Jump to content
Not connected, Your IP: 3.215.182.81
User Of AirVPN

AirVPN Server listed as Tor Exit Node

Recommended Posts

Hi. Today I was using the server Fang in Chicago, IL, and I went to https://whatismyipaddress.com and noticed that the server's exit IP (68.235.48.108) was listed as being a Tor exit node, and I checked the list of tor nodes at https://check.torproject.org/cgi-bin/TorBulkExitList.py?ip=1.1.1.1 I noticed that the server's exit IP was in this list also. I have also noticed recently having to solve a lot more captchas on this server and even being blocked from a few websites, possibly due to it's status as a Tor exit node. I'm wondering why this server shows as a Tor exit node, and how long will it affect availability to access websites?
Edit: The Canadian servers Regulus and Angetenar are also listed as Tor Exit nodes (184.75.221.35, 184.75.221.163), as well as the servers Aquila (199.249.223.130) and Muscida (213.152.162.154)
Edit 2: As of today the server Lich (194.36.111.59) is also marked as a Tor Exit Node. Why so many servers are being used for Tor exits recently?
Update 1/2/19: Unfortunately today while using the server Gliese (91.132.0.203) I was saddened to see that this IP is now also listed as a Tor exit server, when as soon as 2 days ago it was not listed as one. Whoever person/people is doing this seems to be making MORE exit servers under AirVPN instead of shutting them down!
 Update 1/3/20: Whoever was behind the Tor exit node running on the server Fang (68.235.35.214) has shut down his server on that IP, but unfortunately it looks like they have moved their Tor exit server to the AirVPN Server Groombridge (37.120.132.83)
1/4/20: For some reason he has changed the name of the server as well. And now he has moved servers again to the server Dimidium (185.228.19.147)

Share this post


Link to post

It's because people don't learn and listen to what the community have been urging them not to do for many years now.

To everyone reading this: If you are running an exit node behind AirVPN right now, stop the software!
You are doing much more harm than good!


Four simple things:
There's a guide to AirVPN. Before you ask questions, take 30 minutes of your time to go through it.

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here. It's the fallback DNS.
Running TOR exits is discouraged. They're subject to restrictions on the internet and harm all AirVPN users.

Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. If you overdo privacy, you'll be unique among the mass again.

 

XMPP: gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join our lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/30/2019 at 8:43 AM, giganerd said:

It's because people don't learn and listen to what the community have been urging them not to do for many years now.

To everyone reading this: If you are running an exit node behind AirVPN right now, stop the software!
You are doing much more harm than good!

Unfortunately it looks like whoever person or persons is behind this is creating more exit nodes behind AirVPN, not shutting any of them down! Today I was on the Canadian server Lacerta which previously was not marked as a Tor exit, and my connection was very slow, a simple web page took 10 seconds to load, then I noticed that it's exit IP (87.101.92.171) was marked as a Tor exit server now. It seemed wasteful for someone to slow down a paid service for everyone else using it, the speeds were probably painfully slow due to all the Tor traffic being forwarded through it. This morning I noticed the American server Lich (194.36.111.59) was also newly added to the list of exit nodes which brings the total exit servers hosted on AirVPN to I think 12 or 13 now, and now a few of the servers that were geographically close to me and I would regularly connect to, I can not because they are flagged as a Tor exit and have been blocked from many sites. hopefully something can be done to prevent more exit relays being created and to lift the blocks experienced on these servers that someone is running a Tor exit behind, maybe Air can request a new exit IP for the affected servers so that it is no longer associated with being a Tor exit node, because the blocks unfortunately affect everyone using those servers and it seems that whoever is running these servers (I believe at least 2 are run by the same person as I searched them up on the relays list and they had very similar names) is being very ignorant or indifferent to the effects of running a Tor exit.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, User Of AirVPN said:

hopefully something can be done to prevent more exit relays being created and to lift the blocks experienced on these servers that someone is running a Tor exit behind, maybe Air can request a new exit IP for the affected servers so that it is no longer associated with being a Tor exit node, because the blocks unfortunately affect everyone using those servers and it seems that whoever is running these servers (I believe at least 2 are run by the same person as I searched them up on the relays list and they had very similar names) is being very ignorant or indifferent to the effects of running a Tor exit. 


You cannot prevent it. We can only use the communication channels available to us to warn users not to open them.

 

Four simple things:
There's a guide to AirVPN. Before you ask questions, take 30 minutes of your time to go through it.

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here. It's the fallback DNS.
Running TOR exits is discouraged. They're subject to restrictions on the internet and harm all AirVPN users.

Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. If you overdo privacy, you'll be unique among the mass again.

 

XMPP: gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join our lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, giganerd said:

You cannot prevent it. We can only use the communication channels available to us to warn users not to open them.

 
If an IP Address has been flagged as a tor exit node, is it flagged forever, or will it be un-flagged some time after the tor exit server running on that IP closes the server?

Share this post


Link to post

I can only assume that it gets cleaned up after the server was not active for some time. I know for sure that they don't stay listed for eternity. But if anyone so much as touches the software again, the entry will be renewed, of course.


Four simple things:
There's a guide to AirVPN. Before you ask questions, take 30 minutes of your time to go through it.

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here. It's the fallback DNS.
Running TOR exits is discouraged. They're subject to restrictions on the internet and harm all AirVPN users.

Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. If you overdo privacy, you'll be unique among the mass again.

 

XMPP: gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join our lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org

Share this post


Link to post

Update 1/2/19: Unfortunately today while using the server Gliese (91.132.0.203) I was saddened to see that this IP is now also listed as a Tor exit server, when as soon as 2 days ago it was not listed as one. Whoever person/people is doing this seems to be making MORE exit servers under AirVPN instead of shutting them down!

Share this post


Link to post

 Update 1/3/20: Whoever was behind the Tor exit node running on the server Fang (68.235.35.214) has shut down his server on that IP, but unfortunately it looks like they have moved their Tor exit server to the AirVPN Server Groombridge (37.120.132.83).
Edit 1/4/20: For some reason he has changed the name of the server as well. And now he has moved servers again to the server Dimidium (185.228.19.147)

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, User Of AirVPN said:

 Update 1/3/20: Whoever was behind the Tor exit node running on the server Fang (68.235.35.214) has shut down his server on that IP, but unfortunately it looks like they have moved their Tor exit server to the AirVPN Server Groombridge (37.120.132.83)

Wow you really cracked the case gumshoe! Lol.. What are you going to do next?? Dox another user or something? Report a website being hosted on airvpn that you don't like? Not cool man. You basically want the admins to identify another Airvpn user via their ports for something you may disagree with? That's a slippery slope my friend and very disrespectful at that. People use Airvpn ports for many things. Just use another server if you are so scared of a silly ToR Exit flag.. And don't use google if you don't like captchas. Try bing or something.. Not really sure what your issue is anyway.  A server being listed as a Tor Exit / VPN means nothing other then a temporary google captcha trap.  And also someone running a tor exit , youtube, netfilx, etc has no effect on the speed of your personal Airvpn connection. I mean seriously. Just stop. As was already stated, people use vpn's for many things and privacy is key here. AirVPN isn't responsible for how the online world treats ToR exits and VPN's. They are the same damn thing on a blacklist anyway. You should STOP spying/stalking on other airvpn users internet trails and stop posting links that maybe related to them though. That is just not cool.

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, samrefree said:
On 1/3/2020 at 1:39 PM, User Of AirVPN said:

 Update 1/3/20: Whoever was behind the Tor exit node running on the server Fang (68.235.35.214) has shut down his server on that IP, but unfortunately it looks like they have moved their Tor exit server to the AirVPN Server Groombridge (37.120.132.83)

