Not connected, Your IP: 3.230.148.211
airdev

AirVPN and stable eddie releases

Hi

I wanted to discuss AirVPN's stable Eddie releases, and in particular, the latest Eddie stable version 2.16.3. The release thread can be found here

This was released on 08/20/2018 which as of this post was 503 days ago (1 year, 4 months or 16 months).

This version was released with OpenVPN 2.4.6, was was released April 19th 2019. In this time, much has changed, there's been a further 2 releases, as well as AirVPN's own branch with their own patches.

However, those customers who wish for a more stable experience are forced to either use a beta or stick with an old and possibly insecure version of OpenVPN. For a company selling VPN services, this is not ideal.

AirVPN also disabled older Eddie versions (removed them from download page) as they were too old.

Is it possible to adapt a faster release cadence for Eddie users, I appreciate the latest beta was a huge undertaking and was substantially re-written, but I feel it's important to release at least once per quarter an update that at the least provides up-to-date defaults (I doubt many are going to supply their own OpenVPN.exe in Eddie's options).

My idea would be to provide an Eddie "LTS" release, that would get a new stable release every 3 months, fixing any bugs, or updating dependencies, that would be supported for at least 12 months, then the Staff can beta test the next larger release for longer before it goes stable and becomes an LTS, again getting updates every 3 months for 12 months total.

Thanks.

On 1/5/2020 at 5:04 PM, airdev said:

My idea would be to provide an Eddie "LTS" release, that would get a new stable release every 3 months, fixing any bugs, or updating dependencies, that would be supported for at least 12 months, then the Staff can beta test the next larger release for longer before it goes stable and becomes an LTS, again getting updates every 3 months for 12 months total.

This requires an actual team. :D (No offense at Staff)
Right now I know of only two people more or less actively coding on the clients. One is finalizing the 2.18.x versions, the other writes Hummingbird 3.x and Eddie for Android.

On 1/5/2020 at 5:04 PM, airdev said:

However, those customers who wish for a more stable experience are forced to either use a beta or stick with an old and possibly insecure version of OpenVPN.

A beta can be stable, too, which is largely what Eddie 2.18.x is now, despite the name.

Four simple things:
There's a guide to AirVPN. Before you ask questions, take 30 minutes of your time to go through it.

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here. It's the fallback DNS.
Running TOR exits is discouraged. They're subject to restrictions on the internet and harm all AirVPN users.

Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. If you overdo privacy, you'll be unique among the mass again.

XMPP: gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join our lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org

17 hours ago, giganerd said:

This requires an actual team. :D (No offense at Staff)
Right now I know of only two people more or less actively coding on the clients. One is finalizing the 2.18.x versions, the other writes Hummingbird 3.x and Eddie for Android.

A beta can be stable, too, which is largely what Eddie 2.18.x is now, despite the name.

I am inclined to agree - It'd be nice to drop the beta tag after a few months after release if there are no major reported issues.

Truthfully, the stable client appears to be abandoned (don't forget 2.17.x which never left beta).

I wish the Staff would commit to a schedule (or at least promoting stable updates more frequently).

I think there is bottle neck in development somewhere, it's a really strange situation and never before has there been such a disparity between beta and stable and their software dev in general.