Not connected, Your IP: 44.192.247.144
mazeman23

Airvpn over a satelite connection?

Is anyone here that has some experience using airvpn over a satelite connection that mostly cruise ships use?

Are there special configuartions that needs to be done in the Eddie Client for example?

Or will it not work at all?

One thing comes to mind: Tune your send/receive windows. I think you need very high values for satellites since they are considered long and fat (high latency, high bandwidth), so it's a good idea to send as many data as possible in one window. In Eddie settings you can set max 512 kB.
You can actually calculate it yourself if you know the max throughput in Mbit/s and a median latency value you get to any IP. Maybe a speedtest can be made for this. Then you multiply the bandwidth in bit and the latency in seconds, then you convert to bytes. We can take the Wikipedia example:

1,5 Mbit/s bandwidth | 513 ms latency
1,5 Mbit/s = 1,500,000 bit/s | 513 ms = 0,513 s
1,500,000 bit/s * 0,513 s = 769,500 bit
769,500 bit / 8 = 96,187 Byte = 96 kByte

Windows' default send/receive window was 64 kByte at some point (65535 Byte). With that setting you wouldn't be able to use that example satellite link at its full potential, you'd only get roughly 1 Mbit/s. Setting the windows to 128 kByte would solve it.

7 hours ago, mazeman23 said:

Or will it not work at all?

It will work, but pay attention to the performance. :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

On 1/24/2020 at 7:04 PM, giganerd said:

One thing comes to mind: Tune your send/receive windows. I think you need very high values for satellites since they are considered long and fat (high latency, high bandwidth), so it's a good idea to send as many data as possible in one window. In Eddie settings you can set max 512 kB.
You can actually calculate it yourself if you know the max throughput in Mbit/s and a median latency value you get to any IP. Maybe a speedtest can be made for this. Then you multiply the bandwidth in bit and the latency in seconds, then you convert to bytes. We can take the Wikipedia example:

1,5 Mbit/s bandwidth | 513 ms latency
1,5 Mbit/s = 1,500,000 bit/s | 513 ms = 0,513 s
1,500,000 bit/s * 0,513 s = 769,500 bit
769,500 bit / 8 = 96,187 Byte = 96 kByte

Windows' default send/receive window was 64 kByte at some point (65535 Byte). With that setting you wouldn't be able to use that example satellite link at its full potential, you'd only get roughly 1 Mbit/s. Setting the windows to 128 kByte would solve it.

It will work, but pay attention to the performance. :)

Great explanation...where in windows can you change the packet size ?

57 minutes ago, mazeman23 said:

In Eddie settings you can set max 512 kB.

You got all the info you need. It's in Settings > Networking > TCP/UDP send/receive buffer size.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.