Not connected, Your IP: 44.192.132.66
twelvesky

Slow Torrent speed and weird connection drops

Posted ... (edited)

Hello guys im experiencing -50% download speed in torrenting.
For example:
without VPN i download with 15MB per second
with AirVPN I download with 7,5MB per second
image.png.b24f1964da6138c05cc2b2e48872ebe1.png

Here are my torrent settings:
image.png.70e8ece5f42b1c0d7288e4475a16e52d.png

I am very bad at computer stuff and really understand only japanese when I read the guides here (my english is also not so good) but i did forward a port in AirVPN as Ive heard it does increase torrenting speeds.
image.png.aafed274a68c072d3241d56a69d146e3.png

The torrents have a good Leech Seed ratio usually 1500+ seeding and 50-100 leeching
Edit: okay so the problem seems to exist only when torrenting because when i download with my browser i download with 13,5mb per second

I did not change any settings in Eddie Client, because they are very confusing to me. All I did so far is port forwarding and Installing Tap 9.9

Do you guys have some good beginner tips+settings to be very anonymous and have better download+torrent speeds? I would really appreciate it or is this already considered as "good"?

I also get a higher ping in Overwatch (online shooter game) without AirVPN its at 32 stable and with Airvpn its at 70 and spikes from 60-90 goes up and down (its not stable).

Much love 

Eddie_20200109_092921.txt

Edited ... by twelvesky

Can you try one Linux torrent only to rule out storage as a possible problem?
And can you post your connection settings of Deluge, like number of max connections and such? And maybe your ISP and the bandwidth you're subscribed to as well?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Posted ... (edited)

Hello, I don't know if this only happens when torrenting, but it happens very often while I am downloading something with torrent.
This also used to happen when i used another VPN provider, not airvpn. I used openVPN with both so 'to me' it looks like it has to do with openVPN?
I just cant explain why this happens, but when it happens my entire internet stops working as in I get disconnected in online games or cant reach an internet site while this is happening.
I didnt change any Eddie settings, all I did so far is add a port at the homepage and install Tap 9.9. nothing else has been touched.
hope anybody can help because this is very frustrating.

This guy explains my problem in better english

Eddie_20200109_185433.txt

image.png

Edited ... by twelvesky

12 minutes ago, giganerd said:

Can you try one Linux torrent only to rule out storage as a possible problem?
And can you post your connection settings of Deluge, like number of max connections and such? And maybe your ISP and the bandwidth you're subscribed to as well?

Hello,
What is a linux torrent?

Settings:
image.png.65ada7a424e8cb09d99c85625081f37d.png
image.png.0b293fc4be0d6fb90228a97a9bcd7d59.png
image.png.75f54c67905ed3dcaae868d7a50b0902.png

You didn't set a maximum upload throughput value. This should be set to your max upload which is still an unknown after looking at all your content posted here.
Next, try setting the max connections value to 100.
Then, if you have uTP enabled, disable it. Could be in the Network tab of the settings.

Your video reminded me of my own problems with a very narrow uplink of just 450 kbit/s many years ago, which is only 40 kB/s. Such a rekey would also disconnect me. It got better after I got a wider uplink from my provider. To support that, in your last screenshot with your speedtest there seems to be a problem with upload in general. Can you do a speedtest on Ookla, please?

Posted ... (edited)

15 minutes ago, giganerd said:

You didn't set a maximum upload throughput value. This should be set to your max upload which is still an unknown after looking at all your content posted here.
Next, try setting the max connections value to 100.
Then, if you have uTP enabled, disable it. Could be in the Network tab of the settings.

Your video reminded me of my own problems with a very narrow uplink of just 450 kbit/s many years ago, which is only 40 kB/s. Such a rekey would also disconnect me. It got better after I got a wider uplink from my provider. To support that, in your last screenshot with your speedtest there seems to be a problem with upload in general. Can you do a speedtest on Ookla, please?

i could live with the slow speed, but the other issue i posted with the video is a lot more important i believe. its a mystery to me why it happens with the connection drops

ok i set max connection value from 200 to 100
in deluge -1 value mean "infinite"
image.png.620ebbf8f10db00ae3b8cfc60e7d3b40.png
it looks like this now:
image.png.b3e88983272d6bc46a1bacb515917b13.png

network tab
image.png.b8957ec87dcb652c38ec187796e9146b.png

speedtest:
https://www.speedtest.net/result/8929970351

Edited ... by twelvesky

You can try setting the correct mssfix value in AIRs Eddie client with the --mssfix directive.

