exceeding 1 GB in Linux for example).

Please note that you can run Hummingbird through Eddie (Eddie 2.18.7 or higher version required) simply by ticking "Use Hummingbird if available" in "Preferences" > "Advanced" window and copying the Hummingbird binary anywhere in your commands path. In this way Eddie will run Hummingbird instead of OpenVPN 2 and you will have the hardened security of Hummingbird vs. OpenVPN 2, as well as a significant performance boost in various phases (during connection and disconnection Hummingbird is up to 300 times faster than OpenVPN 2).

Kind regards

Thank you. That's a very comprehensive and helpful reply :) 

I'm having an issue with Hummingbird 1.0.1+ running in Docker. I was really excited about how easy/reliable 1.0.0 was, so I'm hoping I can sort this out. My Docker image is based on ubuntu 19.10 and installs only the iptables package and hummingbird. Attempting to boot this container results in the following log -

Hummingbird - AirVPN OpenVPN 3 Client 1.0.2 - 4 February 2020

Creating resource directory /etc/airvpn
Thu Feb 27 22:31:31.603 2020 Starting thread
Thu Feb 27 22:31:31.603 2020 OpenVPN core 3.6.3 AirVPN linux x86_64 64-bit
Thu Feb 27 22:31:31.610 2020 Frame=512/2048/512 mssfix-ctrl=1250
Thu Feb 27 22:31:31.618 2020 UNUSED OPTIONS
3 [resolv-retry] [infinite] 
4 [nobind] 
5 [persist-key] 
6 [persist-tun] 
7 [auth-nocache] 
8 [route-delay] [5] 
9 [verb] [3] 
10 [explicit-exit-notify] [5] 
Thu Feb 27 22:31:31.619 2020 EVENT: RESOLVE
Thu Feb 27 22:31:31.619 2020 Network filter and lock is using iptables-legacy
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Any notable changes in 1.0.1 that may have caused this?

@bm9vbmUK

Hello!

Can you please force usage of nftables and check what happens? Use the following option and argument when you run Hummingbird:
--network-lock nftables
Kind regards

@Staff
@bm9vbmUK

Hi,

I too have the same Docker issue using Hummingbird 1.02.  I've tried it with Ubuntu 19.04 and Debian 10.2 as the base docker image with iptables installed.  I've tried --network-lock nftables as suggested (and all other --network-lock options) with no luck.

root@fb9b18e43e0e:/# ./hummingbird/hummingbird /config.ovpn --network-lock nftables

Fri Feb 28 14:34:50.765 2020 Starting thread
Fri Feb 28 14:34:50.765 2020 OpenVPN core 3.6.3 AirVPN linux x86_64 64-bit
Fri Feb 28 14:34:50.769 2020 Frame=512/2048/512 mssfix-ctrl=1250
Fri Feb 28 14:34:50.773 2020 UNUSED OPTIONS
3 [resolv-retry] [infinite] 
4 [nobind] 
5 [persist-key] 
6 [persist-tun] 
7 [auth-nocache] 
8 [route-delay] [5] 
9 [verb] [3] 
10 [explicit-exit-notify] [5] 
Fri Feb 28 14:34:50.773 2020 EVENT: RESOLVE
Fri Feb 28 14:34:50.773 2020 Network filter and lock is using nftables
Segmentation fault

3 hours ago, hidefdog said:

I've tried --network-lock nftables as suggested (and all other --network-lock options) with no luck.

Thanks! So, you get a segmentation fault even when you disable network lock?
--network-lock off
Kind regards

I justed wanted to say I'm really impressed with the performance of hummingbird!
Last night I tested it on my arch desktop and reached consistent 700-800mbit/s throughput for almost 2hrs (1gbit down).

On 2/23/2020 at 4:07 AM, Staff said:

The above was in response to a Mac user. I'm also running Eddie 2.18.7 on a Mac but I stopped using the built-in Hummingbird because it was giving me too many problems. Although the Hummingbird version numbers inside eddie and the latest standalone download are the same--1.0.2--the latest one has been changed-- different byte count and different date (1-29-20 for the Eddie binary and 2-4-20 for the latest standalone). Are you saying I could use the latest version with my existiing Eddie gui app? How would I do that? The packaged binary resides in the MacOS folder within the Eddie app. Where would I put the newer binary? If I try to replace the old one, I'll have codesign issues (which I ran into when I tried to modify a menu icon resource a while back). If I put the newer binary in /user/local/bin (which the download hummingbird tar package suggests) will Eddie automatically look for it there first and ignore the version in the MacOS folder?

@dedo299

Hello and thank you for your report!

We're sorry, we can't understand how it's possible that the packaged Hummingbird 1.0.2 with Eddie for Mac is different than the official Hummingbird 1.0.2, we will investigate. In the meantime, please delete the Hummingbird version you currently have, download Hummingbird (from GitLab or our web site) NOT packaged with Eddie, put it in your command path and compare whether those problems you mention (which problems? feel free to be specific) are resolved or not.

