Not connected, Your IP: 44.222.249.19
monica.castro86

AirVPN + Rsaapber Pi + Transmission

I have 3 issues with my VPN:

1. Port Forward -> Even thought I have made a port forward in client area my Transmission client says that the port is closed. Why is that? Is there something I should do on Pi? If I forward this port on my router it works ok. How can I check if the port is actually forwarded?
  2. DNS -> If I connect to the VPN, DNS stop to work. I checked the /etc/resov.conf file and the addresses don't change. When I edit this file and add manually VPN's DNS server address it works OK. What's the best option to do it automatically?
  3. Kill Switch -> my IPtables is vary simple:
    -P INPUT ACCEPT
    -P FORWARD ACCEPT
    -P OUTPUT ACCEPT

I followed the guide here: Prevent leaks with Linux & iptables
         After putting all the lines I still have the access to internet although VPN is not connected. Is there anything I can do to make sure Pi will only traffic through VPN?

2 hours ago, monica.castro86 said:

Port Forward -> Even thought I have made a port forward in client area my Transmission client says that the port is closed. Why is that? Is there something I should do on Pi? If I forward this port on my router it works ok. How can I check if the port is actually forwarded?

This suggests you're not connected, and if you are, something is not configured right. In this case we need an OpenVPN log.

DNS -> If I connect to the VPN, DNS stop to work. I checked the /etc/resov.conf file and the addresses don't change. When I edit this file and add manually VPN's DNS server address it works OK. What's the best option to do it automatically?

An up script, maybe. Every time a connection gets established you rename resolv.conf to resolv.conf.bak or so, then write the necessary info to a new resolv.conf file. If disconnecting, you call a down script which will delete the resolv.conf and rename resolv.conf.bak to resolv.conf. More info in the manual, as usual.

After putting all the lines I still have the access to internet although VPN is not connected. Is there anything I can do to make sure Pi will only traffic through VPN?

Normally this is set by default. The iptables rules are only there to drop anything that for some reason slips through, but everything goes through the VPN interface, anyway.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Posted ... (edited)
On 1/15/2020 at 4:48 PM, giganerd said:

This suggests you're not connected, and if you are, something is not configured right. In this case we need an OpenVPN log.

Thank you giganerd. I solved the DNS issue, thanks a lot.

The port forward problem was that I did not spot that the external and internal ports are different No. When those are the same it works perfect

Edited ... by monica.castro86
Problem soved

23 hours ago, giganerd said:

Normally this is set by default. The iptables rules are only there to drop anything that for some reason slips through, but everything goes through the VPN interface, anyway.

After setting the iptables from the link should I delete the 3 original:
-P INPUT ACCEPT
-P FORWARD ACCEPT
-P OUTPUT ACCEPT