See this manual on how to determine it:

https://www.sonassi.com/help/troubleshooting/setting-correct-mtu-for-openvpn

Or try another torrent client, like qBittorrent for example.

Regards

BB

AMD Ryzen 3950X @ 105W PPL

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite

AMD RX 5700 XT

Corsair DDR4-3200 32GB

1 hour ago, BlueBanana said:

You can try setting the correct mssfix value in AIRs Eddie client with the --mssfix directive.

See this manual on how to determine it:

https://www.sonassi.com/help/troubleshooting/setting-correct-mtu-for-openvpn

Or try another torrent client, like qBittorrent for example.

Regards

BB

hey, this literally fixed my download speed. qbittorrent!!! downloading at almsot max speed, thanks!!!
@giganerd download speed problems are solved!

the connection drops sadly still remains
image.thumb.png.bf701f9ed218f790cbcad335c94eb487.png

when i use IPmagnet http://ipmagnet.services.cbcdn.com/ 
with qBittorrent it also leaks my real ip? @BlueBanana
i dont get it

IP magnet with my REAL IP:
image.thumb.png.409e98092af772ff79f0676b237ad5cc.png

IP Magnet with AirVPN
image.thumb.png.06cfdc30476bd939883f8e4260569a71.png

my qbittorrent settings
image.png.82c3ede713f02dca4a101ad97afbece9.png
image.png.cee37d748a79a1b396fb0348cc8f82d0.png

yeah deluge doesnt leak my IP compared to qbittorrent
okay so it could be that my speed was so fast because qbittorrent used my real ip? idk im so confused right now

okay well whatever it is, i dont mind using deluge
what really bothers right now is the connection drops... i just have absoilutely no clue what to do about it

In your qBittorrent settings "Enabled prtotcol" should be only "TCP" and not "TCP and µTP", because using µTP could slow your speeds down.
You should also bind qBittorrent to your VPN interface in the "Advanced settings". Then it shouldn't leak your real IP:

Provided that you have Eddies' Network Lock enabled, there should be no IP leak.

Before starting your torrent client, check your connection with

http://ipleak.net

Regards

BB

P.S.: Have you enabled IPv6 in Eddie? You seem to have a Dual - Stack connection, so it is mandatory to enable IPv6 in Eddie. If you don't need IPv6, you can consider disabling it altogether. It really isn't needed for torrents in my opinion. It could furthermore be a security risk if not configured properly in the VPN.

AMD Ryzen 3950X @ 105W PPL

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite

AMD RX 5700 XT

Corsair DDR4-3200 32GB

58 minutes ago, BlueBanana said:

In your qBittorrent settings "Enabled prtotcol" should be only "TCP" and not "TCP and µTP", because using µTP could slow your speeds down.
You should also bind qBittorrent to your VPN interface in the "Advanced settings". Then it shouldn't leak your real IP:

Provided that you have Eddies' Network Lock enabled, there should be no IP leak.

Before starting your torrent client, check your connection with

http://www.ipleak.net

Regards

BB

thanks buddy, works like a charm!
image.png.491ff5e56aba8c5eb70fcae0454eaf5e.png
then
image.png.54e22010db6cc517eea239b22603d6f1.png
=
image.png.7c890079ae2d0268dd0b370611b590e8.png
its correct like this right?
and do the rest of the options also look correct to you?
image.png.2cf684f248b28e1b462ccfd7a51e9a38.png
image.png.31063bbae05478fe86a7cd6b29743972.png

all left to fix is these stupid connection drops that nobody seems to be able to explain

just a quick update:

using qBittorrent literally fixed everything?! i mean literally everything. no more connection drops,
image.thumb.png.9ba6a094f324958086a9b1b692910f00.png

connection didnt drop at the end, i just finished all my downloads in 1 go. this is so odd, but working. thanks again for the help guys.

only thing im afraid of is qBittorent not being secure? It seems too good to be true.

and like, it downloads at max speed, while torenting almost nothing else works? i cant browse the internet because qbittorrent takes up all my internet speed. any idea how to fix that guys?
btw switching the servers also fixed my ingame ping and im alround satisfied now

100% lifetime costumer from now on! thanks for the great service

12 hours ago, twelvesky said:

only thing im afraid of is qBittorent not being secure? It seems too good to be true.

