Not connected, Your IP: 34.204.196.206
Sign in to follow this  
Ledkfr

Air VPN Issues with Wifi

Posted ... (edited)

Hello,
I'm having some wierd issues with Air VPN but seemingly only when i'm connected via Wifi, ethernet works fine. Often some sites will take a long time time load, and others work fine. Download speeds are significantly slower than when i'm on my wifi but without the vpn activated or through an ethernet cable (Air VPN on or off). I also experience lag spikes while playing online, wich i do not do in the other configurations. I have noticed that when that happens ipleak.net will show "ipv6 test not reachable" for a bit. Sometimes the connection will slow to a crawl and will become unusable until i manually switch servers. And other times the connection to the servers will drop and Eddie reconnects to another serveur, wich can happen multiple times in a row. 

I am far from a computer expert and I hope you will be able to help me out. If you have any questions or need more info please ask.

Best regards.

Edit: I'm on a computer connecting to an internet provider router.

Edited ... by Ledkfr

Thank you for your reply. I am on PC connecting to my internet provider's provided router.

It would be best to post your Eddie log to get the idea of what is happening. If you can provide both connection (wifi and wired) logs, that will be great. You need to do the connect to recommended server again to generate a log. After you did that (don't exit Eddie or it will clear out the log), go to Logs on the sidebar (the list of options on the left side of the Eddie's area. There is two options you can do. Copy to Clipboard (the second option on the top-right corner) and Save to file (third option on the top-right corner). If you use the clipboard option, you need to paste the log in your new post. If you use Save to File, you need to upload the file to your new post. Make sure you point out what connections (wifi and wired) you are using in both logs.

Posted ... (edited)

Here are my logs, still no issue while wired. It started off great on the wifi but at 16:12 precisely the connexion became unusable (see the image bellow). It happend while i was dowloading a game from steam, and it isn't the first time a download (not necessarely from steam) seems to have caused this issue. The connexion became extremely slow (ookla speed test at 1.5mbps when it usually is at 40+), websites took very long to load and vocal communication were impossible. I disconnected from the VPN and the issue seemed to last for a couple of minutes before disapearing. I then restarted Eddie and the download speed is a bit low (ookla at around 8Mbps), some websites are long to load (around 10 seconds) although most websites load at a normal speed , and i still experience lag spikes. I have no idea of what is going on, and i'm not sure all of these issues are the same thing even if they may be connected. Thank you for your help.

Connection issue.PNG

Eddie_20200203_165953 Ethernet Wired log.txt Eddie_20200204_161952 Wifi log 1612.txt

Edited ... by Ledkfr
Wording

And here are some wifi logs without any crashes, but lag spikes and some specific websites are taking a long time to load while most websites work fine. Websites with the issues are among others : Hltv.org , Thomann.de , Duolingo.com , Leboncoin.fr , Dba.dk and Twitter.com. I still do not experience these issues in any other configuration than Air VPN + Wifi. Thank you for your help.

eddie_2020-02-07 Wifi no crash.log

Hello!

You can consider to use an Ethernet connection, if it's a viable option. If not, it's worth to test different WiFi channels, especially if you have neighbors using WiFi as well. Changing channel may solve every problem, but not all routers let you change manually channel unfortunately. Please see also here:
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/179344-how-to-boost-your-wifi-speed-by-choosing-the-right-channel

Kind regards

4 hours ago, Staff said:

Hello!

You can consider to use an Ethernet connection, if it's a viable option. If not, it's worth to test different WiFi channels, especially if you have neighbors using WiFi as well. Changing channel may solve every problem, but not all routers let you change manually channel unfortunately. Please see also here:
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/179344-how-to-boost-your-wifi-speed-by-choosing-the-right-channel

Kind regards

Thank you for your reply. I don't have any neighbour wifi showing up on my computer but I tried two different routers on two different channels and the issue persisted. I had no issues when i disabled the VPN on either routers.

@Ledkfr

We would then suspect that your ISP enforces traffic shaping after a certain traffic volume threshold exchanged with a VPN server and/or on a time basis, but that's not possible because you don't have the problem when you connect via Ethernet, so we still think that the problem is related to WiFi. Another option to consider is a problem with WiFi on the final computer network interface (try to update its driver if possible): you don't see the problem with Ethernet because the network card is different, but on WiFi after a certain period of time the problem is triggered by something unknown and maybe related to OpenVPN and/or UDP. Other than that we can't think of any other rational explanation unfortunately.

Kind regards

Reinstalling the wifi driver didn't work, but activating Network Lock at startup seems to have done the trick aswell as fixing ipv6 leaking while torrenting that i may have been experiencing. Are there any downsides or risks to using Network Lock that i should be aware of?
Thank you all for your answers.