Wow you really cracked the case gumshoe! Lol.. What are you going to do next?? Dox another user or something? Report a website being hosted on airvpn that you don't like? Not cool man. You basically want the admins to identify another Airvpn user via their ports for something you may disagree with? That's a slippery slope my friend and very disrespectful at that. People use Airvpn ports for many things. Just use another server if you are so scared of a silly ToR Exit flag.. And don't use google if you don't like captchas. Try bing or something.. Not really sure what your issue is anyway.  A server being listed as a Tor Exit / VPN means nothing other then a temporary google captcha trap.  And also someone running a tor exit , youtube, netfilx, etc has no effect on the speed of your personal Airvpn connection. I mean seriously. Just stop. As was already stated, people use vpn's for many things and privacy is key here. AirVPN isn't responsible for how the online world treats ToR exits and VPN's. They are the same damn thing on a blacklist anyway. You should STOP spying/stalking on other airvpn users internet trails and stop posting links that maybe related to them though. That is just not cool.
I'm sorry, but I think you misunderstood what I was saying. You claimed that I "doxed a user", and you are insinuating that I would "Report a website being hosted on AirVPN that I don't like", but it couldn't be further from the truth. I'm confused about your claim and not sure how to respond to it, all I did was sent a link to the Tor Relay page that is publicly available and anyone can find by typing in an IP Address (an AirVPN server's IP address mind you, so no personally identifying info there) . The reason that I am listing every known AirVPN Tor node is so that other users can be aware of which servers are a Tor exit. the relay page just contained the server's IP, ports, and some other  non-identifying information related to the server. Not even a name or email, so far from a "dox", that's why I'm confused when you claim that I am doxing users. I run a Tor Bridge Relay and Middle Relay myself and I immensely believe in the right of people to access the internet freely and without censorship or snooping. You then say "You basically want the admins to identify another Airvpn user via their ports for something you may disagree with?", but not once did I express even the slightest desire for that, as I have no business or interest in "identifying" other users, and that is absolutely not what I want as I respect people's right to run Tor Relays, and run two myself because I believe in the project, however it's a different thing when inconsiderate users set up Exit Nodes on VPN servers that people paid for without taking into consideration other VPN users' experience, by getting that IP blocked on many sites, and degrading the VPN experience for everyone else using the affected servers. You say that it has no effect when a server is a Tor exit but I have witnessed the opposite. The 4 closest servers to me which I would regularly connect to are now all Tor exits, and I am noticing that now I am blocked on many sites, and I now have to connect to farther servers. It is not considerate to degrade the experience of other users who paid for the same service you did. It is undeniable that setting up an exit server on AirVPN serves much more harm than good, and you seem unable to accept that and instead are accusing me of spying on other users. That is why I think you are worked up here for no reason and you are getting strangely defensive, as you also claim that I am "spying/stalking" on users when all I did was posted a publicly available link relating to one of the tor exits which anyone can find by typing the VPN server's IP into the Tor Relay Search, a link with NO PERSONAL INFO! I have no business or interest in spying or stalking any other users. If you would like to have a productive conversation on why it is bad to run Tor Exit servers behind AirVPN, I am all for it, however if you want to be unproductive and accuse me of all these things then this conversation is not going anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, User Of AirVPN said:
I'm sorry, but I think you misunderstood what I was saying.
 
Defeat restrictions
Circumvent censorship, georestriction and traffic shaping.
All protocols welcome. Net Neutrality respected.
document_gear.png
All protocols allowed - No discrimination toward any service, protocol or application.


No.. I think you misunderstood me. I honestly don't care about how ToR works or how many ToR's you own. As was already stated by AIRVPN, you are either for or against Net Neutrality. There is no in between.  Personally, I just don't like how you snitched on and basically outed another airvpn user. Like seriously? You are of no help on here posting possible airvpn tor exits or whatever info on others. I mean seriously man? What port, protocol, or application will you disagree with next? Are you going to track down that service and post it on here? Are you going to beg Airvpn to block them? YOU would be the one who is "degrading the experience" of other users who paid for the same service you did.

Good Luck.

Share this post


Link to post

We can agree on not posting any "updates" here because they are next to useless for the problem at hand.
We can also agree on Net Neutrality as a principle to uphold. Sure it's sometimes stressing, as this recent demonstration has shown, but hey, so is democracy!
Would you put someone in the pillory because that person does not share your opinion? No, you wouldn't. So why are we chasing after Tor exit operators? We shouldn't.
They will continue doing their thing unless we address them directly with arguments, as we would do in a working democracy. That thread I linked gained so much traction on AirVPN back then, we noticed a drop in exit node flags. Our call even reached the Tor entry page which can be admired there to this day.


Four simple things:
There's a guide to AirVPN. Before you ask questions, take 30 minutes of your time to go through it.

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here. It's the fallback DNS.
Running TOR exits is discouraged. They're subject to restrictions on the internet and harm all AirVPN users.

Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. If you overdo privacy, you'll be unique among the mass again.

 

XMPP: gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join our lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, samrefree said:
 
Defeat restrictions
Circumvent censorship, georestriction and traffic shaping.
All protocols welcome. Net Neutrality respected.
document_gear.png
All protocols allowed - No discrimination toward any service, protocol or application.


No.. I think you misunderstood me. I honestly don't care about how ToR works or how many ToR's you own. As was already stated by AIRVPN, you are either for or against Net Neutrality. There is no in between.  Personally, I just don't like how you snitched on and basically outed another airvpn user. Like seriously? You are of no help on here posting possible airvpn tor exits or whatever info on others. I mean seriously man? What port, protocol, or application will you disagree with next? Are you going to track down that service and post it on here? Are you going to beg Airvpn to block them? YOU would be the one who is "degrading the experience" of other users who paid for the same service you did.