There is one thing you absolutely need to do: Bind qBittorrent to your TAP adapter! In Advanced section, look for a "Bind to interface" setting and select the TAP adapter from the drop-down menu when you're connected.
This causes qBittorrent to only use the TAP adapter when talking to the outside world, and if that adapter is not in a connected state it won't be able to talk. Easy. It's like a kill switch: If the connection dies, all connections of qB die. If you reconnect, qB will reconnect to peers.

and like, it downloads at max speed, while torenting almost nothing else works? i cant browse the internet because qbittorrent takes up all my internet speed. any idea how to fix that guys?

In Speed section, set your max upload to whatever your uplink is you're subscribed to, -10%. The "problem" you might be facing is that a connection between computers is a two-way street. When you're downloading packets, you're also sending packets back which ACKnowledge that you received the package. As your download throughput increases, so does the amount of ACKs sent back. Plus, if other clients download from you, the bottleneck is perfected.
If you carelessly ignore the max upload setting, you allow the torrent client to fill your uplink with packets.

16 hours ago, giganerd said:

There is one thing you absolutely need to do: Bind qBittorrent to your TAP adapter! In Advanced section, look for a "Bind to interface" setting and select the TAP adapter from the drop-down menu when you're connected.
This causes qBittorrent to only use the TAP adapter when talking to the outside world, and if that adapter is not in a connected state it won't be able to talk. Easy. It's like a kill switch: If the connection dies, all connections of qB die. If you reconnect, qB will reconnect to peers.

image.png.62515af8f91baa88da00eefd17da2461.png
image.png.7c16d68afb188f480d9b4ec8402b9933.png
image.png.9249dab528b65405d8161290ccdf8ddc.png
its correct like this right ?

Exactly. :) But don't bind to an IP address. If you change the server, port or protocol, you will get another VPN IP and this one would be obsolete, creating the need to set it again.

Have a look through the article in the link. I was experiencing the same bandwidth hogging issue a few months back in my install of qBittorent. I didn't find anything spwcific at the qBittorrent forums but came across the article below on Bit Torrent and as they are very similar i followed the advice on how to reduce the allotted qBittorrent bandwidth to 80%.
https://superuser.com/questions/409208/bittorrent-hogging-my-bandwidth-to-the-point-where-windows-doesnt-think-im-con

On 1/11/2020 at 2:40 PM, giganerd said:

Exactly. :) But don't bind to an IP address. If you change the server, port or protocol, you will get another VPN IP and this one would be obsolete, creating the need to set it again.

the thing is, if i dont bind that specific IP, qbittorrent wont start downloading, it only starts downloading once i bind that ip

6 hours ago, twelvesky said:
On 1/11/2020 at 8:40 AM, giganerd said:

the thing is, if i dont bind that specific IP, qbittorrent wont start downloading, it only starts downloading once i bind that ip

Really? That is a odd behavior but again they can be fickle. It didn't start downloading when you use "All Addresses"?

5 hours ago, NoiselessOwl said:

Really? That is a odd behavior but again they can be fickle. It didn't start downloading when you use "All Addresses"?
yup, nothing happens when i use "all adresses"

10 hours ago, twelvesky said:
16 hours ago, NoiselessOwl said:

Have you okayed magnet torrent downloads to qBittorrent in your browser?.

17 hours ago, twelvesky said:

I do wonder if the issue is the gateway? I researched and found a few cases of issue with qBittorrent and VPN regarding with gateway, the solution is to have the ip in the gateway in TAP-Windows Adapter. It is a little annoying when software decided to gave up when it is connecting to the interface without testing the connection. This is intentional and have a purpose. But some software just decided to throw a tantrum when the interface don't have default gateway. *hard-glared at O365 Office*

Try this step to see if the solution work. Solution for Default Gateway. There is a link in my post there which will lead you to the guide of how to add a ip address to default gateway. After that, try changing the qBittorrent setting to All Addresses to see if it is able to download. Not sure if you have to restart qBittorrent.

Posted ... (edited)

Hi, i use BiglyBT (optimized for uploading, successor from BitTyrant) and bind "eth0" in the interface options. This client have a list in that option section, where are all adapters are found with the current IP adress, its super easy this way. So everytme when i didnt use AirVPN for some days and i get a different IP as before, its not a problem. Most Torrent Clients should be able to handle "interfaces" instead of an IP. Emule clients are different. There  i have to change the new IP and restart. I dont know how these multi net clients like MLDonkey and Shareaza behave in this matter.

