Not connected, Your IP: 3.235.130.73
Sign in to follow this  
bluesjunior

Vastly Reduced Broadband Connection When Using AirVPN to Download?.

My package with Virgin Media is for 200Mbps d/l and 20Mbps u/l and I get this all the time via speed check sites when I am not using AirVPN.  As soon as I sign into AirVPN I am getting pretty poor connection bandwidth reductions to around 35Mbps D/L and 15Mbps U/l which gives me on a AirVPN server a max d/l speed on qBittorrent of around 5Mbps. While researching this I noticed that my PC and router have different MAC addresses. I have read a bit since then on cloning the PC MAc address over onto my router. I am wondering if this is a feasible option or are there drawbacks to it?

A few things you may try, use a different torrent program try utorent or qbittorent program and re-try again.

Make sure port forwarding is set up properly on Air client area>forwarded ports and then you have it set up correctly on utorent or qbitTorrent if you leave the program
running and then try https://canyouseeme.org/ it should say successful in green.

Disable uTP and any also any uTP limits options under your torrent program and make sure TCP protocol is enabled if the option is there (qbittorent has it) also if port forwarding correctly I believe UPnP and nat and use different ports on start up should be disabled.

On qbittorent for example you should be able to hit 16-18+MiB/s with 200Mbps/20Mbps connection with say ubuntu linux downloads, other torrents probably not so well or as reliable.

I think its normal for your hub 3 to have a different mac and your pc also, each device is usually unique and no cloning really required.

you may wish to read this thread here I made here:

Also forgot another big important factor, hub 3 in modem mode requires a powerful router to give it the full performance otherwise it just felt to me it chokes badly. Putting it in normal router mode made it better with better performance. How are you connecting your hub 3 router or modem mode ?

3 hours ago, Lee47 said:

A few things you may try, use a different torrent program try utorent or qbittorent program and re-try again.

Make sure port forwarding is set up properly on Air client area>forwarded ports and then you have it set up correctly on utorent or qbitTorrent if you leave the program
running and then try https://canyouseeme.org/ it should say successful in green.

Disable uTP and any also any uTP limits options under your torrent program and make sure TCP protocol is enabled if the option is there (qbittorent has it) also if port forwarding correctly I believe UPnP and nat and use different ports on start up should be disabled.

On qbittorent for example you should be able to hit 16-18+MiB/s with 200Mbps/20Mbps connection with say ubuntu linux downloads, other torrents probably not so well or as reliable.

I think its normal for your hub 3 to have a different mac and your pc also, each device is usually unique and no cloning really required.

you may wish to read this thread here I made here:

Also forgot another big important factor, hub 3 in modem mode requires a powerful router to give it the full performance otherwise it just felt to me it chokes badly. Putting it in normal router mode made it better with better performance. How are you connecting your hub 3 router or modem mode ?

I have tried everything and more, have also offered advice on other Virgin related threads as well as similar threads at the Virgin forums. When I had the old superhub 2 I didn't have this problem, regularly got 75Mbps d/l speed and up to 17Mbps on a single well seeded file. The problem isn't with AirVPN, qBittorrent or Windows 10 it is with the Virgin superhub 3 whether you use it as a router or in modem mode. I have tried it both ways a couple of times and the results are the same decrease down to around the 35Mbps level. I have it set back on modem mode at present as the WiFi signal is better on the Linksys router. Can't see how it is choking it as the router settings show me that my ethernet connected PC a 1GB connection. My initial question here was in regard to the router and modem having different MAC addresses, could this be causing a bottleneck?.  Could a more knowledgeable person tell me if it would cause any kind of  network problems if I set the MAC address on the router to the same as the PC or vice versa?.

Hi bluesjunior, I added you to a chat just wanted to check something with you if you don't mind ?

Should show an invitation or pm on top right corner with letter symbol