If the problems persist, please also consider to run Hummingbird al
one to compare. When Eddie runs Hummingbird, Network Lock and DNS are handled by Eddie and not Hummingbird. When you run Hummingbird alone, of course, Network Lock and DNS are handled by Hummingbird itself.

Direct link to download Hummingbird 1.0.2 for macOS (Mojave or Catalina required):
https://gitlab.com/AirVPN/hummingbird/-/blob/master/binary/hummingbird-macos-1.0.2.tar.gz

Kind regards

17 hours ago, Staff said:

We're sorry, we can't understand how it's possible that the packaged Hummingbird 1.0.2 with Eddie for Mac is different than the official Hummingbird 1.0.2, we will investigate. In the meantime, please delete the Hummingbird version you currently have, download Hummingbird (from GitLab or our web site) NOT packaged with Eddie, put it in your command path and compare whether those problems you mention (which problems? feel free to be specific) are resolved or not.

Re the differences, all I can tell you is that the two 1.0.2 binaries I mentioned have different creation dates and different sizes. As for deleting Hummingbird and replacing it, I can't do that. The binary is imbedded in Eddie's MaOS folder and if I change ANYTHING it breaks the codesigning and the app won't even start. All of this is on my MacPro 5,1. I've also been running Eddie with Hummingbird on a MacBookPro and there it seems to work pretty well. I get Hummingbird error notices from time to time but they don't crash the program and seem benign. That machine runs wirelessly, which may make a difference, I don't know. The MacPro seems to respond differently to Hummingbird so I suspect there's some software conflict somewhere but I don't know where to look. I'll try running it again and see what happens. Also, I'll consider trying the command line version for comparison, although that will be a bit of a learning curve for me.

@dedo299

Also, I'll consider trying the command line version for comparison, although that will be a bit of a learning curve for me.

Please do it if you have time: download Hummingbird from the link we provided and run it alone from a terminal (no Eddie at all). Make sure to start the correct Hummingbird binary, of course. Check whether the problems you mention are resolved. What problem do you experience exactly when you run Hummingbird via Eddie? Please note whether the same problems occur by running Hummingbird alone.

About the learning curve, from what you write we are sure you can run Hummingbird in a couple of minutes already. :)

A GUI for Hummingbird evolution (daemon+client)I is anyway being developed in the very near future.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards

Hi.

I've been using hummingbird (Fedora 31) without any problem until today. After a shutdown I tried to start it and got:

It seems this program did not exit gracefully or has been killed.
Your system may not be working properly and your network connection may not work
as expected. To recover your network settings, run this program again and use
the "--recover-network" option.

It had happen before, and running hummingbird with --recover-network worked. But this time when I do it I get:

It seems this program has properly exited in its last run and
it has already restored network settings on exit.

ERROR: Backup copy of resolv.conf not found.
ERROR: Backup copy of network filter not found.
 and the program stops.

What should I do to be able to use hummingbird again?

Thanks.

On 3/2/2020 at 2:11 AM, Staff said:

Please do it if you have time: download Hummingbird from the link we provided and run it alone from a terminal (no Eddie at all). Make sure to start the correct Hummingbird binary, of course. Check whether the problems you mention are resolved.

I did what you suggested and I have to say it's whole new world. Hummingbird seems to be running well. I've had a couple of glitches on waking from sleep but nothing persistent and today after cycling sleep mode a few times Hummingbird seems solid. It seems that Eddie has been the bad actor all along (surprise!). I've gone a step farther, thanks to farquaad and giganerd, in that I've adapted farquaad's bash script for randomizing servers. After some initial misunderstandings about how these scripts work, I now seem to have Hummingbird running smoothly. But one thing I still don't understand is how do I know it's actually running? With Eddie there was a colored menubar icon I could always glance at for reassurance. I know Hummingbird doesn't have icons, and I'm sure I must be missing something obvious, so how can I easily tell if it's up or not? My main concern is torrents, which some ISPs (i.e. mine) frown upon.

5 hours ago, ctri said:

What should I do to be able to use hummingbird again?

Thanks.

Hello!

Please check the content of /etc/airvpn directory while Huimmingbird is NOT running. Delete the lock file hummingbird.lock if it's there:
sudo rm /etc/airvpn/hummingbird.lock

Also check whether /etc/resolv.conf file exists, just in case.

Please feel free to keep us posted.

Kind regards

@dedo299

Hello!

You can check whether Hummingbird is running from a task monitor, or simply via a terminal:

ps aux | grep hummingbird | grep -v grep

If the output is empty, hummingbird is not running. If you see two processes, Hummingbird is running.

Kind regards

2 hours ago, Staff said:

Hello!

Please check the content of /etc/airvpn directory while Huimmingbird is NOT running. Delete the lock file hummingbird.lock if it's there:

sudo rm /etc/airvpn/hummingbird.lock

Also check whether /etc/resolv.conf file exists, just in case.

Please feel free to keep us posted.

Kind regards

No lock file in /etc/airvpn, only iptables-save.txt. There is a resolv.conf in /etc/