Not connected, Your IP: 3.238.79.169
usefulvid

Updated AirVPN Video Review

I find it a bit difficult to look at the max throughput and basing a rating on that since it mostly depends on the setup of the clients. As you said it yourself in the video, you are using DOCSIS 3.x from Vodafone Kabel Deutschland. I too was a subscriber once on a 400/50 Mbit/s line and while I would reach 40-50 MiB/s download throughput with qBittorrent (they were short-lived downloads whatsover, content would be downloaded in a jiffy), it was significantly more difficult to maintain a good upload throughput for seeding. Something throttled me to exactly 1.5 MiB/s. It would usually start in the most busy hours of the day, usually in the evenings, and stop at midnight ± 2 hours. At weekends I was throttled the whole time.
I moved back to Telekom with a 250/40 Mbit/s plan last year, the upload was going up to 4 MiB/s but was never really stable. So then I noticed a very high load on the HDD and thought it wouldn't keep up with the random reads, so I replaced it with an SSD and now I can't stop crying tears of joy over the most beautiful, calm, straight line at exactly 4 MiB/s. It looks a bit like a calm ocean's surface now.

Oh, and regarding support, thank you for completely omitting the forums. Although it's not strictly speaking support, the community does solve many of the problems you'd normally create a ticket for. Some users praised it as a trove of knowledge, even if it can get quite technical. But it's at least another way people get this VPN up and running. :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

9 hours ago, giganerd said:

I find it a bit difficult to look at the max throughput and basing a rating on that since it mostly depends on the setup of the clients.

I agree but as I said this gives no minus points for airvpn because the speeds are fine for me.
There are a lot of unknown variables in a speedtest its always a bit tricky.

Oh, and regarding support, thank you for completely omitting the forums.

The Video was meant as a short presentation of my experiences of AirVPN. The complete review can be found on my website. I mentioned the forum there ;)
Forum might be nice but a paid service should take its customers serious and answer the tickets properly.

@usefulvid

Are we correct in noticing that no mention of CHACHA20-POLY1305 (boosting performance of non AES-NI supporting devices and adding dramatically battery life of battery based devices) has been done? If we are right, has it been omitted because it is not considered relevant, or for some other reason? Also, is the fact that AirVPN develops OpenVPN 3 not perceived as relevant by your audience? Candid questions whose answers may be useful to us, but of course feel free to not answer.

Important disclaimer for the readers: the author of the review has never been paid, either directly or indirectly, by AirVPN. Congratulations for being one of the few who did not ask for money "or else...".

Kind regards

@Staff
This was a review and not an advertisement video or blog post which shows all of your engagement and features.
Chacha20 is mentioned as "experimental" on only 5 servers as far as I know.
I mentioned in general that your encryption algorithms and the underlying software is up to date.
I especially mentioned this because I am both aware of chacha20 and the up to date openvpn binary.
I also tested competitors who use openvpn 2.3.x (to keep windows backward compatibility?)
I can send you my tickets via PM (usefulvid is not my subscription user)

@usefulvid

1) CHACHA20 is not experimental on the client side but yes, it is experimental on the server side because OpenVPN 2.5 is still not in stable phase, although it was promised for November/December 2019. That's why we prefer to clarify it.

2) We don't know why they stick to obsolete versions. OpenVPN 2.4 without tls-crypt supports OpenVPN up to 2.2 so it is not a problem for Windows XP and onwards... OpenVPN 2.3.x should not be necessary anymore for any backward compatibility.

Thanks for the answers.  Staff account does not have PM enabled for flood reasons, please contact us at your convenience either at info@airvpn.org or open a ticket with usefulvid subject (or from your usefulvid account).

Kind regards

@usefulvid

Thank you. We have reviewed the four tickets (all by the same user) which in your opinion hint to bad support and we don't agree with you. They have all been handled very professionally as far as we can see, and in our opinion, even when the problem of the user was unrelated to AirVPN and therefore totally out of the scope and competence of the support team.

Kind regards