Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.196.87
Sign in to follow this  
larsvontrier

Qwant search engine seems to know my location

Every time I use Qwant search engine it always gives me search results based in the UK.
I live in the UK.

Despite using Airvpn, changing servers and even changing the screen resolution of my monitor - Qwant will always give me websites based in the UK.
I have found this even occurs when I use Tor browser.

How can this happen?

Connect to a server in a different country and check for leaks at
ipleak.net
browserleaks.com

You should also delete cookies and browser cache as it might contain information about your previous location

Check Qwant settings.  It has a setting for the country to use to orient your search results.  Perhaps it defaulted to UK when you first used Qwant, way back before you were on a VPN.  (The last time I used Qwant though, via an Air server in a country not my own, I found the setting indicated the country of the Air server I was using.)

On 1/27/2020 at 10:25 AM, HannaForest said:

Connect to a server in a different country and check for leaks at
ipleak.net
browserleaks.com

You should also delete cookies and browser cache as it might contain information about your previous location

I have been to both websites and they're showing no DNS or webRTC leaks.
Nonetheless Qwant stiil keeps giving UK websites from its output.
I always delete cookies on startup.

I think this is a Firefox issue as Qwant does not detect my location when I use Chromium browser.

21 hours ago, SurprisedItWorks said:

Check Qwant settings.  It has a setting for the country to use to orient your search results.  Perhaps it defaulted to UK when you first used Qwant, way back before you were on a VPN.  (The last time I used Qwant though, via an Air server in a country not my own, I found the setting indicated the country of the Air server I was using.)

Yes, Qwant does have a 'Settings' menu - but I can't see any option for 'country'.

I have uninstalled Firefox and deleted the personal profile from my Home directory.
I then reinstalled Firefox - and the same problem occurs - whichever server I use on Airvpn, Qwant still gives me UK search results!

This is a little bit worrying.
Is there some setting I need to change on Firefox?

Looks like what I was remembering -- I see it in settings on qwant.com in firefox mobile -- is the two language settings, one for the interface and one for search results.  I noticed that when I used a Netherlands server, somehow the latter setting defaulted to Dutch and I got many results in that language.  I changed it to English and started getting mostly US (where I am) results, even on the same Dutch server.

Re changing firefox, visit ipleak.net, an AirVPN site, and look for "WebRTC Detection" for one way info can get out even on a vpn.  If you are leaking WebRTC info, it will tell you what to change in firefox about:config to fix it.

4 hours ago, SurprisedItWorks said:

Looks like what I was remembering -- I see it in settings on qwant.com in firefox mobile -- is the two language settings, one for the interface and one for search results.  I noticed that when I used a Netherlands server, somehow the latter setting defaulted to Dutch and I got many results in that language.  I changed it to English and started getting mostly US (where I am) results, even on the same Dutch server.

Re changing firefox, visit ipleak.net, an AirVPN site, and look for "WebRTC Detection" for one way info can get out even on a vpn.  If you are leaking WebRTC info, it will tell you what to change in firefox about:config to fix it.

I have made the necessary change in 'about:config' on Firefox browser to prevent webRTC leaks (i.e. Type "about:config” in the address bar. Scroll down to “media.peerconnection.enabled”, double click to set it to false).
I have also made the modification for Chromium (i.e. Install WebRTC Network Limiter and change its setting to prevent leaks).

However, thank you I think you've helped me resolve the problem.

I am using Airvpn on desktop.
When I input 'qwant.com' on a search engine - it always redirects me to 'lite.qwant.com'.

On the Settings menu of Qwant search engine - I changed the language setting to French.
After that, all search results were for French websites.
If the language is changed to German - then all search results will be for German websites.

Once I changed the language setting back to 'English' - I realised it was giving me primarily UK outputs with some US outputs.
So it seems the reason Qwant is giving me UK websites is because I have the language setting on English.
It is not because there is a DNS leak on my FF browser while using Airvpn.

On Firefox browser, under Edit - Preferences - General - Network Settings, I have chosen the option for: 'Use system proxy settings'.
I expect this means the FF browser will work best with Airvpn.

Does anyone know what the correct setting should be when using Airvpn with FF?