Good Luck.
I am going to stop conversing with you as this is a circular conversation and it seems that you would like to be confrontational for no good reason, you keep repeating all these unfounded accusations such as I "snitched" on another user or that I published someone's "personal information".  when I did not make any mention of any other user or users at all and the only "information" mentioned was the servers which were being used as tor nodes. Please do show me exactly how I have "snitched" on others and exactly whose information I have allegedly publicized. I also find it a bit strange that you keep insisting that I want AirVPN to block any protocol, as I am all for net neutrality and If I wanted block protocols I would use my home internet without VPN, but obviously this is not the case. Lastly I would like to clarify that I never attempted to chase after or identify anyone running these servers , nor do I wish to, ,just listed the VPN servers affected so other users can be aware. I have no ill will towards anyone at all because of what protocols they are using, and no desire for protocols to be censored/blocked, if that is what you got from my post then you have misunderstood it. The most anyone can ask is for the operators of the exits in question to be informed about the effects of running them . Anyway, unless you would like to say something constructive, I'm going to leave you to it. Good day, sir

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, User Of AirVPN said:
4 hours ago, samrefree said:
 
Defeat restrictions
Circumvent censorship, georestriction and traffic shaping.
All protocols welcome. Net Neutrality respected.
document_gear.png
All protocols allowed - No discrimination toward any service, protocol or application.


No.. I think you misunderstood me. I honestly don't care about how ToR works or how many ToR's you own. As was already stated by AIRVPN, you are either for or against Net Neutrality. There is no in between.  Personally, I just don't like how you snitched on and basically outed another airvpn user. Like seriously? You are of no help on here posting possible airvpn tor exits or whatever info on others. I mean seriously man? What port, protocol, or application will you disagree with next? Are you going to track down that service and post it on here? Are you going to beg Airvpn to block them? YOU would be the one who is "degrading the experience" of other users who paid for the same service you did.

Good Luck.
I am going to stop conversing with you as this is a circular conversation and it seems that you would like to be confrontational for no good reason, you keep repeating all these unfounded accusations such as I "snitched" on another user or that I published someone's "personal information".  when I did not make any mention of any other user or users at all and the only "information" mentioned was the servers which were being used as tor nodes. Please do show me exactly how I have "snitched" on others and exactly whose information I have allegedly publicized. I also find it a bit strange that you keep insisting that I want AirVPN to block any protocol, as I am all for net neutrality and If I wanted block protocols I would use my home internet without VPN, but obviously this is not the case. Anyway, unless you would like to say something constructive, I'm going to leave you to it. Good day, sir
Sorry if I came off as confrontational. Don't take it personal. It's all good man. I'll stop too. I seriously didn't mean it. But you need to respect others privacy and stop playing internet vpn cop lol. You posted a link with the guys email clearly there. The email is gone now I think, but I seen it other day. How would you like it if someone did that too you? "Oh I seen userofvpn@hotmail.com using this protocol/service/ip I dont like on airvpn. Guys we need to publicly out and shame him so others can see his email in this link."

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/1/2020 at 11:58 AM, giganerd said:

You cannot prevent it. We can only use the communication channels available to us to warn users not to open them.

 
This seems like a possible attack vector to me. I am not yet very well versed in the details of how Tor works, nor VPN, for that matter, but if there is no way to stop someone from setting up multiple Tor exit nodes through Air servers, could they not simply keep doing that, and bring the Air VPN service down ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, adfdsfGYYy53 said:

could they not simply keep doing that, and bring the Air VPN service down ?


It's not a Denial of Service per sé, it's just a nuisance for the users.

Four simple things:
There's a guide to AirVPN. Before you ask questions, take 30 minutes of your time to go through it.

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here. It's the fallback DNS.
Running TOR exits is discouraged. They're subject to restrictions on the internet and harm all AirVPN users.

Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. If you overdo privacy, you'll be unique among the mass again.

 

XMPP: gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join our lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, adfdsfGYYy53 said:
This seems like a possible attack vector to me. I am not yet very well versed in the details of how Tor works, nor VPN, for that matter, but if there is no way to stop someone from setting up multiple Tor exit nodes through Air servers, could they not simply keep doing that, and bring the Air VPN service down ?

 
No. That's not how airvpn works. And tor either.  You could run 5 open airvpn on your home WiFi free to public and it would be same thing. Airvpn has account based speeds.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Security Check
    Play CAPTCHA Audio
    Refresh Image

×
×
  • Create New...