And limit your Upload Speed like the people said before. 80% was the recommended value in the past, today you can go a bit higher. Test the Linux distributions, they have so much speed, 70megabytes/sec are no problem at all without vpn, with vpn on, you should get the max speed possible over your connected vpn server. Also, you can test the upload speed in some torrent clients, i dont know an other way for that. (Only to create a torrent and let a friend download it for some minutes....)

If the drops should be happen again, try to deactivate the DHT function in the torrent client. As long as 1 tracker or the torrent is "alive", there should be nearly all other clients reachable, because PEX (Peer Exchange) helps a lot after some minutes.
------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe some interesting stuff to know:

For test purposes, remember that a lot of torrents contain a bunch of trackers. If you start and stop a lot, its often, that not all are reasked immidiatly. This could result in different speedvalues. Test with VPN on, stop, test without and then start VPN again ect, causes this differences, because even after an torrent client restart, it could be, that not all tracker are asked again within minutes. You can ask manually within the contect menu in most clients. "Good" reasktimes in Torrent are 15 to 30 minutes. Some private tracker arent amused if a client is reasking to fast. In Emule a reasktime like 5 to 20 minutes is nearly an autoban in every connected client which contains some security features. 29 Minutes is perfect, 30 minutes or more will be a huge disadvantage, because then your client will be dropped in most cases. Theres no chance anymore, to go through the line with a lot of reasks, its an autoban since years^^

In Torrent, this system doesnt exists, because there arent queues like in emule.

Edited ... by Camponotus

On 1/15/2020 at 7:11 PM, Camponotus said:

Hi, i use BiglyBT (optimized for uploading, successor from BitTyrant) and bind "eth0" in the interface options. This client have a list in that option section, where are all adapters are found with the current IP adress, its super easy this way. So everytme when i didnt use AirVPN for some days and i get a different IP as before, its not a problem. Most Torrent Clients should be able to handle "interfaces" instead of an IP. Emule clients are different. There  i have to change the new IP and restart. I dont know how these multi net clients like MLDonkey and Shareaza behave in this matter.

And limit your Upload Speed like the people said before. 80% was the recommended value in the past, today you can go a bit higher. Test the Linux distributions, they have so much speed, 70megabytes/sec are no problem at all without vpn, with vpn on, you should get the max speed possible over your connected vpn server. Also, you can test the upload speed in some torrent clients, i dont know an other way for that. (Only to create a torrent and let a friend download it for some minutes....)

If the drops should be happen again, try to deactivate the DHT function in the torrent client. As long as 1 tracker or the torrent is "alive", there should be nearly all other clients reachable, because PEX (Peer Exchange) helps a lot after some minutes.
------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe some interesting stuff to know:

For test purposes, remember that a lot of torrents contain a bunch of trackers. If you start and stop a lot, its often, that not all are reasked immidiatly. This could result in different speedvalues. Test with VPN on, stop, test without and then start VPN again ect, causes this differences, because even after an torrent client restart, it could be, that not all tracker are asked again within minutes. You can ask manually within the contect menu in most clients. "Good" reasktimes in Torrent are 15 to 30 minutes. Some private tracker arent amused if a client is reasking to fast. In Emule a reasktime like 5 to 20 minutes is nearly an autoban in every connected client which contains some security features. 29 Minutes is perfect, 30 minutes or more will be a huge disadvantage, because then your client will be dropped in most cases. Theres no chance anymore, to go through the line with a lot of reasks, its an autoban since years^^

In Torrent, this system doesnt exists, because there arent queues like in emule.

hey i just started looking into BiglyBT, it looks very nice to me, mind sharing your settings? and it automatically set my upload speed to 80% lol love it. there are a lot of options in this program, a lot new for a newbie like myself. would love if you could share your settings for good annonymity and speed.i couldnt find the bind option either. so many options omg lol
do you have discord?

19 hours ago, twelvesky said:

do you have discord?

Discord is a little big privacy nightmare, I hope you are aware of this. No encryption, profiles open, nothing gets ever deleted, full access to your data from devs.

hi, i dont use discord too. most options have a tool tip. just go through all options slowly. a lot of stuff you can ignore.

download folder, connection settings with speed and ports, connection category for the vpn adapter are the important things to change. my personal opinion is, to not use DHT or the mainline DHT. i only activate it for a short time, when i have no other choice. For emule, KAD is essentially.

BiglyBT is like Azureus from years ago. After Azureus it changed into Vuze and later into BitTyrant